Author Topic: Wacky inventions  (Read 54116 times)

mx250

Re: Wacky inventions
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »
mmm..I can see the front end bottoming, cable getting hung up on the linkage on return and a big endo following :o
Yeah, we all know you don't need all the expense of a flash hi-tech front end to do that  ::) :P

Wouldn't like to be the one funding the replacement of all the heim bearings either ;)
I did a quick count;16  :o. Hmmmmm. I wonder how often a rebuild is required to keep everything spot on 'race ready' ??? :-[.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2010, 08:47:50 pm »
The front end looks like an excerise in, what would have been at the time, the begining of CNC machining.
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2010, 10:39:56 pm »
Maybe using a machine like this eh, Lozza? Page from a Sprite brochure circa 1973

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2010, 10:48:07 pm »
What year is that Honda, early/mid 80's??? i was thinking the same thing about those heim bearings too. These days replacing just one bearing on a KTM shock is expensive enough if you got a couple shocks to do. There were some guys in UK who wanted to get these front ends reproduced last year  :o. I have also seen a similar set up with 2 Ohlins shocks up front that Roger DeCoster used on a suzuki.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:58:01 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

DR

« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2010, 07:55:51 am »
Howerton also used this link type front end..but not for long :P

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2010, 08:20:41 am »
What year is that Honda, early/mid 80's???

1982 seemed to be the eye of the storm.

I can't talk of the realities of how the Ribi front end worked, but in theory, it should poop on telescopic forks.
I can see the issues of weight placement, but that's not insurmountable.

The Horst Leitner designed AMP-branded linkage MTB forks were really good things - everytime I see either the Ribi or the AMP forks I think of the other....
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:20 am »
I was at either Indian Dunes or Corona in 1977 or 1978 (it is a long time ago and I am an old man)and Suzuki turned up with a pair of RM production bikes fitted with different versions of the leading link style front end. Both bikes started the day with vinyl shrouds covering the 'forks' but after a couple of laps of each bike by both test riders and surprisingly one of the Japanese mechanics in his overalls and a borrowed helmet, the shrouds were removed.
From memory, bike one had an almost exact copy of the Ribi front end shown on the above Honda CR while the other bike had a simpler, cobbier setup similar to but not the same as the setup shown on Howertons bike that Doc posted. I recall speaking to one of the test riders, a young long haired 'California beach boy" looking kid who reckoned the Ribi forks worked great, especially in stutters and on the landing after jumps. The other rider was a Mexican, possibly Carlos Cerrano, and he was hooting on both bikes. The next time I saw a Ribi front end was two or three years later on a Honda, in REVS after I came home.
I took photos at the time but over the years they've been misplaced. Damn I wish I could find those slides, then we could recognise the rider, (the blonde one.

ps....It's funny how the mind will always dreg up something from the past when you least expect it. I had my green tank Husky 360 auto there and despite this exotica drawing a crowd, the Japanese Suzuki mechanics were all over my bike once they realised it was an auto.
Even though I didn't actually own the bike at the time (it was owned by my boss) I relented and gave one of the Japanese guys a ride (a different one to the one who did the hot laps on the Ribi bike) and after about three laps came back with a smile as big as Luna Park and got into a very animated conversation with his Japanese mates. He loved the auto and winked at me when I asked if Suzuki was going to produce one!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:37:26 am by firko »

mx250

« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2010, 05:38:09 pm »
Were you as enthusiastic about the Auto as the Jap mechanic Firko?

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2010, 05:52:06 pm »
If I remember correctly the claim was that with the ribi style front end, the bikes wheel base never changed regardless of suspension position.
With telescopic forks as the suspension collapses, the wheel base shortens, creating a less stable bike (particulary under brakes over rough ground)
The ribi front end overcame this, but also created other problems with it's complexities.

firko

« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2010, 06:30:07 pm »
Were you as enthusiastic about the Auto as the Jap mechanic Firko?
Graeme I loved it so much I bought it from my boss. I've been in talks with Team Husky about owning another one as soon as I get healthy again.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2010, 06:35:38 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVJYw3FW_M

Check around the 25 second time frame. Hanging on the post in the middle of the workshop.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2010, 08:20:42 am »
I found myself trying to look over the top of some bikes to see the 1 behind it better ::).

mx250

« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:35 pm »

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2010, 02:34:18 pm »
mx250 there were 8 pairs of NOS plastic scott bootd for sale here last year
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina