Author Topic: YZ250B 1974 for sale on eBay!  (Read 14706 times)

mx250

Re: YZ250B 1974 for sale on eBay!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 08:15:58 am »
My guess is that the final saleprice will be $5k~$6k, (although I seem to be wrong more often than right lately). Anyone want to bet against me?
You're probably right although I think the upper price for a 'poor but complete and unrestored' should be $4000. I think the frenzy of Ebay will get it to $5000. An excellent restored one should get $10,000+ and it would be easy to put $4-5000 into a NOS resto.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 02:13:45 pm »
I think the upper price for a 'poor but complete and unrestored' should be $4000. I think the frenzy of Ebay will get it to $5000. An excellent restored one should get $10,000+ and it would be easy to put $4-5000 into a NOS resto.

normally a POS ratty heap will sell for $5000 and a mint one will sell for $5500, people love a doer upper.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 03:25:29 pm »
fortunately parts are readily available for this model...........................or maybe I should say they are rare as hens teeth so you won't bid against me  ;)

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

albrid-3

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 09:31:15 pm »
I keep telling a lot of you fellows, thE B model Yamaha where on sale in the show room floor at Pitmans Yamaha S.A.In 1974 and Dave Basham  was racing them at easter time 1974, l was their racing at the S.A Titles, and Pitman viewing the YZ 250 /360 B.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 10:21:11 pm »
It will be interesting to see what it goes for, Im doing one at the moment and crank and barrel rebuilds (chrome bore will be cactus, best to put a sleeve in it) will be the best part of $1500 . The correct clutch actuating cable cover will probably cost $250 to $350 ,if you can find one , theres a good chance the gearbox will need work as well ( fragile gearbox in YZAs and Bs) wheels $1000 ect, ect. A good resto on one of these would cost $8 to $10k easily. I paid $350 for mine about 6 years ago.I reckon $1500 tops but its already at $1600 so let the fools keep on bidding. These bikes are worth more parted out. They are too heavy compaired to pre 75 twinshocks and not competitive in pre 78.They are still an awsome bike though and im building mine as a pre 78 racer with a trick monoshock. Cheers John.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

dave

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 10:26:22 pm »
It's already gone over 2K!! ;)

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 12:24:48 am »
Davey - no where near as bad as that.  Recently finished a 360 - motor and gearbox $1500 complete - sleeve, pistons, rod, bearings, undercut gears etc etc etc.  Clutch actuating cable is available off later models (want a race bike or garage queen) - Clutch push lever assembly $100.  Rims, spokes etc - SM Pro around $700 - depends on where you go.  As to not being a very good pre 75 bike - I think you are 100% wrong there!  Parts are readily available and not expensive either.  I know of 360's going for around $10-$13K as there were only 1459 360s made and 2759 250s made - if a Honda CR250M can pull $4 to $5K then this should at least make the same.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

basil44

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 07:43:35 am »
Hey Rosco, are you putting tyres, tubes bearings ect on those $700 wheels? ;D I dont want to sound negative at all but every properly restored bike is gunna cost big $. You wont see many 3K clunkers at the front of any race,as for the $100 clutch actuating cover Ill have half a dozen (now the ebayers will post up 10) I race YZAs and next year my B ( complete with some trick OW forks ect).The B model weighs approx 12? kgs more than the As and when you have to restrict the monoshock to 4 inches travel it dont work to good thats why we have gone the pre 78 way with more travel. It would be good to catch up with you at the nats if your there,Im number 88.Cheers John.

mx250

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:17 am »
...... and when you have to restrict the monoshock to 4 inches travel .......i
Gee that's crap. When one of the most significant models of all time is reduced in competitiveness due to rules ::).

(And now the rules also effect market value :P :-[)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 12:50:21 pm »
OKay i have seen this bike.

I went over to have a look the other night.  what you dont see in the pictures is alot. :'(

I took over a fist full of cash as was ready to deal, then as we kept haggling i noticed more and more.  Im now of the opinion this bike is worth no more than $3k, and that is generous based on the price of the tank, rear wheel, left case and barrel and whats left of the orignal internals.  Any more $ is just pure emotional content by the bidder.

The rest of the bike is held together with fencing wire and mostly bent broken parts including, but not limited to gutter bolts.

IF it was a 'A' model it would be worth more to me cause in my opinion a twin shock is easier to sort out, the fact this one had no more than a sping and no shock instill's even more doubt in my mind that it couldnt be refreshed without  lotsa time and money, and then would owe you more than you could sell it for. 

TO get $10K back it would have to be NOS NOS NOS.  why cause you can get them still race ready for far less, and this one unless you replaced absolutley every think wouldnt even make nos and you would still be behind.  MY gut feel is a fringe retirery will buy it thinking its an easy restore and his mates told him they go for heaps fixed up.

Here is a list of the most immiediate things i noticed and why i didnt push any harder, and in the end was happy to walk away. 

For what its worth he has already been offerred $3500, but dont waste your time cause pushing as he is going to let the auction run. 

IF you want to bid i strongly suggest you leave it to the last hour so you dont artificially pump up the Value during the week and im subtley saying here increase the oppertunity for dodgey bids.  he did discuss his sale plans with me, after i stopped/dropped my interest.

any how things you might not notice in the photo's and should know when your deciding what its worth are.  There are a lot of fixes and get runnings with bush mechanic here so take note as a min:

- Complete Front wheel is out of a DT or similar steel with the speedo drive
- Sliders are YZ but i couldnt see the taper on the tops so the inners may be other, one sticks like it has a bent rod so too
- somthing strange with the Tripples too they may be steel and the top plate looks lit it has a speedo mount so it may be part of that Dt repair 
- handle bars, controls and  cables are all totally rooted.  BArs bend in on both sides alot ( like a choper  ( she has taken lotsa hits) levers are all sorts and are bend, jammed or rooted, so too are the cables.
- Although Tank has correct strap its got a few knee dent and wouldnt come off with out a fight, supect twist in frame mounts.
- Frame has many rewelds by home welder, not limited to repairs or insergence to engine mounts, braces etc
- Previous home handy man also welding in 2 rear foot pegs plates into the rear arm and i say into.  Also had a go and welded a side stand onto it.
- seat is just a peice of foam with about 3 rolls of black tape run around it to make a cover of sorts
- rear and front gaurds powder, cracked, rear is not correct and is zipped tied just under rail, front is just broken shit.
- rear hub is original. As in not matching the front Dt wheel
- There is no innner lining to the gaurd or airbox area it has a piecs of white plastic stopping the mud going up under the frame/seat
- Exhaust, well other than it oozing some kind of black tar along it lenght i suspect its cracked or split in a few places
- Electrics, well they seem to start at some point and end at another, my guess is its off somthing else as it patched all over the shop and the colours are wrong as the twisted mass comes out the stator cover also the Cdi usually on the front i couldnt find anywhere so you guess is as good as mine what the entire electrics is off.
- We couldn't get the bike to start, appart from the fact the kick start ( may also be off somthign else), kept falling off and was held on by more fencing wire it didnt feel that strong.  im guesing all the shit onthe exhast is the chome bore deteriating and now the piston gap is so big the oil is just blowing by probally has for the last 6 years or so by the look of it.
- couldnt check the box as the selctor spin on the shaft, suspect one of both sets of teeth are stripped, cases have differant bolts including those Roof course thread gutter bolts, so im guessing its been apart, and if not those threads would all need helicoils, unless they are jamm in and split/crack held in
the clutch actuator cover is a broken Dt1, cracked and snapped off, had a chain through it, the engine was too oily and dirty for me to see if that had taken out any of the left case area, but to do what it has its likley. the cover and acutator isnt working so there is some money there.
- for some reason the right hand case looks differant to the left and not what i remeberr on my yz so its possible that one case is a Dt or similar fixer up, which then leads me to what clutch basket it has and what internals are still YZ in there.  this guy wouldnt know, and i dint want to undo those interesting bolts to find out
- barrel and head are right but im prity confident you would need to put a new steel liner in, plus based on a the maintenace level of everything else and condition a full rod kit and bearing sets throughout the whole motor.

I could go on but i think you get my drift.

I have looked at 2 other B and and A recently and was taking arounfd the $5K and they were Race ready and then some, also that silver /black MAico in Syd that was on a few weeks back for $5.5 makes this look like a joke.

Im agreeing with MArcx or whowever it was up higher posting, for the same money you would get a much better bike and with less head forks.   this bike is NOT any good for a resto unless for some mental reason must have a "B" in the first place and then just the cases and frame need to match cause thats about all you could salvage there.  YOu would have to buy new or replace prity much everything  :'(

Ive have been sleeping on this, going through it and for the life of me still cant see any value in anythign other than the tank, rear wheel, fork sliders and what can be salvage within the motor.    I bought a fully rebuilt worked YZ 360 motor last week from the states for $1500Au, so i cant see the value is whats left even if i put $1000 on that plonker motor, the rest of the bits just dont add up to the balance of even $2.5 -  3K.

If this thing keeps going up any further from what i see is just pure emotional and some need for folks to say they own somthing or think collecting a set gets cred..  There is no tangible reason otherwise.

BAsically There are too many other good bikes out there in the $5K mark available right now, that are so much better value.

IF you have bid stop and think, even retract and have a go in the last hour, your just overinflating the worth, which is detrimental to every other one that comes up because they will all use this as some stupid Ebay referance ( my mate says it worth $10 cause one sold on ebay once)  Stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but think about what you are paying for and why are you paying that.

I cant be sure but i think this frame came up over 18 month ago on ebay i think from from murray bridge then disappeared of the radar, at the time i remember adam Scard going through all the wierd things but i cant find the thread ( could have been back in the turk period) which is why i thinking that right case is Dt1 cause that one had som weird thing going on with that and the frame under the tank where the top shock mount is.  But im really only going on memory and a DeJa Vu here.

I give this one 3 roaches, based on the other ones i have physically seen in the last 3 months.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:31:22 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

All Things 414

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 12:56:20 pm »
There's no pleasing some people....... ::)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:46 pm »
NA 414, ive had my share of disappointments and wish i only Knew's.

This thing needs more parts sourced than it actually  has  ??? if thats comment makes any sence. ( too spend more than it has ? ) yopu get my drift

IF i paid good money for that bike and transported interstate and then saw that on my door step, without knowing up front,  i would be shattered.   How do i know that ? i had a YZA motor send over and when it turned up it had a DT Clutch and right hand case ? WTF - i was devistated and the seller just said, i dont know whats inside, and you never asked. ....raped  :-X

Trust me if you had this turn up after putting out good Coin with the expectaion it was a barn find, you would be hiding it from not only you misses but telling your mates you bought it in a garge sale for a Grand.

for warned is for told.

ps.... stop pushing the price up you pricks, i got onto a fella with a few frames and your killing me, he now thinks he can see jesus in the weld's or somthing as he keeps thinking there worth the price of a Jesus toast, water stained wood or a mother teresa potato Chip.  ::)

Quit it !   >:(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:26:21 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 01:28:45 pm »
Freaky I'm still lookin for you over here too...but I can't fight the wolves off forever..an owner is buying British, so he might sell off one of these Yammie bikes..
cheers
ps:beware I have a voodoo doll rossco & tossa
Best is in the West !!

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 01:30:27 pm »
Basil - yep shall be at the Nats - #34.  I say again - I restoed the 360 and didn't find it that bad - Things like 91-2000 YZ250 rods fit (think that was about right) - yes of course tyres on top but SM Pro rims aren't that expensive(also do you always need rims - I replaced 1).  Gearboxes - what bikes from that era have strong boxes (and now there will probably be heaps come out  >:() but I only had to undercut mine.  It didn't cost me anymore than a repair on my CR250 when the main bearing let go.  They shouldn't be made out to be difficult.  In fact I dont think there are too many out there parted out because there were so few of them and people kept them together.  If we are talking clutch cables ie to the handlebar  :-\ I can lay my hands on 25 of them as we speak for between $35 and $50USD.  Hardest part I found to get was the clutch push lever but even so they turn up but are expensive.  I dont think they are heavy and by geez they go and handle compared to what I have had before - they have a reputation for being a good bike and I think they deserve it!

Freaky thanks for the feedback on the visit - much appreciated - I have stopped bidding now.

cheers
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 01:32:53 pm »
Allison - you won't get the one you are thinking of......................believe me!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B