Author Topic: Wacky inventions  (Read 54105 times)

Doc

Re: Wacky inventions
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 12:20:12 pm »
yeah Pokey, it got me interested as to what it was but I couldn't find anything like it online. Smaller than that, the front tyres looked about the size of a 125 roadie except 2 of em'  ???

firko

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 04:46:05 pm »
I was sitting having a lazy outdoor long black at Bill and Tonys in Stanley st Darlinghurst the other night when one of these thingos parked right in front of me. I thought I'd seen just about everything to do with motorcycling until I checked this out. They look pretty cool and the Italian bloke who owned it reckons it handled great. Is this what you saw in the rear view mirror Doc?

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=44646

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2006/cars/other/piaggio/05/mp3/mp3.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 04:58:24 pm by firko »

Doc

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2007, 07:26:32 pm »
Yup! I that's what I'd reckon I saw Firko.  The front looks very familiar and the wheels much closer to the size. I'd love to have seen more of it, watching from the front as it followed it was pretty bloody amazing.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2007, 07:36:40 pm »
Weren't they the ones Mick Doohan was promoting last week on the TV news?

Maybe you got rounded up by the champ Doc  :)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 09:19:04 pm »
i heard that Brad Lackey hooked a boost bottle up to one of his suzukis and then got told to remove it by one of the factory suzuki mechanics ;D

the 2 boost bottles at the bottom of this page are mine, ive got 3rd one too. the gold one is getting re annodized. whether or not i will use them i dont know, but they will make nice display items!. worth a try though.

http://www.vintagefactory.com/New%20Index.htm
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Doc

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 09:42:32 pm »
wish I had a pic of my old rooster booster on my 80B :-\

polished brass inlet pipe inserted carefully into manifold, braided hose to highly polished Brassoâ„¢ tin (empty of course!), bling stainless utilux hose clamps all round making sure it was in full veiw...it weighed nothing, did nothing but it looked the goods ;D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2007, 08:16:31 am »
Graeme Morris in Necastle sells the Paggio MP3 he was doing some insame figure 8's in the steet, they turn and stop on a 5 cent bit.Graeme can't wait for the 500 to take to Eastern Creek for  day.There must be some thing in it as Yamaha have released a 4 wheel version.
On a less wacky note pity they couldn't do something like this with a dirt bike. I used to want one of those retro Ducati's not anymore.They also came out with an old 400 FOUR style 1100. Brilliant. This one just needs a couple of 'Marchal' bug eyed spotties,3 crazy Frenchmen  and 24Hours  ;D ;D

http://jalopnik.com/cars/tokyo-auto-show/honda-cb1100r-concept-313674.php
Jesus only loves two strokes

mx250

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2007, 09:50:34 am »
I thought this was pretty wackie at the time. I have meet and spoken to Ian a few times and he admitted the handling was pretty odd. I'm not quite sure what advantage he was trying to get - it wasn't traction alone.

http://home.pacific.net.au/~iwd/2x2x2/ride/index.html

Brilliant work and execution mine you.

Doc

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2007, 11:53:03 am »
MX250, what's not shown in the 2x2 pic is the 40ft tri-axle trailer he's towing  ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 09:47:41 pm »
Wacky inventions alive & well at Broadford Dirt track.
Didn't get the chance to ask the owner what they felt like

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 10:11:04 pm »
I thought this was pretty wackie at the time. I have meet and spoken to Ian a few times and he admitted the handling was pretty odd. I'm not quite sure what advantage he was trying to get - it wasn't traction alone.

http://home.pacific.net.au/~iwd/2x2x2/ride/index.html

Brilliant work and execution mine you.

Ive known Ian for years & I guess he is somewhat of the Nutty Professor.
That bike was both weird & brilliant at the same time. I was invited to view it before it's debut along with a few others in what must have been early / mid eighties. He set out to reinvent how a motorbike should be put together. He didn't build it thinking he was going to win anything with it, it was a design exercise.
As I remember it had a hydraulic pump for a gearbox that drove hydraulic motors in the hubs of back & front wheels.
It had single sided swingarms back & front, which reduced the steering lock so he made it 2 wheel steer to make up for it. The barrel was rumored to be based on a Maico 400 which he had cast. At one stage he was planning to have hydraulic suspension that could be raised or lowered for different conditions. That would be handy now with todays tall bikes.
I believe it ended up in a museum in the UK.
Their is in modern times a two wheel drive kit that is fitted to a Yamaha, I think built by Ohlins?? It has a small hydraulic pump on the countershaft sprocket that drives a hydraulic motor in the front hub. I often wondered if it was inspired by Ian's bike.
Last I heard he was thinking of building a helicopter :o
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2007, 10:26:25 pm »
Dont worry about them bars cause he was at the pointy end of the 125 class 2nd i think so they must go allright. That had some innovations on it did you get them all .?.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2007, 11:05:20 pm »
I spoke to Ian for an hour or so when he had the FZR 400 based V8 running round, it fairly bristled with innovative thinking an was a credit to his design/machining skills.He fired it up and sounded fine til it went out on the track and promptly dropped a valve :'(.Last I heard of Ian he was trying to raise funds for a MotoGP V8 :o.There is a good story in AMCN about 2 fellows, lots of CAD & CNC work, $135,000 and a top line rider. Ends with "what the highside and cartwheel through the gravel trap didn't destroy the ensuing fire finished off" Heartbreaking
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2007, 06:23:17 am »
boost bottles look cool & were very Sano back in the day - what other reason do you need to use them , who cares if it doesn't improve the power - you FEEL faster with trick bits on your bike