Author Topic: Sprite-UK/American Eagle-USA /Alron-AUST  (Read 339236 times)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite/Alron/American Eagle
« Reply #525 on: April 25, 2010, 03:31:16 pm »
It wouldn't be hard to be the only 250 OSSA Alron to be on the track when it's the only one they built. ;D

Tongue in cheek, I know, but there were a few more than that one

Jonesy'll be debuting his pre fastback American Eagle 405 at CD7.

I'll look forward to that. Be nice if the 250 made it too, but I realize there are limitations

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:57 am »
The big day arrived and they were re -united.  What a great job Murray.  It took me two yrs to get the old man to a VMX event, now he want's one of your OSSA's Murray so send one my way.

He was like a duck back in his favourite pond and chatted for hours, I believed he even gave murray the insight into how to make the motor quicker. he loved it.  Sorry for rambling 

Now the bike, yep had to look at the motor on a tilt.  Murray was gracious enough to allow me to have a ride and if we could have found some gear Brian would have been on it as well.  Let me say i was totally impressed, gee the damn thing handles so well and the SDR motor pulled like a train, though those bloody texas long horn handle bars have to go.  Offered murray 2,000 for it but wouldn't take it.   JC and mark High res photo's available if you want any

1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 26, 2010, 12:40:43 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed the VMX day.

After 35 years this photo is worth a thousand words -

Cheers

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 26, 2010, 01:04:14 pm »
Well done Murray, what you've done is a great effort and there were a lot of happy faces in the pits at Narrogin yesterday.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:27:14 pm by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 26, 2010, 01:23:58 pm »
He couldn't keep himself away from it all morning
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 26, 2010, 01:29:13 pm »
Great to see, and it's good to get the ol boys back, afterall without them we wouldnt be here. 8)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 26, 2010, 04:49:37 pm »
Looks fantastic,job well done VMX60-- awesome vmx days  :P
I'm going to attend more modern stuff of pre85 this weekend at our home track ..should be good to breath in some fumes again.  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 27, 2010, 08:21:30 am »
Many thanks for the pics guys. Wish I was there. Will speak to Mitch about it in a few days.

VMX60, did you remove the extra top shock mounts or not?

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 27, 2010, 11:39:16 am »
JC
 The shock mounts are untouched so i can laid them forward at anytime as pre the Alron Photo with Ron, first time out had them upright so no finger pointing, still have to buy a pair of shocks the nice Alloy body pair i have are to long ::)
On the day nothing broke or fell off  and the jetting was just a little on the rich side overall ran the whole day riding a very nice handling  bike
Motor and pipe combo work out ok  even with the Phantom spec pipe on the SDR top end still pulled like a enduro model down low
Overall very happy ;D
Cheers

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 27, 2010, 12:55:17 pm »
Reckon if you sold me one of those Ossa's he'd be back out there on it.  Was a really great day and Mitch was over the moon at what you had done with the bike.  he wouldn't shut up all day.  Wants to get a bike now, bloody typical, doesn't rain but it pours!!lol
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 28, 2010, 11:00:27 am »
Has anyone caught up with Roger Weir # 334,whom rode for Alron Industries at the Manjimup April 7th 1974. ?
cheers
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #536 on: April 28, 2010, 11:04:45 am »
It's good to see old blokes that make me look like a kiddie out there having some fun. Great to see an Alron on the track.

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 28, 2010, 02:10:08 pm »
That's a great story and that last photo is priceless.   I've got a similar one somewhere of Sammy Miller checking out his bike before a demo ride at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, the body language and concentration are almost identical.

Terrific effort VMX 60  :),  PM  sent.       

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 28, 2010, 04:24:17 pm »
Has anyone caught up with Roger Weir # 334,whom rode for Alron Industries at the Manjimup April 7th 1974. ?
cheers

I managed to track Roger down last year & spoke to him a couple of times, but when I rang back 3rd time his phone had been disconnected. Unfortunately I hadn't got his mobile #.

He was up north at Glenfield & someone told me he was into go-kart racing

If anybody has any leads, I'd love to speak to him again
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:57:52 pm by JC »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 29, 2010, 12:29:22 pm »
oops better get back in the right place   ;D
Alison....Heliarc is an old generic term for TIG welding from the days when they used helium instead of Argon. The yanks still use the term even though helium hasn't bee used in decades.

A point that struck us was the workmanship.All welds are heliarc ,and done in such a manner as to make a metal shop teacher proud.Gussets are hefty and in al the right places.Here is a double down -tube frame that should be free from breakage,however hard ridden............
That's interesting, I've never seen a "heliarced" AE/Sprite, Frank Hipkin, the Sprite manufacturer told me that the early frames were brazed then they switched to MIG welding for the fastback frame. My frames are both brazed and they're both pre '70 early frames.

Its the best article Ive got off ebay todate...$32  :(
"1968 Cycle Guide vol2 no 12 The Sprite 360 Motocross".
Good photos of the underbelly complex exhaust ,apparently too many joins/bends for a two stroke.
Negative about the Husky clone engine power. running 27th in horsepower race of the day.
Slim line is their game and soaking up bumps is their game.
cheers
Best is in the West !!