Author Topic: Wacky inventions  (Read 54107 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Wacky inventions
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 06:02:55 pm »
from what ive read a boost bottle wont increase HP or speed. if designed correctly it can idle smoother, accelerate smoother and eliminate throttle hesitations, however i have a article by Gary Treadwell (well known tuner) and he was really into them and was making a lot of them and said they defintley do work and he said that at the time he thought further development and testing could see a boost bottle give a oversall slight increase in HP. Ive never actually heard any one say that they will do that though. Ive actually got 3 DG boost bottles so i will end up one day seeing if i can notice if they do anything. I have spoken to other users of them and they have said they definitley noticed smoother idling, accleration and less throttle hesitation on rapid opening/closing of the throttle.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 06:51:15 pm »
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 07:50:58 pm »
Speak to someone who has dyno'd a V-Force, they about 2-3hp(on an 80 shifter kart) from idle to sign off, no development just bolt on.Simulators have exposed boost bottles as a bit of bling/placebo effect.
Now there is a product that is a basicly $4 worth of electrical parts selling for the bargain price of $350.They are called 'Vowel Feline' ;)

Corrrrrrr cyclegod I want that RD 700 got a nice article on the bike in Classic Bike.Cheap at $10k.I might buy it and ride it home Ewan & Charile style.The smell and sound when it come on pipe running R30.Does it get any better. ;D ;D ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 08:00:53 pm »
A boost bottle should help bottom end, in the same way that the 'low end' setting of Honda's ATAC exhaust power valve did.

But as a non-variable component, it would be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

RD700 = way cool. Think of how scary a Kawasaki triple is (not that I've ever ridden one) and then give it more revs, more power, less 'big bang' effect....

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 08:07:39 pm »
Think of how scary a Kawasaki triple is (not that I've ever ridden one) and then give it more revs, more power, less 'big bang' effect....

I seen a six cylinder engine made out of 2 H2 750's (thats a 1500cc two-stroke...eep ; :o)
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 08:11:34 pm »
ive also seen variable boost bottles for scooters and small bikes made by Malossi.They use a rubber concetina chamber that compresses and expands depending on the suction forces or what ever. they claim its a better design than the no variable fixed bottle size
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 10:44:26 pm »
Hmmm there is a mob (in England I think) that graft Kawa triples together side by side. have photos somewhere of 5,6 ,7 and (!!!!) cylinder efforts. Must find as the exhaust chamber plumbing is mind boggling!!! Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 11:06:25 am »
my wacky invention was a anti dive setup on a XL175 ,on slicks for a Amaroo Hillclimb club day,(don't ask ;D),got the rocker ratio a tad out,it actually raised the front end when i hit the picks  ::) ::),ooops ???,cheers Mick
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 11:09:20 am »
That's actually 1 bloke who mostly does all that Alec/Alex Milldren something like that.He is actually bored(because he's done so many) 5 cylinder H2's, he made a V8 Z1800(2 X Z900's) and was planning on a V12 Z 2600(2 Z1300's).The amazing part is not only does he do all the welding & machining in house, most of it is on an 60's vintage Myford Super 7 lathe, the H2's and the V8 run like Swiss watches. Nothing weird or wacky about him he is a genius.
Jesus only loves two strokes

maicopunk

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 11:53:41 pm »

firko

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 12:11:33 am »
Those V8s made out of bike engines were used a bit in speedway midgets back in the late 70s/early 80s. Apparently they failed because they didn't have enough torque and too many revs resulting in too much wheelspin. They're still toying with the idea though.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/07/31/sesco-air-and-oil-cooled-suzuki-v8-engines/
http://www.springsspeedway.com/default,837.sm

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007, 08:45:33 am »
Hi Guys,
The poor old Boost Bottle cops a lot of flak - it never claimed to be a universal panacea.

Garry Treadwell is right, they do work and they do what was claimed. The Hiemholtz Reservoir is a simple device that recognises that there are [undeniable] pressure variations in the intact tract of a two stroke engine and aims to enable external tuning of those pressure waves. Nobody ever claimed massive horsepower increases, all they were ever claimed to do was to smooth out the throttle response in certain rev ranges.

Its a bit much to compare them to a V-Force reed - hardly comparing apples against apples. Their benefits don't show up on a dyno [as many other beneficial engine power characteristic don't either], it is just a 'feel' thing. History is full of successful race teams ignoring supposedly superior dyno charts and winning with engines that have the right 'feel' that enables the rider to perform the way they want to. It is a lesson [for example] that Honda constantly fails to learn unless their current top rider has the clout to direct their energies in productive directions - think Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi. It's one of the things that makes motorcycling more of an engineering challenge than auto racing.

The other funny thing is that the old Boost Bottle probably added $2.00 to the cost of the bike, didn't compromise reliability, didn't add any significant complications or weight.

Personally I think the poor old Boost Bottle has been very badly treated by history. I think we should lobby the authorities to have it rightfully acknowledged as a true '70s wacky invention. Long live the boost bottle.

Yours in wacky inventions
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 09:25:31 am »
My old mate Honest Muz was a true believer and a man ahead of his time - remember the V8 Vegie Juice fiasco.

Long live Boost Bottles.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Doc

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 11:27:33 am »
I may be a little behind the times on this and it maybe more common that I thought but the other afternoon whilst driving my own wacky van down the road I was followed by a motorcycle with 2 wheels at the front  :o I didn't cop much of a look other than from front in the rear veiw mirror but both wheels turned and leaned in synch  :-\ seemed very stable and around bumpy corners tracked well..maybe my ill handling van emphasized this fact as it commonly drifts 3feet in any direction even on a flat straight road..it seems like a genuinely good idea..not the ill handling but the bike with 3 wheels..it must have been bigger than a scooter as it ventured onto the highway which scares me AND my van! :( from the front it did look the size of a Honda Majesty or something a little bit smaller. I don't know what it was but it was rego'd and it did have twin front wheels and it was very different and it had me rubbing my eyes, questioning my vision and what I'd been smoking  8)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 11:32:52 am by Doc »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 11:54:45 am »
Bombadier have a new three wheeler Doc thats spose to be a bit of all right