Author Topic: Sprite-UK/American Eagle-USA /Alron-AUST  (Read 339202 times)

firko

Re: Sprite/Alron/American Eagle
« Reply #420 on: January 14, 2010, 01:23:28 pm »
I'm fairly sure there's another 400 in the Illawarra area. Alan Jones bought it in the early 90s and it was an immaculate original bike still on the original tyres. Unfortunately, as we all sometimes do, he needed a quick quid so sold it to a bloke named Gilbert, a drinking mate of former Wollongong vintage racer Phil Barrett. Gilbert had a collection of British 2 stroke stuff (Greeves,DOT,Sprite etc) and was a bit flaky and had a bit of of a drink problem so the last we heard was that the bikes had been sold off or taken to the tip, depending on whichever story you believe. I can't believe that such a nice example would have ended up at the tip so I reckon it's out there somewhere. I saw an Alron tank in immaculate condition at the Bargo swapmeet a few years ago and was told it had been sold to a guy who reckoned he had "two or three" Alrons.
I've mentioned this before but another Alron showed up at an early Amaroo vintage motocross in the late 80s or early 90s. It had been fitted with long travel Husky forks and laid down shocks and we let him race on the day but told him not to bring it back until the suspension was bought back to standard. He chucked a wobbly and never came back. I've been told that that bike may have been broken up, which might explain the Bargo tank.

There's also a story about the Rowe bike that throws a spanner into the works as well. Not having any verification of the story, I'm hesitant to say any more at this stage, but I'm investigating.

firko

« Reply #421 on: January 14, 2010, 01:28:02 pm »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 14, 2010, 03:04:06 pm »
Gee, One goes away for a few days & the thread lights up again. Good stuff!

VMX60 has shown the forum what I discovered when I pored over the 250MX model in Nth Qld for a couple of hours - that the 'workmanship' was VERY poor. I could give you many more examples of it. The frames were modified in Oz (to take the Ossa engine), not at the Sprite factory so the blame is all RL's. He just didn't have a clue. In many ways, it seems to me, thats the story of Alron

Its about 99% certain VMX60's bike is Mitch's bike, & almost as certain it was one of the 1st 3 250 Sprite-Alron  "development bikes", possibly the 1st. It is a little different to the 'production' 250 Alrons, which aren't quite as rough as guts, but still very agricultural - so much so that (as I posted before) one can't believe they would sell themselves on the showroom floor, or have sold as many as RL claimed.

The (lack of) workmanship is a serious embarrassment to any self-respecting Aussie - barely even in the "backyard mechanic" category. And its not just the engine mounts, believe me.

It seems to me they had no jig to reconfigure the engine mounts for the Ossa engine, so you can imagine how they turned out. Ea one seems a little diff.

Yes the prod'n bikes had considerable engine offset to the left, just like VMX's bike, but w'out the sideways tilt. I have no doubts that bike could have run for ages w that tilt (which is more like a few degrees, rather than 5-10deg) if the top of the chain run aligned & it had a chain guide on the bottom run, as there's always a fair bit of slop in the chain & sprockets. But that in NO WAY condones it. It's disgraceful! No doubt the wear would have been (considerably) higher than normal too.

The blue bike appears from pics to have been better built, but there are several poor designs on it too.

The Alron's I am currently aware of still in existence are:

3 250 Sprite-Alrons (1 MX, 2 enduros),
2 restored 400's,
1 amost complete 400 (in quite good unrestored condition)
1 incomplete 400 in poor condition
1 400 roller

& 2 other 'possibilities' (400's) that I haven't yet heard confirmed (including the Illawarra one mentioned above).

I am still trying to track down RL so pls be patient. One contact tho't he had died, but I'm not convinced (his wife & brother-in-law have died). Also still trying to identify the "aircraft fitter from Jandacot airport". I believe he did exist.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:42:56 pm by JC »

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 14, 2010, 03:17:35 pm »
Firko

Unreal 29 pages plus JC on going research  we might end up with a true number produced ,still a unique piece of Aussie motorcycle history

Just posted a wanted ad for the lower fork leg , welding might be a option :-\

Couple of photos of true Aussie engineering Chain line photos

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:28:11 pm by VMX60 »

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 14, 2010, 03:24:30 pm »
 On the wonky frame with engine tilt that VMX60 shows in the photos, what would it look like if a couple of feet of straight bar was laid through the rear axle slots in the swingarm ?     It would be Hell to ride but maybe the swingarm isn't square either  :o

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 14, 2010, 03:28:41 pm »
JC I believe the aircraft fitter was in fact Alan Hayes, the brother in law, married to Ron's sister.  The family helped get him a visa by claiming he was the welder the company needed to build their frames.  Sadly Allan passed away about 3-4yrs ago.  I had actually caught up with him again in 2004 when i bought a motorbike from him.
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2010, 03:42:06 pm »
T250k
The frame was set with a spirtlevel on the top rails when the motor offset photos where taken
Cheers

firko

« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2010, 04:50:50 pm »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2010, 05:58:10 pm »
JC I believe the aircraft fitter was in fact Alan Hayes, the brother in law, married to Ron's sister.  The family helped get him a visa by claiming he was the welder the company needed to build their frames. .

Yes, I read that Tossa, but I'm not convinced. I heard it was Ron himself who claimed on his immigration application that he was a welder by trade. Will have to investigate further.

Two insiders seem to remember a fitter from the airport being involved, but I strongly suspect it was only on that blue one-off bike. It seems to me it was built by someone more competent than a backyard mechanic/welder. However, some things on the 'production' 250 Alron-Sprites appear to have been done by unskilled labour, which may have been Alan Hayes (who usually worked in sales & spare parts in the Alron shop) or RL himself.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:21:07 pm by JC »

firko

« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:08 pm »
 I think the below shots of the Sprite production line is the image Ron Lyon was trying to portray as how the Alron factory actually looked to the Aussie public. In truth, I suspect my own disorganised shed was better equipped and had more bikes under construction! ;D  (and the quality of workmanship is shitloads better) ;D                                 

firko

« Reply #430 on: January 17, 2010, 12:08:11 pm »
Mark Holloways Swapmeet Today. Pre fastback frame going for a song. It appears to be unmolested and intact. If I didn't have two already I'd be going for it.
It'd be a good basis for a pre 65 special or a Sprite using a Husky, Villiers, Kawasaki F21M or Maico engine. I wouldn't be fitting an OSSA plant though as they don't seem to fit all that well. ;D.

FOR SALE
Ad # 3146704
 January 16, 2010

Small Manufacturer hand crafted English dirt bike frame. Not sure of exact brand (Readers?), Looks like Sprite? Be the only kid on your block to have one. 125-250 2 stroke or small 4 stroke? Classic Legal? Great start to your next project. Cheap @ $100!

Rick Armstrong
Denver, CO
Phone: (720) 987-7394 | Email
Registered Since 1/25/2005 | 27 Posts

Click to Enlarge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:11:03 pm by firko »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 17, 2010, 03:27:55 pm »
spoke with a bloke today who bought a Zundapp metisse from Alrons, from a saleman called Jim, who moved on to Bike World, which I believed was in Vic Park.  I believe he is still around and might be able to add to the Alron story.  If it rings a bell with anyone
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 18, 2010, 03:38:47 pm »
Yes I've spoken w that chap Tossa. Can't remember his surname at present, but very nice chap who still has his sales records. Very helpful chap too.

Have also traked down & spoken w (over the w'end) another mechanic who worked for them in the Beaufort St & Newcastle St shops, for 7-8yrs from 74. He built many of the 250 Alrons & has confirmed much of what I've suspected/deduced about the whole Alron story. Can't disclose too much or the proposed VMX article will be an anticlimax. He says Allan Hayes played no part in building the bikes in his time, tho of course he doesn't know what went on before he joined up. But he did allude to some unskilled labour involved before he came on board.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:41:35 pm by JC »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 19, 2010, 05:10:35 pm »
Alan hayes had nothing to do with it because he was a salesman not a mechanic or welder.  But I do believe to help him get into the country the family told imigration he was to be employed as a welder within the "factory"
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 19, 2010, 05:34:27 pm »
Alan hayes had nothing to do with it because he was a salesman not a mechanic or welder.  But I do believe to help him get into the country the family told imigration he was to be employed as a welder within the "factory"

I'll second that one  ;D
cheers

ps I got something real special arriving some day soon. And I'm not tell'n till then  ;)  :D   :P
probably about when we hit page 35.  8)
Best is in the West !!