Author Topic: Wacky inventions  (Read 54086 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Wacky inventions
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:44:11 pm »
We've debated boost bottles & the infamous No-Dive system before but how about these handlebars I found an an 80's magazine.
Maybe I should jig up to make replica's :D :D
Hope it's readable.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
Re: Wacky inventions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 11:20:26 pm »
Just the thing for steering precision... :-\

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 12:19:53 am »
This bike look like an 82 RM250, by the end of the year DB's 82 RM250 had a Twin Air one sided airbox, Simons UDX60 forks, M Robert numberplate/rear fender and who knows what else...

Anyone recall the YZM 250 of say 89-91 with a carbon fiber flat spring on rear shock? It mounted on the bottom of swingarm-and was falt like a leaf spring. Weird........

How about Jones Ball Grips? They looked like OURY grips, but had a spherical ball cast in the end of the grip...lind of looked like well, you couldn't make them today in our politically correct world...

Any more?

Thank you, James
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 12:23:00 am »
I reckon you would go broke pretty fast, considering none turn up in their packets on evilpay.I would offer that the test rider could do with some addidtional compression damping
Jesus only loves two strokes

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 06:42:56 am »
I'd forgotten about those............... I'll bet there was heaps more dumb inventions right up there with 'boot savers'  etc  ;D
Anyone recall any?

magoo

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 07:36:44 pm »
I love boot savers, they were really cool.

Doc

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 07:48:29 pm »
 :D hey! I had a nice pair of booty savers as well..actually I had quite a few pairs  :P
they were in the cheapy bin next to the plastic levers at McLeods in the days when you could actually go there and buy quality things..in the end, these so called boot savers got cut up and reworked into crossbar pads, the beginning of my patchwork and quilting interests  8) those bars are trick but not as trick as rubber bars! Long live the PP No-Dive!! I must fit that someday soon as well ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 07:55:41 pm by Doc »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 09:42:02 pm »
Re Wacky inventions = sidecars???
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 02:17:12 am »
gotta love the good old "visor view"
as worn by malcom and steve in that movie they made
"flat bickie"

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 09:27:33 am »
Yamaha remember those huge air cans thingos on the top of forks (late70s?) were pretty neat and  nicely wacky too ???
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 01:46:08 pm »
i got some sets of somthing similar not just the yaamha AIR cans but from what i think where AFM on some honda forks, they are a dial pressure guage on a threaded fork cap that are screwed inplace instead of the top fork tube cap, they have like a small dial similar to a regulator and they showed the pressure in your legs, from memory you can fill or bleed from the car valve under the guage and i have one set in red and one in black.  so they musta been on at least 2 differant bikes, but not sure what year/models these where on, i should measure the tubes.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 08:26:13 am »
Freakyshow,I have  set-up like this laying around somewere. The one I have all screws onto the air valve already in the fork cap. Guage and T piece on one side and elbow with a cross over pipe on the other. I had the same set up back in my hoon days on a old 500 triple Kawasaki.  :)Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 12:26:26 pm »
I had the same set up back in my hoon days on a old 500 triple Kawasaki.  :)Darcy

All My Days are "HOON" Days
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 01:25:59 pm »
I notice the first thread says we've debated boost bottles but i unfortunately did'nt see that one, and i am busy deciding whether to remove mine or add one? bike started as IT465 now busy getting converted to yz so i wondered if it would be good to drop the boost bottle. I also have moto tassinari reeds v force which i am going to install. I have read pros and cons regarding the boost but never seen a dyno result...
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 02:48:56 pm »
Just install the V force and ANY thoughts of adding boost bottles will rapidly evaporate.
Jesus only loves two strokes