Author Topic: Sprite-UK/American Eagle-USA /Alron-AUST  (Read 339192 times)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite/Alron/American Eagle
« Reply #360 on: December 17, 2009, 09:27:11 am »
Dave, it depends who you listen to.

They never won anything major, which probably says something

firko

« Reply #361 on: December 17, 2009, 09:48:44 am »
Dave. Sprite was very successful during the late 60s with a lot of good wins in the UK with riders of the calibre of Terry Chalinor, Terry Ledbitter and Vic Eastwood racing them. Usually using Villiers, Husky and Maico engines. They won bugger all to my knowledge in American Eagle and Alron guise, mainly because they just plain weren't very bloody good. By 1970 they were obsolete and poorly made, typical of just about everything British by then.

John, the Hipkin quote comes from a clipping from 1969 Jonesy produced from somewhere. I missed a follow up sentence to the " All the motocross frames are made from 1.5mm, 1" diamter ERW tube" quote. Frank notes that " late 1968 we changed over to mainly mig welding" which is fairly obvious on the fastback frames I've seen. My and Alans pre fastbacks are both brazed so going by Franks statement, they must have been made prior to '68.

albrid-3

« Reply #362 on: December 17, 2009, 09:46:42 pm »
its a shame, they are a very nice looking bike.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 27, 2009, 02:03:20 pm »
Hi,

Just received this from Robert, USA, another Kawasaki Eagle. A good reference for someone restoring one in Australia.

"Merry Christmas.

Just got around to downloading pics from a spring 09 race at Tomahawk Raceway, West Virginia. Never saw the bike in action, but it was in pretty good unrestored shape. The owner got it for next to nothing and and had a growing enthusiasm for Sprites, though he seemed to be a casual non serious racer. 

Happy New Year, Robert"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 27, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »
VMX60 and Robert in USA ,much appreciated and good to see it still flowing  ;D

Some nice city fella sent us a pic from Husky site of the Talon right hand side which was discussed on page 21 of this thread.
Its exactly what is in the shed 15 km form here.. :P
Thanks for the right side pic Mr D  ;D
cheers

Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 27, 2009, 03:42:58 pm »
Hey Allison
The variety of bike found over here in the west is amazing where a long way from anywhere but the bikes keep being found
Following up on a another roller frame Alron something at present

Cheers

albrid-3

« Reply #366 on: December 27, 2009, 09:31:27 pm »
Looks like an F21m motor.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 27, 2009, 11:20:15 pm »
Dot
Wonder if the motor is a true Kawa mx model or a kitted trail bike power plant as with the Alron/ossa most where std SDR motors across the range
Kawasaki early MX bikes are rare so this could another Sprite MX model powered by a trail bike motor
Cheers

firko

« Reply #368 on: December 27, 2009, 11:27:28 pm »
American Eagle used the genuine F212M Kawasaki engine for their early 250s and later used the Sprite Husky clone 250.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 27, 2009, 11:39:54 pm »
Firko
Does that mean the F21m motors were fitted in the UK or by the USA Eagle importer

firko

« Reply #370 on: December 28, 2009, 07:02:03 am »
Does that mean the F21m motors were fitted in the UK or by the USA Eagle importer
Don't know but it's a good question. I'll try and find out.

firko

« Reply #371 on: December 28, 2009, 07:34:39 am »
"Just got around to downloading pics from a spring 09 race at Tomahawk Raceway, West Virginia. Never saw the bike in action, but it was in pretty good unrestored shape. The owner got it for next to nothing and and had a growing enthusiasm for Sprites, though he seemed to be a casual non serious racer. 
Happy New Year, Robert"
I wonder if the guy's really a casual non serious racer when you look ast his other bikes, a pretty well set up XL Honda and a super rare '78 CZ 125 Typ511. He may not be serious but he certainly dares to be different.

albrid-3

« Reply #372 on: December 28, 2009, 08:48:05 am »
vmx60, you may be right about the Kawasaki motor.

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 28, 2009, 09:03:30 am »
Seeing as I own an AE 'Geronimo' I suppose it's about time I joined in!  Magazine tests I have ('Cycle' August 1969 and 'Cycle Guide' July 1970) both clearly state that the rolling chassis was imported from Sprite and the F21m engine came direct from Japan.  They were assembled in the USA, or indeed, you could buy the bike in 'kit form' (in other words just how it reached the USA anyway) and assemble it yourself.

The F21m engine was delivered stock except for the outer cases and the cylinder and head, which were all painted black - on the Kawasaki version the cylinder/head were unpainted and the outer cases were painted silver.  Also, the exhaust port was raised 1mm and the bike used an AE pipe, presumably made in the USA.  In both tests, the jetting was less than perfect due to these changes and as AE had not done enough homework.

Regards

Ken

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 28, 2009, 10:01:27 am »
Nice bike. Thanks VMX60. My favourite A-E

The F21M engine was based on the F2 175 trail bike engine, stretched w larger bore & stroke to 238cc. Gearbox & clutch were said to be interchangeable except the F21M clutch had an extra plate. G'box ratios are rather wide for a racer.

F4 250 trailbike engine then came from F21M engine. F4 has milder rotary valve, but I'm not sure if the barrell or head were any diff. I know Mark Rosenberg, somewhat of a guru on these early Kaw engines, indicated the F21M engine is very close to F4.

F21M/F4 had very small carb - 26 or 28mm. Very limited space in there. Bigger Miks just didn't fit but apparently a 32mm Amal was small enough to fit.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:03:07 am by JC »