Author Topic: MX tracks and double jumps.  (Read 20213 times)

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
Re: MX tracks and double jumps.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 04:48:49 pm »

I thought doubles & stutters, as apposed to whoops, were illegal on MX tracks?
We had a lot of hoops to jump through to get our track signed off yet I see so many tracks with stutters now.
I think once they're signed off it's open slather.
Just would hate to have a bad accident, for all reasons, to find out you're not covered because of an illegal jump.
You are not allowed to have single car tyres they must be bound to another, to prevent them being easily dislodged and become an obstacle on the track or rolling down hills.
Not allowed truck or tractor tyres anymore but I still see these everywhere too.

I agree that Viper friendly tracks are disappearing but there's not much we can do about it, we are not the future. More over the past.

Viper666

Have a beer and chill
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 05:03:10 pm »
Yes Brent, they've changed the track since VIPER, for the worst in my opinion. It helped the pro's by about 4 seconds per lap, but stuffed it for the majority in my opinion. But then they reckon I'm just a fat old sook. It certainly is not the Ravenswood of old.
Cheers,
K

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 05:27:14 pm »
If you guys are so worried to get on a modern MX track ther is always enduro cross. These events are run on natural terain or at least minimal jumps. They run a series in north NSW & lots of outher places as well. I am NOT dissagreing with the fact that a lot of tracks are getting a little over the top. Just there are outher events out there. Not just MX. Or as some people are pushing SX.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 05:50:35 pm »
rode manjimup this year on a pre 75 at the manjimup 15000.  Set up for modern bikes, but still rideable on a classic.  The club even holds an event there each year and is hard, but damn the smile is big
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline TC91

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 05:57:25 pm »
I'm with you Mick, the good guys will go fast anywhere but at club events the tracks need to cater for club riders. They are the ones  who make up the bulk.  I have given up trying to explain to some people that fast flowing tracks dont get as rough. Hard braking, hard accelerating makes holes. I still get to ride the pro class at club days and I am there to enjoy myself but at an earlier club day went home after the first races because I found it dangerous and awkward to ride. Every club day seems to get at least 1 big ambo ride. I went to ravo on Sunday to watch and was asked a couple of times what I thought of the track. Now I know I am old and f@#ked but in 1977 you didnt turn at the top of the hill but kept going until where the tabletop is now before turning down hill and the back of the track had a big sweeper down hill to the creek. To launch over the creek took commitment as did the down hill sweeper. Fast guys were awesome but everybody could have a crack at it. 2nd gear was used maybe twice a lap and crowds were 5 deep to watch you coming out of the creek. Sure the track would get bloody rough but not like today. To me that was a race track. 5 or 6 gears in a gearbox and get to use em all.

All Things 414

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 06:15:34 pm »
In days gone past if you made a mistake you lost time or your position. These days you make a mistake you're a good chance of losing limb or life.......
Can't remember who said it but it fits..... :-\

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 07:03:50 pm »
mx tracks in central qld are all shit. only get to 4th gear for 5 sec, no flow at all. tight with stupid tabletops and double jumps everywhere. i race vets class and 6  riders i personally know stopped racing because its too risky. i raced from 79 to 84 and honestly dont remember many accidents. now when an accident occurs its quite severe. the reason i like vmx is that the racing is close and your thinking about racing the other riders, not racing against a track and thinking about the track.

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 07:44:53 pm »
Hi All,
Speaking as a MA licensed Venue Inspector,On an MX track multiple Jumps (Double Jumps and triple jumps etc) are illegal, stutters are not but must be no more then 600 mm high with a minimum distance between of 3 metres alot of tracks have jumps that are illegal and dangerous but for some reason they keep getting passed. Jumps are not allowed to be more than 3 mts high and all bridges are to be removed after 31 dec 2008, The track i raced on over the weekend had both but was passed for a Australian Championship. If your track has what you think is illegal sections why not ask MA to explain why it is licenced. In Tasmania our tracks are all licensed to the MA Venue Standards why not the rest of Australia.

Fatboy   

TooFastTim

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 09:22:31 pm »
the tracks need to cater for club riders. They are the ones  who make up the bulk.  

Ziggactly! Another tale from when I was young, quick and foolish: we had a problem with falling numbers in enduros (actually more like hare scrambles) in Cape Town. Entries were down to 60-70 and you'd expect 40 to finish. The courses were more like extreme enduros than enduros or hare scrambles. Guys were tired of spending 500 bucks on Monday and the sport was in trouble. Two of us decided we'd lay out a course and the criterea was a wanked out XT500 would be able to get around it. The club did the admin and spread the word. The event drew 140 entries. The club smiled, the riders smiled and the same old guys won.

Easy courses make for good fun and good racing.

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 10:43:55 pm »
i can see a few valid points here i race modern mx as well as viper an i recon that the line between mx and sx needs to be more bold really what started the whole sxerising of mx tracks was arena cross being a combo of the two didnt help half the problem is that theres too many parents who want there kids to be the next rc or chad reed as nathan said but what people have to realise is that every one starts riding from the basics and there are guys that just want to have fun so changing every known track to virtually a sx track isnt helping any one  they do need some of it but just about every track in victoria is now like this theres nothing that flows any more except for barrabool and mabye wonthagi if people want a few tracks more sxish that ok but set it up properly for gods sake the only club in vic that has built a decent sx/mx style track that i recon has any sort of decent flow would have to be bacchus marsh because the have sat down and made the layout suit the jumps instead of just adding a double or set of stutters here and there so people have got to wake up and decide what they want.   :-\
MUGEN power

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 05:32:06 am »
Hi All,
Speaking as a MA licensed Venue Inspector,On an MX track multiple Jumps (Double Jumps and triple jumps etc) are illegal, stutters are not but must be no more then 600 mm high with a minimum distance between of 3 metres alot of tracks have jumps that are illegal and dangerous but for some reason they keep getting passed. Jumps are not allowed to be more than 3 mts high and all bridges are to be removed after 31 dec 2008, The track i raced on over the weekend had both but was passed for a Australian Championship. If your track has what you think is illegal sections why not ask MA to explain why it is licenced. In Tasmania our tracks are all licensed to the MA Venue Standards why not the rest of Australia.

Fatboy   

I would be interested in hearing exactly which parts of the track you are refering to,if it is Conondale you are refering to quite obviously there is a bridge but I fail to see why that would be an issue far better to have that bridge there than have spectators trying to cross the track while the racing is on and 3m jumps? are you mistaking "Drunks Hill" as  jump,It's a natural terrain part of the track,

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 10:24:31 am »
I love modern doubles as long as I am spectating.... watching the first 85cc practice of the day is usually a thriller. Supercross jumps made practice usually more interesting than the race.
formerly Marc.com

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2009, 11:16:17 am »
Fatboy,

Bridges are allowed if they have engineering certification relating to the structural integrity.  A man made jump in excess of 3 metres in height is bloody high.  A natural jump with an approach height of 3 metres is a climb...........

The fact remains that the classic racing scene is in the minority and we all had our day in the sun way back when.  Tracks are designed to reflect the wishes of the majority.  The fact that I hate them doesn't send me into a frenzy of spit and venom directed towards the now generation of mx administrators.  If I want to ride without having lifted a finger towards the organisation of the meeting, I ride and shut up.  Even with the thought that the obstacles that give me the s*%$s were created by man with a dozer and can also be removed with a dozer and then replaced with a dozer etc etc.   ;)

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2009, 11:33:24 am »
In days gone past if you made a mistake you lost time or your position. These days you make a mistake you're a good chance of losing limb or life.......
Can't remember who said it but it fits..... :-\

The above quote is very true,
                                        talking about our local track earlier on in this discussion regarding safety of the track, jumps etc. this track has just moved to the top of the list regarding injuries and worse. On the 2nd of August there was the normal club meeting with yet another severe crash on the same jump as the previous month this being the finish line jump, the young guy who crashed this time is the 23yr old son of a person who i know thru business.

The rider suffered major head trauma and was placed into an induced coma at the track then airlifted from the track to hospital (the same with the rider the previous month, and another the month before that) sadly he passed away last night.

I believe now the shite will hit the fan and these tracks will get a wake up call or at least i hope they do. Regards Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2009, 11:44:19 am »
Fatboy,

Where can I find a copy of the track regs? or are they just guidelines issued to the track inspectors? and do the track regs get set by MA or the LCB?

Tracks are designed to reflect the wishes of the majority. 

Unfortunately I think in this case it is the exact opposite, the tracks are being built to suit the wishes of an influencial minority.

Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM