Author Topic: Sprite-UK/American Eagle-USA /Alron-AUST  (Read 339191 times)

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite/Alron/American Eagle
« Reply #390 on: January 12, 2010, 12:36:58 am »
this has to be the first mock up, surely.  It's that poorly done
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 12, 2010, 12:46:42 am »
I agree how could you sell this as a retail item
Dad might know if the mounts were jigged here if it was the UK they all be the same
The Alron project is underway
Cheers

mx250

« Reply #392 on: January 12, 2010, 06:53:14 am »
WTF.

It won't work. The engine tilted also tilts the counter sprocket, twist the chain, derailed. Besides looking crap..

firko

« Reply #393 on: January 12, 2010, 07:08:24 am »
I agree with Graeme...No way that's the way it came from the "factory".  You wouldn't be able to ride the bike more than a foot before the chain would come off. Something fishy here.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 12, 2010, 09:10:27 pm »
Tossa
Sorry to say but Dads bike is as found, removed the motor today all bolts have no tension and are a neat fit no mounts are bent which means this is how it was made at the Alron factory
One thing the chain is a straight line maybe that was the only way to get the chain line was to mount the motor on the piss
Dad rode this bike in Enduro/Mx over a few years so the chain stayed on some how
It definitely left the factory AS IS unsure which factory ALRON Perth or SPRITE uk
Bloody hell maybe the blue 250 was the only bike nice enough to sell Retail
Cheers

mx250

« Reply #395 on: January 12, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »
Tossa
Sorry to say but Dads bike is as found, removed the motor today all bolts have no tension and are a neat fit no mounts are bent which means this is how it was made at the Alron factory
One thing the chain is a straight line maybe that was the only way to get the chain line was to mount the motor on the piss
Dad rode this bike in Enduro/Mx over a few years so the chain stayed on some how
It definitely left the factory AS IS unsure which factory ALRON Perth or SPRITE uk
Bloody hell maybe the blue 250 was the only bike nice enough to sell Retail
Cheers
:o I find that exceptionally hard to believe, incredulous springs to mind  - there's got to be another explanation. I can't even see a reason to do it this way ???.

If I was the 'sponsored' rider they would have to pay me $1000 a ride Embarrassment Allowance and loss of reputation :-[. Thats worst motorcycling engineering than leading forks mounted 'back to front' :P.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 12, 2010, 10:27:28 pm »
Graeme
Wish i had some other explanation
After removing the motor and checking  frame mounts which are untouched, pull out a bare set of crankcases fitted like a glove still on the piss but all bolt holes lineup spot on
Unbelievable rough as guts engineering
Just had a look at the qld ossa on page 10 swear the front of the motor  appears to be offset or on the the PISS
Cheers

firko

« Reply #397 on: January 12, 2010, 10:41:23 pm »
With respect to anybodys relatives or friends who may have worked for Alron....If this bike is fair dinkum, it was built buy idiots.
I had a pretty low opinion of the whole Alron concern and this just sends my estimation even further down into the bottom of the shit heap. There is no way that bike should (or could) work.

Having slagged the builders as idiots, I still don't believe that anybody could be that rough and expect to sell bikes to the public.
I suspect there's another explanation that hasn't been considered.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 12, 2010, 11:00:17 pm »
ok, I spoke to dad, he says that is the way they put the bike together, sprocket to sprocket.  It never gave any problem at all within the drive train, every bike with the Ossa motor was like that out of square

He tells me,the blue bike was the only true Alron, with their own built or remanufactured Sprite frame, so that the motor sat straight etc.

Now what gets me is the number of times we think of putting a motor in a different frame, but doesn't sit straight.  hey guess what it doesn't matter what angle the motor is at as long as the sprockets lineup
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 12, 2010, 11:09:31 pm »
Firko

The frame goes to blasters next week see whats under the paint
Enlarging the page 10 ossa the LH front frame downtube is very close to the crankcase compared to the larger gap of RH side looks like same offset as my Alron
Plus the LH side of the motor appears to be hanging out of the frame rails
Swear it the same :-\
Cheers

mx250

« Reply #400 on: January 12, 2010, 11:17:14 pm »
Even allowing for the angle of the dangle and dodgy photo, this one looks right. There doesn't seem to be as much air under the right hand cases.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:25 pm »
Good spotting on page 10  8)   VMX60. Is this lopsided bike the one that came with the business card.
I'm a bit confused of how many you have ???
cheers
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #402 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:32 pm »
Indeed, the engine mounts don't appear 'add ons' like the one you have.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 12, 2010, 11:31:49 pm »
Graeme

That photo is the only correct frame which was the one and only blue bike built locally

Tossa and Dad
Your a bloody legend i can now rest my case and sleep at night
Thanks for the history on dads bike
 Aillson
Yes same bike as the card only have the one Alron
Cheers

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 13, 2010, 10:15:59 am »
It is quite common for sidecar motors to be offset but then they don't have a gyroscopic effect do they?
If a solo engine is off to one side it my turn differently left to right if you get my drift. Might be very good for dirt track!!
Back to sidecars, when fitting a Yamaha XS650 into a Wasp made for a Norton twin you have to squash or spread the bottom tubes and the engine will be offset to the right(I think) if the counter shaft is to line up.
The motor in my XTZ750 is also off to the right some what but it handles like a 400kg pig anyway, though it did win a few Dakars I'm told.