Author Topic: Pre 90 VMX  (Read 46111 times)

All Things 414

Re: Pre 90 VMX
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 07:53:49 pm »
If that Brit site is anything to go by, I'm off to stock up big on '99 YZ parts......... ;D

Heikki360

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 07:54:40 pm »
Suzuki43, your assumptions are wrong and the personal abuse unfortunate - as is your intolerance of those who don't share your point of view. Thought it was a discussion group. My mistake, one I won't make again.

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 08:10:13 pm »
Obviously I am missing the point, as I cannot see why the pre-90 people WANT to be included in VMX. By all means ride whatever you like, but just delete the "V". It's a bit like turning up to the Vintage Bentley Club in your 2009 Corolla - why bother?

Ha! You certainly are!
I love how this comes up every few months. Not everybody is pushing 50 and rode in the 'golden years' of mx. Some of us are eighties guys. As i say every time , you guys have been able to relive your glory days, why cant I??
VMX started in the very late eighties, say even 1990. So a 74 model was only 16 years old. My glory bike is an '85 CR500. That makes it 24 years old. More than enough time has passed for me to enjoy my old shitter too!
Oh and bring on the fluro!

suzuki43

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 08:27:45 pm »
Hey Heikki sorry about the false accusation mate.Excuse me whilst I adjust my mohawk.

magoo

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 08:41:09 pm »
As for banning the hairstyles Mr 27, you only say that to hide your saddness in natures cruelty in taking away the option for you to grow it.

suzuki43

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 08:43:35 pm »
If ever there was and advertisement for natures cruelty Magoo, it has to be you....
Ahh just finished reading some late 80's mx magazines talk about satanic verses.....

Rosco400

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 08:47:45 pm »
If ever there was and advertisement for natures cruelty Magoo, it has to be you....

:D

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 09:03:33 pm »
Hey Guys I just read this topic from start to finish .Talk about having fun! I cracked up several times.You Guys chould start your own TV reality show - "motocrossers fued" or somethin'.

I'm siding with Hoony ,Brad,Magoo and  some guy Shane who I don't know.

'THE PROPHET JAGGER" ! whats in your coffee Hoonster?
Anyways reality is that Vipers pre 90 class in not called a vintage class -yet - and is a great success .If it wasn't there 10 or so enrties wouldn't be there either.
Also our VCM series which was always pre 75 based , went pre 78 and now for over a year has an Evo class.They changed with the times overall entries for the meetings are up , the series keeps going and everyone is having fun!
When I first saw a " pre 80" race meet in the mid 90's there was already a pre 85 class.We are well into the 0's now so pre 90 seems natural to me.

Pre 75 needs to be preserved (and pre 70 etc) but bikes and parts are getting harder to come by and more expensive.Its also happening with Evo bikes , pre 85 and pre 90 is easier and cheaper for a lot of guys who aren't up to the seriousness of racing moderns.Its all fun as Hoony said.
I 've been looking for a good pre 90 bike for a while.I also have my beloved 94 ready for oneday when theres a pre 95 and a mint 99yz with a bunch of trick stuff for the pre 00 (over 60) class haha.

We will see where the boys go!

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 09:36:37 pm »
Yeah, I've been watching this thread too...I just wish I had one of them popcorn munching smilies to use... ;D

Anyway, FWIW my take on the pre 90 is that it IS inevitable, even though I struggle personally with the technology similarities with modern bikes.

What I would like to think may happen (in my utopian world) is that some people will be drawn into the Vintage scene by the pre 90s and then get fascinated by the pre75s and earlier, thereby preserving their competition and relevance.

I will say however that there are many around this sport that are in denial about the "younger" bike classes and in my opinion, this is not a good thing for the sport as a whole.  It's much better to include than exclude simply because it's a positive not a negative and people respond much better to positive inputs.

I am fortunate to be exposed to all kinds of bikes nowadays and I have to tell you that regardless of my personal preferences, some of the older bikes are just plain beautiful to behold.  Hopefully, some of our pre 90 newcomers will feel the same way about our pre 75 bikes, when they join our ranks.  ;)

Curly3

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 09:39:47 pm »
Wow, plenty of passion here, good to see.
Maybe there could/should be a sliding scale of a new class every 5 years.
As with computers most of the bikes are already superseded by the time they are available to us.
If your keen and want to compete we should be trying to accommodate everyone.
By the way anything pre 80 is my preference.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 11:06:19 pm »
"I am fortunate to be exposed to all kinds of bikes nowadays and I have to tell you that regardless of my personal preferences, some of the older bikes are just plain beautiful to behold.  Hopefully, some of our pre 90 newcomers will feel the same way about our pre 75 bikes, when they join our ranks. "

Hey AJ I agree about the bikes being beautifull but then in my opinion so is the certain pre 90 works bike that was featured in V(VINTAGE)MX magazine a while back and I DONT LIKE GREEN!
I don't have a pre 75 bike yet -still looking.
To make a point - I was recently travelling down the Newell on the way back from QLD. Passing through Finlay at night I caught a glimpse of something in the corner of my eye.I quickily made the suggestion to the woman that we should take a break and stretch our legs a bit.She was full of suspicion.Anyway I pulled up on the far side of the "CDB' and we head back into town .
Yes an very clean looking MX360A ."I just wanna check how much its going for darling"
NOT FOR SALE! and that my friends is the way its (pre 75) is going .

If more guys coming into the scene suddenly lust after a pre 75 bike then the prices will just go up until the yonger guys won't see the justification when they can buy a later model bike that is available and that they can afford.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 11:09:52 pm »
What I would like to think may happen (in my utopian world) is that some people will be drawn into the Vintage scene by the pre 90s and then get fascinated by the pre75s and earlier, thereby preserving their competition and relevance.
Hopefully, some of our pre 90 newcomers will feel the same way about our pre 75 bikes, when they join our ranks.  ;)

It does work like that, quite often. The reality is that once people are involved in the sport of VMX, very few of the participants remain blinkered to any era - everyone develops an interest (and often an active interest) in the other eras.

I like the rest of your post too.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

STW996

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 06:16:30 am »
Me I was just blowing off steam with TM Bill getting ready for next week!! all that built up adrenalin need to get rid of it somewhere ;D

Magoo, can you bring me up one of your mullet hair pieces for me to use on the weekend as I seem to have the reverse mullet going pretty good these days :D

Hey Magoo, why don't we kick off a pre 90 challenge series? maybe a tri-state thing one round in QLD, one in NSW and one in the home of pre 90 Victoria??

Any takers?

Shane
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:20:03 am by STW996 »

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 09:40:20 am »
The way that the GCR’s have been constructed, specifically in relation to riding up a class, then introducing a Pre90 class would technically be nothing more than a second opportunity for a Pre85 competitor to get more races at a given event. Using the Victorian VIPER series as a guide, as they have been running with a Pre90 format for some years now, the biggest percentage of bikes in the Pre90 class are Pre85 machines.   

As it is currently with Pre85, there is nothing in the GCR’s that will stop a Pre78, or EVO bike from running in the Pre85 events. This (in my opinion) is not in the spirit of the class structure. We should be promoting each class on its own merits with matching technology other wise we will have entrants building high end EVO bikes and running them in EVO, Pre85 & Pre90.

My feeling is that if I was to stand on sidelines as a spectator of a Pre85, or for that matter a Pre90 event, I don’t want to see twin shock bikes mixed in with single shock bikes. Pre78, EVO and Pre85 are fairly well defined periods in the Australian scene and there is a fair & reasonable amount of events to allow each group of bikes to run against themselves without the need to bolster the ranks with entrants riding up a class.

It will be interesting to see how many twin shock or non linkage bikes are scheduled to run in the Pre85 class at the 09 Nationals that may also be entered in the EVO classes.

Pre90 is a great class, but…….. The GCR’s need to be addressed for the other classes before Pre90 is considered.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

STW996

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 11:04:32 am »
Bahnsy, The organisers were on top of this and in the Sub-Regs for the event it states one bike one class (save for pre 75 and that also run age classes and the pre 75 four stroke), so it has been covered.

Shane