Author Topic: Sprite-UK/American Eagle-USA /Alron-AUST  (Read 339213 times)

GKD

Re: Sprite/Alron/American Eagle
« Reply #450 on: February 04, 2010, 03:20:57 pm »
Hi all,
Just a note to say I've advertised my Alron 400 in the OZVMX "Bikes for Sale" section.
Any leads to prospective buyers will be appreciated. Please phone 0433 472 363 if you would like to know more.
Regards,
Graeme

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 04, 2010, 07:51:24 pm »
Hi GKD,
could you please post a link up, as I've dug in and can't find it. 8)
Tha only one I spotted was this one from page 15.
cheers

Hello all,
Long time reader, first time "Poster".
I am considering selling my Alron. It's the 400 that was featured in VMX mag #7.
It's been referred to a few times under this topic so I guess anyone interested in buying an Alron will already know of it's existence and probably the history behind it?
I have owned it for at least 15 years. It has not been touched (or run) since the photo shoot for VMX in 2000 so is suffering from a slight layer of dust and the alloy tank, gaurds and side panels have dulled off a little. But overall is still in near perfect condition. There are a few areas that can be improved that I will be happy to discuss with a genuine prospective buyer.
It would take a fair and decent offer to wave it goodbye so please accept, at this stage, I'm "testing the water".
Happy to call if anyone wishes to leave a phone number.
Regards,
Graeme.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:54:03 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #452 on: February 04, 2010, 10:52:33 pm »
I thought it was me...I couldn't find it either.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 05, 2010, 12:36:30 am »
I am almost sane, I couldn't find it either!!
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 05, 2010, 12:41:54 am »
I am almost insane and I couldn't find it either...                           OK I am insa....
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:43:48 am by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

GKD

« Reply #455 on: February 05, 2010, 08:33:18 am »
Apologies all, I completed the on line form, uploaded a photo and submitted it yesterday around 3.00pm to the "OZVMX Classies" section.  (Access from the Home page)
It seems that the add takes some time to find it's way onto the site? Maybe the photo file is too large or I'm impatient?
VMX247, yes, it's the same bike that's mentioned on page 15 and a mate posted some pictures of it on this forum a month or so before that. (Although I wasn't able to see or open them on this computer for some reason?) Hopefully the add will go live soon.
Regards,
Graeme.

GKD

« Reply #456 on: February 05, 2010, 11:43:52 am »
Apologies again chaps.
Just read the OZVMX home page where it explains how there will be no further updates or info. loaded onto the site.
(Might explain why my add can't be found!)
I'll investigate the new site to place an add. So.........please just call on 0433 472 363 if you have any interest in the Alron.
I'll advertise it in "Just Bikes" and "Motorcycle Trader" shortly. Price will be around $14,000.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 05, 2010, 11:52:26 am »
Cool-in which state of Aussie are you ?
cheers
Best is in the West !!

GKD

« Reply #458 on: February 05, 2010, 04:13:08 pm »
Melbourne. North eastern suburbs.

Pommie Barstad

« Reply #459 on: February 18, 2010, 10:29:35 pm »
Spritely

Good afternoon,

I've read the whole lot. Took ages.

I know next to nothing about Motocross and even less about caravans except for riding them and towing them (or is that the other way round?) briefly in the distant past, but I'm a keen, questioning and inquiring researcher (a.k.a. 'nosey').

There's an interesting discussion going on here & I've learnt a lot, but one thing gave me a jolt. On September 7th '09 firko submitted an piece mainly on the American Eagle which stated Today, Sprite Development still exists, but it builds RVs, caravans and motor homes. I've also seen the same claim on The Early Years Of Motocross website (earlyyearsofmx.com) and I don't know if it's altogether correct.

In a later piece (Jan. 14th '10) firko appends two flyers or printer's proofs of magazine ads, which has the maker's address in Halesowen, a relatively modern telephone number format (in 1995 a '1' was added after the initial zero) and names itself as 'Sprite Developments Ltd.', with the plural 's' lacking from both sources mentioned above.

My dad had a Sprite caravan and I remember its logo, which was quite unlike the Sprite logo shown in firko's flyers. I also remember the Caravans International logo, but wasn't aware at the time of any link between this organization and Sprite Caravans.

In his book On Roads (Profile Books, 2009) Joe Moran has this to say:

After the Second World War, caravans developed a counter-reputation for being cheap and flimsy, largely because, in an era of austerity, the manufacturers had to make do with non-restricted materials. The inventor of the classic Sprite caravan, Sam Alper - whose other significant role in history was to found the Little Chef restaurant chain in 1958 - built his first model in 1947 out of wartime salvage, using a Spitfire's undercarriage and a roof made from an old barrage balloon.

The company was started by Sam Alper and his brother Henry (who soon left it) in Stratford, East London. Moran goes on to say that the 1960s Sprite Alpine became the best-selling model of all time, but, despite that

The recession and rising inflation of the 1970s hit caravan sales hard and in 1982 Alper's company, Caravans International, went bust.

Or did it? Now, the history of caravans, in which I'm sure you're not particularly interested, seems about as murky and difficult to sort out as that of small manufacturers of motorcycles and whilst the above story seems a bit gloomy, in its heyday, Sprite took over Eccles, Bluebird and Fairholme caravans, making it the world's largest caravan manufacturer. It was probably at this time that Caravans International was set up as an umbrella company. I found from the Trigano webpage that In 1976, Caravans International was the largest Caravan Manufacturer listed on the London Stock Exchange, also present in Italy with a sales office in Varedo. This Italian link obviously became stronger as Caravans International (or CI) migrated to Italy in the early 1980s. It produced its first motor-caravan in 1985 and such were their success that by 1988 the company, under the ownership of Tuscan spa ceased the production of caravans. Tuscan became Trigano spa, probably in 1996, and is still based in San Gimignano, where I must have driven past them on the way from Florence to Sienna. Pity I didn't know what I need to know now, or I'd have gone to visit them!

So, Caravans International might have been on the rocks in 1982, but as this coincided with the company shipping out to Italy, they certainly disappeared from the UK then.

If that's not confusing enough, Sprite caravans are still produced as a brand of The Swift Group, based in Cottingham, East Yorkshire (near Hull). As well as a Swift range, they produce a Sterling range, one of which is the Stirling Eccles . . . Enough now?

That's the problem with nouns (as opposed to proper nouns), they're words that are difficult to adopt exclusively because they cannot be copyrighted. So here you go:
Sprite: noun: an elf or fairy, often with wings, especially one associated with water; small, human in form, playful, having magical powers.
So, not only are you a bunch of fairies, you're pretty wet as well.

So, back to the beginning: Today, Sprite Development still exists, but it builds RVs, caravans and motor homes. Sprite Developments does not still exist (missed telling you than, didn't I?); Sprite motorcycles were made in Halesowen (near Birmingham); Sprite caravans were made in Stratford, East London and, until 1988 in San Gimignano, Tuscany; Sprite caravans are a model line of caravans made today by The Swift Group in Yorkshire. There are no geographical coincidences and, although there are CI motorhomes and Swift motorhomes, I cannot find any evidence of there ever being a Sprite motorhome.

Sorry chaps and chapesses, but Sprite motorcycles does not live on in some phoenix-like state . . .

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 18, 2010, 10:38:31 pm »
ok Ive had two white wines... not red's ... ::)
were are VMX60 and VMX247 last posts Pommie bastard  ???
 we where talking about caravan fuel tanks  ???
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Pommie Barstad

« Reply #461 on: February 18, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »
Two white whines? That's nothing, I'm just brewing my second mug of English Breakfast.

The posts you're missing are on the other Sprite/Alron/American Eagle forum. Confused yet? I know I am . . .

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 18, 2010, 11:25:22 pm »
I love English Breakfast --- your welcome in the down under west  :P.....
Time for you to get a bike I think  ;D Bit a British is best  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 19, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »
ITS ARRIVED..  ;D  Not sure if its off a Monza 250 Trials or All Sprite 360 Scramble,what do you reckon??

Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #464 on: February 26, 2010, 04:12:49 pm »
Hi Alison. Sorry to move the thread away from the history of the British caravan industry and English Breakfast tea but your nice tank looks to be identical to the one below. This my friends is the Sprite I'm wanting to replicate. It's Dave Smiths works 360 Sprite/Maico circa 1967.
Dave's pretty obviously a big lump of a lad, note the size of his hands and how far forward the handlebars are set. He makes the bike look like a 125. According to Frank Hipkin Smith was a quiet, gentle big lad but really fast.