Author Topic: Sprite-UK/American Eagle-USA /Alron-AUST  (Read 339237 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite/Alron/American Eagle
« Reply #540 on: April 29, 2010, 05:43:34 pm »
Many of the Wasp frames have often been classed as TIG welded but as far as I know they are/were all brazed then nickle chrome plated so as to not over harden them.
What ever they are beautiful even after many years of use.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 30, 2010, 10:47:55 am »
Hallelujah - finally managed to track down Graham Sully last night! (Mitch's fellow Alron-sponsored rider in enduros) Very useful contact & more of the picture.

Have been laid low by whooping cough for months, but have also spoken to RL a few times. The number he volunteered (before I asked or disclosed any of my info) for how many produced is lower than previously claimed anywhere. Still seems to like pork pie ("I had 3 retail shops & over 50 staff" at some stage) but some of what he says is true.

Its a laborious task tho cross-checking everything against what other insiders say. Umpteen STD/mobile calls later... If anything cannot be verified by others it gets discarded. Feel like a detective on a case sometimes. In fact RL said "you should have been a cop" when he heard who we've tracked down.  So far we've talked to 8 insiders from the early years & another 6 who were a bit later - the tail end of the Alron years (the bike years, not the business years)

Have also spoken w RL's mechanic thro the Alron years. Top guy - Invaluable contact. I do believe we are getting very close to the real facts. He's shed more light on the numbers produced, the rego'd bikes & on the so-called Rickman 250 Enduro that they "sold about 30 of"

Have also tracked what was left-over at the end. No, it wasn't dumped. Much of what was reported about the lefto-vers in VMX earlier (#7) is actually pretty close to the truth

There's even an interesting story of one of our real icons of MX trying a 400 Alron (before he was an icon)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:17:01 am by JC »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 30, 2010, 10:55:27 am »
Slowly but surely, have you told my old man that you got in contact with RL, I'm sure he would love to know and contact Ron
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 03, 2010, 09:08:32 am »
Yeh Tossa, I had given it to him, but he must've forgotten. Nice talking to him (Mitch) on Sat, as always. Thanks for ringing

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 10, 2010, 11:45:40 am »
Joney's American Eagle rebuild.

1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

Offline darren4867

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 11, 2010, 09:20:18 pm »
This is my sprite 405 belive could have been  built for welsh 2 day enduro as is road reged.Im also looking for a fiberglass tank for another im going to build.How do I post a picture

firko

« Reply #546 on: May 11, 2010, 09:46:40 pm »
Hi Darren.....go back over these posts and you may be able to work it out. It's a bit awkward at first but eventually you'll get it. Good luck, I'd like to see your bike. http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=3727.0

firko

« Reply #547 on: May 11, 2010, 10:00:54 pm »
Here's Jonesys 405 A/E tank, straight back from the painter.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 13, 2010, 08:16:56 am »
Love the colour of that tank. Is Jonesy's gearbox  going to have Husky internals?

Also, did anybody notice in the article on Robin Humphries & his REH forks & hubs in latest CDB that he says most of his production went to Frank Hipkin for the Sprites?

firko

« Reply #549 on: May 13, 2010, 10:07:07 am »
JC....Alans Sprite engine was originally to recieve a Husky trans but as this bike is to be totally original and is in perfect condition, the Husky bits will be held over for one of the other engines probably the Alron replica which will probably be raced.
I read Robin Humphries comments and it's true but only for the early models until Sprite set up their own foundry producing hubs, forks and other castings. Part of the Sprite Developments conglomerate were the Industrial Screw Products Ltd and the casting arm of the company, Sprite Alloys Ltd that produced all sorts of components including hubs and forks directly the same products that REH produced. We've compared Sprite and REH hubs and while they're similar (as are Rickman and Antig), they have distinctly noticable differences.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:51:19 am by firko »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 13, 2010, 11:31:32 am »
Thanks Mark.

I remembered something I think you posted here from Frank, pointing out the differences between his & REH forks & hubs & thats why I mentioned the CDB article.

I have noticed tho that there are 2 diff types of forks used by Sprite, so wondered if they used REH productes for a while until they cast their own. Perhaps the same w hubs

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 13, 2010, 03:17:40 pm »
I have noticed tho that there are 2 diff types of forks used by Sprite,

Ceriani English equivalent Slim Line  ?? which is the other ?
cheers
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #552 on: May 13, 2010, 03:56:53 pm »
I have noticed tho that there are 2 diff types of forks used by Sprite, so wondered if they used REH productes for a while until they cast their own.
That's correct JC. REH forks were used prior to Sprite making their own. Alison, to my knowledge Ceriani forks weren't use on production bikes....not sure of the slimnline reference.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 13, 2010, 05:31:07 pm »
Alison, if you look at the BVM in VMX #30 the forks on the bike on top of p27 are diff to forks on the feature bike

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 13, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »
Alison, to my knowledge Ceriani forks weren't use on production bikes....not sure of the slimnline reference.

Cycle Guide Dec 68...
The front forks are an English copy of the Ceriani,Slim line is their name and soaking up bumps is their game.
Included with the forks is the biggest fork crown we have seen.Slime Line feels that balll bearings are not good enough for the triple clamp so where the folks bolt to the frame a row of tapered rollers is found,a point where the copy is better than the original.

Alison, if you look at the BVM in VMX #30 the forks on the bike on top of p27 are diff to forks on the feature bike

thanks- will read
cheers
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:11:12 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!