Author Topic: Sprite-UK/American Eagle-USA /Alron-AUST  (Read 323152 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite/Alron/American Eagle
« Reply #300 on: November 10, 2009, 09:44:09 PM »
We are looking for a good photo of an American Eagle Talon 405 right hand sidecover,please..think we have found one 15km from here (home) .
cheers
S&A WA
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 10, 2009, 10:56:22 PM »
Just a side cover or a complete bike?????????
Quite a score  down south ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 10, 2009, 11:15:06 PM »
Just a side cover or a complete bike?????????
Quite a score  down south ;D

Engine Case-where the imprint is suppose to be
I know there is a good pic somewhere  :P
ps good to hear from you VMX60
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 26, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »
Hi group,

Below a message sent to me from the USA regarding riding an American Eagle/Husky 250 clone motor:-

VMX60 

Glad to share what I can remember of my experience with Sprites.  My mx family had seen the impressive AE Team at the infamous Hopetown through the barn '68 or '69 Inter Ams and thinking they were American made bought first the 125 and a year or 2 later the 250. The local dealer let me test ride the 250 Kawi motor version which I remember was impressive, but we ordered the Husky copy, wanting to be like the Euro heroes.

Though I'd just turned expert, at 13 I was pretty inexperienced so it's hard to give a fair evaluation.  Seemed to handle OK, but thinking about it now has jarred memories of at least 2 nasty crashes where I got banged up pretty bad. One on the 125 was a classic swap and endo on a whooped loamy track, and the other on the 250  was after getting sideways over a jump. We put Curnutts on them both and still they had a nasty habit of going sideways over jumps with a lip.

I think they turned pretty well. Both Zundapp and Husky copy motors had wretchedly terrible shifting. The 125 had 10 neutrals even having gotten all the mods don by pre FMF Donny Emler who was working for EC Birt's Precision Cycle (this is what led to meeting Emler and working/ porting for FMF for the next 2 decades). The 125 was very slow stock. It was competitive after Emler's extensive porting, a larger Bing carb, and a modified Suzuki factory accessory stamped downpipe.

My brother and I raced the '69 125 on and off for 3 years, and both bikes seemed fairly reliable. We never even opened up the 250 motor and just made due with missing shifts. It had good bottom end and a wide power band and didn't need too much shifting.

I remember the brakes were pretty bad with a spongy cable year and non existent front. The very cool stock Tomaselli levers seemed to have a bad leverage ratio and the clutches wee very stiff on both bikes. Both the early style AE seats, and the later added full length "couch" seats as named and joked by Emler, sacked out very quickly.  Forks seemed pretty good and of surprisingly good quality.

The 125 came with just side number plates, though alloy I think. The 250 came with the beautiful cast side panels, but they were so thick and crude, they must have weighed 5 pounds.

Raced the 125 in the '71 Barstow to Vegas and actually finished, mid pack. The bike was very beat up with bent rims, crushed down pipe, broken off rear fender, and just remembered the left foot peg broke off with the mount going too.  It was a miserable experience, hot and dusty, and my last desert race ever.

I did get my first ever expert win on the 125 at a big Nor Cal mud race. We'd just coincidentally put on a new Trelleborg rear and I think I was the only one who could get up the big hills at the Carnagie Trans Am track. I think I won $40. Had a really beautiful photo  on the 125 from Hangtown '71, but seems to have been lost. The AEs do bring back a lot of fond memories both good and bad. 

Your projects sound fun and interesting, but to be honest I can't imagine a Phantom motor in a Sprite frame. Be careful! and watch for steering head frame cracks and breaking.   

Still haven't heard from and been approved for the OZ group. If you want post this and the photo for me.  Good talking to you, Robert

Will post a photo later

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 27, 2009, 12:41:47 AM »
Fantastic report VMX60,that's for sharing,the stories just keep evolving  ;D

Will we catch up with you VMX60 and your stead in the new year ?

Looking through old programs very soon JC  ;)   8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #305 on: November 27, 2009, 06:57:09 AM »
Yeah great yarn. Who's the rider?

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 27, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »
Hi
This is the Photo  of Robert racing  his Eagle 250 husky clone motor in Carlsbad USA about 1971.
Still is a very fast guy racing Ossa Phantom today
Great insight from a rider of a sprite powered anything point of view
 Cheers

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 28, 2009, 09:57:02 AM »
Yeh, thanks for that VMX60.

Looking through old programs very soon JC  ;)   8)
cheers

That'd be great Alison.

There has been some other movement on the station too:

We have tracked down & talked to numerous other people who worked for Alron - several mechanics who assembled the Alrons, a saleseman who sold them & still has his records, another rider who rode one for RL in MX circa '74, a chap who was at the auction when Alron was liquidated, & Bob Johnston who was the Alron works/development rider (not Ron Johnstone as reported in the press of the day). Even a REVS report announcing their works rider.

One contact leads to another & another....   Its amazing who's still around & remembers.

And we've located another complete 400 & another 400 rolling chassis (that I wasn't aware of before).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:06:18 AM by JC »

mx250

« Reply #308 on: November 28, 2009, 10:16:17 AM »
And we've located another complete 400 & another 400 rolling chassis (that I wasn't aware of before).
All kudos. This is turning into a great saga. I'm looking forward to the VMX article which must surely emerge, and I'm looking forward to the Detective novel and Movie based on the saga ;D. I'm even looking forward to the story behind the story, the story of gathering the evidence ;D.

firko

« Reply #309 on: November 28, 2009, 11:51:25 AM »
..........and there's shitloads more but you'll have to wait until I finish the book. There's simply too much for a magazine article. We've uncovered one of the best untold stories in our sports history, and it's not just the Alron scam. ;D 

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 28, 2009, 12:09:28 PM »
Firko/JC

Reading Roberts rider report on the Eagle 250
Brought it because it was
Made in American????????
Another untold story maybe book number two in your series
Cheers

mx250

« Reply #311 on: November 28, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
..........and there's shitloads more but you'll have to wait until I finish the book. There's simply too much for a magazine article. We've uncovered one of the best untold stories in our sports history, and it's not just the Alron scam. ;D 
Are we talking TV/Movie rights yet? ;D.

firko

« Reply #312 on: November 28, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »
Another untold story maybe book number two in your series
Cheers
That's the crux of my story. The American part of the yarn is even better than the Alron part and that's gold. The whole Sprite saga gets a run, not just Alron. Who's Robert and how do I get in touch with him?

Are we talking TV/Movie rights yet? .
All tied up with Robert Downey starring as Brian Clarkson, Sir Anthony Hopkins as Frank Hipkin and Jack Thompson as Dodgy Ronnie Lyon. ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:47:59 PM by firko »

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 28, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »
That doesn’t look like a husky motor to me, it looks like a American eagle with the round ignition cover not the husky type ignition cover, i could be wrong, it also has a radial head

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:56:42 PM by 67Husky »
1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

firko

« Reply #314 on: November 28, 2009, 01:24:06 PM »
That doesn’t look like a husky motor to me
I was thinking the same thing, the engine looks Sprite to me, that ignition cover is a givaway and I'm pretty sure they aren't interchangable with the Husky item. The radial head looks like it doesn't belong as well. Aftermarket maybe? It sticks out way further than the barrel fins.