Author Topic: Can I have a show of hands????  (Read 11275 times)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Can I have a show of hands????
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 05:28:12 pm »
 Moorebank. from when it was first licenced under the speedway act,i think that would be 1958. i had a couple of rides in short circuit at vineyards and arcadia and then at moorebank because no short circuits had approval so it was scrambles or nuthin till nepean got licenced. i also had a couple of rides at wollongong track [mnt kembla].i think i won a c grade event there once. a mad austrian friend  named leo brunbauer built this daggy looking ajay frame with a 350 ariel motor. he let me ride it that day and to my suprise it was set up beautifully and very easy to ride. he later that day rode it in the state titles and came third behind kivo and i dont remember who else on currently modern motocrossers.Leo suddenly dissapeared over to NZ i believe after some dolly bird.may-be he's in the nz bike scene??? i rode several more years at moore bank trying to maintain my record of most prangs per lap.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2009, 07:29:38 pm »
Yep started racing scrambles in 1972 then gave it way in 1985 and back for my first race for 24 at Ravenswood in 2 weeks.   HL

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2009, 10:12:56 pm »
Lots of play racing on XR 75's at the Kingsgrove brick pits an then Menai between 1974 and 1976.

Had a few "races" on an Elsinore 125 at Barton Park near the approach to Sydney airport in 1977.

A couple of years as a C grader with Bankstown Wiley Park club on a YZ 125E between 1978 and 1980. Had a good choice of tracks back then all within easy reach, Amaroo, Dargle, Kembla, Jiliby and Bilpin.

Started vintage racing an Elsinore with Penrith around 1994 and with a young family dragged them all over the place as I indulged in my passion.

Continued racing from 2000 with Heaven.

A couple of injuries have slowed things down a bit recently.

ianscr250

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2009, 11:59:58 pm »
rode around a lot of tracks in tassie didnt do well fell off a lot  had fun did enduro trial dn moto in 79/80/81

Hornet

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 02:56:36 pm »
never raced competive, but like to hang around the pits and enjoy the atmosphere.

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 08:18:04 pm »
I raced juniors in the VMBA from 79 to about 83 c grade and a couple of races in ACU in 84 , And started again 2 years ago in Viper and DMCC club meets with my kids and having a ball . I just have too many bikes to get ready for each meeting i still havent got my YZ400E ready for Viper round 1 on sunday .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

aussieatk

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 09:00:38 pm »
Hilly be looking for you there on Sunday,need someone to knock handlebars with.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 09:49:15 pm »
Started racing in the early '80's after riding around in the bush for years went through almost every w/end until early '93 when mx became more of an outdoor sx tack, Ive always been a hesitant jumper and the american sx style tracks had me real shy, parked the bikes and took up footy.
Got back on the race track with QVMX in about 2000.
Started doing some modern stuff again.
Dirt bikes are in the blood.......and now my kids  $$$$$$$$$$  :-\

goldyracer

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2009, 03:06:35 pm »
Hi All

Start racing in Vic in 1972 on Honda Mini Trail rode vic tilll 1975 moved to qld and rode mini bikes till 14 then went to Jnrs the rode open was a grade give racing away in 1981 due bad injury then raced cars for 10 years my son now races have moved back to Austaralia and he will have 1st race here in 3 weeks we raced vmx in the usa he rides honda crf150 won many vic mini bike titles and a 125 qld title.

gilletty

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2009, 03:26:06 pm »
Done a little bit 090. Remember when you had the extended swingarm on your yz80 cause you were too tall and I was flat reaching out the ground on mine. Really only just tall enough now

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2009, 04:59:07 pm »
Done a little bit 090. Remember when you had the extended swingarm on your yz80 cause you were too tall and I was flat reaching out the ground on mine. Really only just tall enough now
Funny how tall i was at 14. Not much taller now. My eldest has just turned 14 and is almost eye balling me and wears size 13 shoes. I reckon it has to do with eating KFC and the bloody chemicals/ growth hormones they put in their chooks!
Ah the yz80H. I thought it was the coolest! DG head, bigger carb, modified exhaust and the longer box section swingarm my old man made.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2009, 08:54:18 am »
70/71 Patterson Honda Minibike Rallies on a SL70 and Honda Dax, methanol and straight-thrus naturally
72/73 Sub juniors in Vic on KTM 125 and Elsinores, 3rd at Vic short circuit champs at Granite Park, Seymour
74-78 MX, Short curcuit, long track on maicos and weslakes. 2nd at Vic Champs Wonthaggi in Non-Expert Division 1. They replaced A,B, C grade for a while with Expert/Non Expert Div 1 and 2. Buying MX bikes for 2k selling them for 1k at the end of the season, got too expensive so went Speedway solos and sidecars 78-80 then retired due to work. Came back in 88 for theVMX Nationals at Ravenswood. Difference back then was if you had an MX bike you could and would ride many disciplines, mx, short circuit, rally-cross at Calder, Long track at Romsey, Enduro/Desert Rallies such as tyhe Sunrasyia and even road racing if you could avord some wheels, gearing and little bars.
Made many mates back then, haven't found the same with son in modern mx but then I'm the old fart dad now who cleans the number plates.
NQ Rosco

Offline TC91

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2009, 12:47:00 pm »
First race on August 14 ( I think) 1977 at Ravenswood on YZ 80 D. Have raced continuously since then and still do.Have had a go at just about every type of racing in that time in every state.mx ( vintage since its inception), dirt track( inc 5 x Nepean 6 hours, Maryborough 3 hour), long track,road racing (Inc last Arai 500 at Bathurst, Stars of Tomorrow at Lakeside & Phillip Island), classic road racing,pony express, desert racing inc Mallee Rally x 7, hattah x 3, crewed at Australian Safari,trials,enduros, gymkanas even flag & barrel races. I have had 100,s of 'oh f!@k this is gunna hurt' moments,many "it does hurt',I've been drunk for 2 days after a big win at Golden City and have sat in the mud at a race nearly crying in frustration wondering why, been called every name you can think of & called a few back,have met many great friends spent months preparing for a race and failed on the first lap,seen the look on my dads face when I won a memorial race for his best mate and have had my 14 yr old daughter ask to come to the races only to realize once we are there she wasnt there to watch me. ( cant(( dont want to))figure that one out)Honestly I cant think of a better way to have spent the last 32 years