Author Topic: Pre 90 VMX  (Read 46146 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 90 VMX
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2009, 11:22:46 am »
Bahnsy the EVO class is not year specific.Some twin shock bikes are not pre 80 or just EVO they are also pre 85.Is it your idea to excluded EVO bikes that where manufactured after a certain date from the pre 85 class ? ie Maicos.YZ G'S and H's , Huskies etc.
Maybe a decision should be made to make all class's either year specific or technology specific.

BTW when did you see so many pre 85 bikes in a pre 90 race ? There s a few for sure but the current top 10 in viper are all 88/89 bike save two.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009, 12:26:07 pm »
Bahnsy the EVO class is not year specific. Some twin shock bikes are not pre 80 or just EVO they are also pre 85.Is it your idea to excluded EVO bikes that where manufactured after a certain date from the pre 85 class ? ie Maicos.YZ G'S and H's , Huskies etc.
Maybe a decision should be made to make all class's either year specific or technology specific.

Motomaniac,
Correct, EVO is not exactly year specific, but by default the class is. The GCR's tell us that an EVO machine is any bike that was manafactured with an aircooled engine, fitted with drum brakes and no linkage suspension. These bikes started in the 50's (at a guess without research) and stopped around 1980/81. There wern't to many manafactured post that date that would cause any significant issues (1 rare as Husqvarna model aside)
My simple belief is that EVO is non-linkage. ie; twin shocks or Yamaha Monoshock. Pre85 is linkage suspension. This would give support to the Year Vs Technology point you raised.
In relation to Pre80, i'm not sure where this fits into the topic as there is no such class, hasn't been for 2 or so years.

BTW when did you see so many pre 85 bikes in a pre 90 race ? There s a few for sure but the current top 10 in viper are all 88/89 bike save two.

I'll plead the 5th on this one as i was basing the comment on the 2008 season. Although i did have a look at the VIPER 09 results up to the Ravenswood round, and of the 23 entrants thus far, i think that 10 of the entrants would be on Pre85 machinery, although i stand to be corrected.

Bahnsy, The organisers were on top of this and in the Sub-Regs for the event it states one bike one class (save for pre 75 and that also run age classes and the pre 75 four stroke), so it has been covered.
Shane

Shane,
So lets see if a twin shock bike fronts the start line in the Pre85 class.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2009, 12:38:06 pm »
Interesting thoughts, Bahnsy. I agree with your basic point about the CGRs needing work.

FWIW, I'm trying to think of the bikes that are "non-linkage but still not Evo legal".
So far I've thought of the 84 Husky CR250, 84 Husky WR400, 81 YZ125H, and the 2006 DT175 (which is basically irrelevant 'cause it would be spectacularly outclassed as an Evo race bike).

Maybe the Evo eligibility could be further simplified to just "Factory fitted with Non linkage rear suspension"??? Obviously with regs to also exclude added-on disc brakes etc. If the 400 Husky and the 125H were likely to upset the apple-cast, then you could specifically exclude them.
The net change would only be the wording and (hopefully) the simplicity.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:45:29 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2009, 01:17:08 pm »

Motomaniac,
Correct, EVO is not exactly year specific, but by default the class is. The GCR's tell us that an EVO machine is any bike that was manafactured with an aircooled engine, fitted with drum brakes and no linkage suspension. These bikes started in the 50's (at a guess without research) and stopped around 1980/81. There wern't to many manafactured post that date that would cause any significant issues (1 rare as Husqvarna model aside)
My simple belief is that EVO is non-linkage. ie; twin shocks or Yamaha Monoshock. Pre85 is linkage suspension. This would give support to the Year Vs Technology point you raised.
In relation to Pre80, i'm not sure where this fits into the topic as there is no such class, hasn't been for 2 or so years.

Bahnsy I mentioned pre 80 because 1. that was what we had before the Evo class was defined and included and 2. Because I was considering a cut off date for pre 85.
Back in 96 VIPER had no EVO class but included it as an extra class that ran along with pre 80 not instead of pre 80.The argument at the time was that there was some bikes eg. RM T's and CR A's YZ G's Mega Maico's and Huskies that had no place in the series - noone would expect an RMT OR CR A to match up with a for eg 84CR250/500.
Yet these bikes that were in nomans land needed to be included.And its great .
Whether you excluded EVO bikes from pre 85 competion or not is a hard one for me but I would ride both class's if I had 510 Husky.

I'll plead the 5th on this one as i was basing the comment on the 2008 season. Although i did have a look at the VIPER 09 results up to the Ravenswood round, and of the 23 entrants thus far, i think that 10 of the entrants would be on Pre85 machinery,
I think that its a fair observation that some pre 85 riders go out in pre 90 in the first round only for the extra practice.But Im not counting or splitting hairs here.In viper its a legit class and I enjoy seeing those bikes turn up to race.In fact Im thinking of giving the class a go myself.
Too bad that guys in some other states dont have the opportunity.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2009, 03:21:17 pm »
I am waiting for pre 90 to ride my 86 KTM 250 in NSW. At least the way its going I have plenty of time to get it up to scratch.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2009, 05:51:51 pm »
Magoo, they seem to have got sidetracked, so back to my hair ,or lack of it.
I have plenty of luxurious hair, it just happens to be increasingly on my backside..

STW996

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2009, 06:32:14 pm »
Bahnsy, they may well (ride a twin shock in pre 85) but what I am saying it is one class or the other not both?

If it is not pre 78 and can run to the pre 85 rules then why not?? If you get a good rider on it, it maywell even run a place.

My idea of pre 90 is not so pre 85 riders can ride up but that we can still get the average working joe with not a lot of cash (wife 2 kids maybe?) a ride at club events.

I am riding 2 x pre 85 bikes at the nationals but would not have been concerned at all if they were still not a championship class as I do like the more low key state (club) events.

I am more a bums on seat kind of guy, I would far more like to go to an event that has 100 riders and 12 different classes (all full I might add) then go see 40 blokes (club level this is) run in the same races over and over again with some classes only have 4 to 5 bikes and the only ones interested in watching are their family and friends?

I think that is my main point.

But each to their own I say.

Shane

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2009, 07:20:26 pm »
I see Ballard is riding an '81 490 enduro in the pre '85 class and a '81 490 mx in the Evo class. Seems fair enough, only riding 1 bike per class..

All Things 414

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2009, 07:47:03 pm »
This is crap. How can I not ride my '81 model bike in Pre-85? It defies logic. Like having to lower my suspension because the other manufacturers where way behind in 1977. Even at a National level let alone something like Viper. If I have to have a different bike for every class then I'm stayin' home...... >:(

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2009, 07:48:02 pm »
Liz the jaffas are waiting for you to run 6 meetings a year like those old fellas.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

TM BILL

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »
This is crap. How can I not ride my '81 model bike in Pre-85? It defies logic. Like having to lower my suspension because the other manufacturers where way behind in 1977. Even at a National level let alone something like Viper. If I have to have a different bike for every class then I'm stayin' home...... >:(

Absolutley , this is the one rule i really cant understand  ::) you cant change history and people have been riding older bikes in classes since racing started.

TM BILL

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2009, 08:01:18 pm »
Liz the jaffas are waiting for you to run 6 meetings a year like those old fellas.

It will never happen Mike  ;) their all wind and piss  ::)

Long live the good old boys  :D looking forward to the next 20 yrs of the Classic scramble club  :)

Hey Richard if your reading this come back mate  :) their not worth it .

All Things 414

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2009, 08:01:28 pm »
You've got guys saying "let people race these bikes that never existed" (ala non-monoshocked YZ's and twin-shock '82 RM's) and another lot saying "you can't race that bike because it doesn't fit in with how we'd like these races to look" even though the fuggin bikes existed at the time!!! FARK!!! :-\ :-\

* and when I say existed I mean something that you could actually go on down to your local dealer and buy. Not some replica of a bike or someones idea of what a works bike might have looked like if the manufacturer had these left-over bits hanging around the factory.....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:06:13 pm by All Things 414 »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2009, 08:05:01 pm »
yeah i dont get that. I would much rather prefer to ride my 82 twinshock PE250 in Pre 85 rather than evo because of having a flatslide carby and my shocks are designed to be pre 85 correct and were around in pre 85 but not pre 80 so i wouldnt feel comfortable having it in EV0 even though its a technology class.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:09:57 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

magoo

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2009, 08:13:57 pm »
So what you're saying is if you ride a pre '65 bike you can ride every race of the weekend, if you have a Pre '70 bike you can ride every race except Pre '65. I don't get what the problem is, you have a Pre '75 bike, race Pre '75, if you have a Pre '85 bike, ride Pre '85. Don't worry about Pre '80, there is no such thing, IT DOESN'T EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!