Author Topic: Wacky inventions  (Read 54100 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Wacky inventions
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2008, 11:20:36 pm »
Hmmm already has a Brock signature engraved and numbered on it on it , most likely fake like the piece of wanking bullshit itself........ ::)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2008, 09:27:09 am »
Well, please excuse my ignorance. When I saw these at Broadford I assumed they were an old product, probably because they were on an old bike.

Wacky inventions alive & well at Broadford Dirt track.
Didn't get the chance to ask the owner what they felt like

But then I bought Trailrider Magazine, mostly for the DVD with some GNCC footage. The magazine I thought a bit ordinary, & the race footage was a bit ordinary too, but had some good interviews with the Aussies & David Knight.
Anyway Watts'y is showing us his house & bike and points out these "Flexx" handlebars that he now needs to get his bad wrists through a 3 hour race.
I didn't realise the bars at Broadford were a modern bar even though I did hear Shane was using something like this.

I really must get out more.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2008, 09:29:33 am »
Oh, and Tim. I will give you $6.00 for your Polariser.
A 100% profit for you sounds good ey? :D :D

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2008, 12:03:36 pm »
$6.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nah! worth at least $8.00 as a talking point in shed.  ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

mx250

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2009, 01:20:12 pm »
;)

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2009, 06:25:23 pm »
...........don't laugh! I've still got a heap of those in the shed,along with the " universal unbreakable gear lever ".

Roger

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2009, 06:43:53 am »

Is the wacky invention the handlebars or the orange thing that is attached to them?
 ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:51:39 am by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2009, 08:23:47 am »
Plastic levers....unbreakable? Yep! Shame the rest of your bike needed to be unbreakable too if you used them. I still remember the first time I grabbed a big handful of brake on a soon to be a killer downhill one HOT day.....the levers become surprisingly flexible in the sun! :o
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

mx250

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2009, 08:53:38 am »
It didn't need to be hot ::).

I wonder how many the sold. I know I bought some. I think they lasted one brake application. So flexy you didn't have any feel. The clutch was no better. But someone probably retired on the profits ;).

Good idea, poor execution :P.

mx250

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2009, 12:08:27 pm »
I've been toying the idea of building a fun bike for CD6 featuring as many of the bad idea and just plain ugly products I can find. I've got a going but very dunger DT1 Yamaha, a tacky NOS red metalflake fibreglass tank, a pair of the widest and highest solid alloy bars I've ever seen (gold anodised of course), plastic levers, Hex grips, Pacifico plastic gear lever, a Taiwanese gunnar gasser copy throttle, thermal flow shocks, Preston Petter Mudders (they're good quality but you have to admit they're plug ugly), one of those alloy fork braces that did absolutly nothing except collect mud, a lumpy leg burner pipe of unknown make but it looks like one of those Eltham Dirt Cycle monstrosities they were always talking up in T&T. I've even go one of those retread tyres that weigh as much as a tractor tyre.
It'd make a great display bike in the Kompound but finding someone willing to ride it may come down to drawing straws!
Sound like an idea -  a bit of a good old fashion self effacing shit stir ;D. My type of humour. Maybe it will appeal to others and they can contribute ;).

I don't know if I have anything to contribute - I'll have a think and a look :). I do have a Preston Petty plastic bash plate some people think they fit the bill for 'wacky' but I used them and thought they were good. Ditto the Hex grips which get a bagging. I don't know if I would go out of my way to fit them but gees they were and improvement on the OEM Yamaha crap  - either the blister causing serrated ribs or the skin shredding waffle pattern :P. Actually I rate those fat blistered Triumph style grips, which is still popular, far worst then the Hex shaped ones.

I did have the full enclosed flimsy plastic chain guard and the rear mudguard extension that was required for rego in NSW. Hmmmmm, where did I see that last ::). They would look a treat :-[.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2009, 12:10:19 pm »
I've been toying the idea of building a fun bike for CD6 featuring as many of the bad idea and just plain ugly products I can find. I've got a going but very dunger DT1 Yamaha, a tacky NOS red metalflake fibreglass tank, a pair of the widest and highest solid alloy bars I've ever seen (gold anodised of course), plastic levers, Hex grips, Pacifico plastic gear lever, a Taiwanese gunnar gasser copy throttle, thermal flow shocks, Preston Petter Mudders (they're good quality but you have to admit they're plug ugly), one of those alloy fork braces that did absolutly nothing except collect mud, a lumpy leg burner pipe of unknown make but it looks like one of those Eltham Dirt Cycle monstrosities they were always talking up in T&T. I've even go one of those retread tyres that weigh as much as a tractor tyre.
It'd make a great display bike in the Kompound but finding someone willing to ride it may come down to drawing straws!

All that's missing are nylon sprockets and a glitter plastic seat cover.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 12:15:00 pm »

Ah, damn - CG beat me to it:

You missed the nylon sprockets!
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mx250

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2009, 12:29:28 pm »

Ah, damn - CG beat me to it:

You missed the nylon sprockets!
Might have one of those as well ::). Don't know what it'll fit. I think it was the YZ250E. Again I used them with success 'back in the day' (I used to paint them black because I was too embarrassed). I think they got bad press when one failed at Bathurst on a CB750 or such ::) :P :-[

number 87

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2009, 01:32:02 pm »
Ugly components.....you must have the 82 (I think) KX REAR GUARD, You know, with the integrated number plate! ----- No 'F OFF UGLY bike should be without one!   

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2009, 01:39:59 pm »
I remember trying those plastic levers too, my clutch was so hard the lever just bent instead of disengaging the clutch & yeah, forget about heaving on the front brake to slow down.

Is the wacky invention the handlebars or the orange thing that is attached to them?
 ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't forget to fit up a boost bottle & anti dive front end.
One of those pro-link type linkage systems that mounted on your twin shock bike to increase travel through the linkages ( can't remember thier name)
You will also need something like one of those four wheel steer Honda's to tow it to the event with.