Author Topic: pre 90 racing  (Read 9091 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: pre 90 racing
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 03:32:41 pm »
I saw more 85 ~ 89 model bikes at CD6 than I can recall seeing anywhere since about 1990.

::)

The reason CD is so great is because its not burdened with the petty bickering that we seem to need to bring to racing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:35:48 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

PJR

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 03:38:10 pm »
What ever happened to Ray Ryans air cooled, drum brake, no linkage concept for Classic Dirt anyway? 
I've been around vintage since 1989 and I'm certain the sport has less competitors than 10 years ago. Why is that?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 04:09:54 pm »
Because of all the bitching?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 04:21:13 pm »
What ever happened to Ray Ryans air cooled, drum brake, no linkage concept for Classic Dirt anyway? 
Time changes lots of things.

I will blow the ' just as good as a modern' out of the water every time as i saw first hand a pro rider punt his 450f around at the front of the pack, only to jump on my 85 500 and place 4th, same day, same event.

I dont like to argue as it doesn't make friends, but i will always have plenty to say about pre 90 bikes... 'cause that is my child hood and teens right there. If anyone wants to deny me my time then prepare for yours truly to jump on the soap box.And again im not just a pre 90 soft cock, i have something to ride for nearly every class from pre 70.  >:(
Now... where'd my dummy go?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 05:11:39 pm »

OK Marc put your money where your mouth is  ;) If you feel so strongly this needs to happen then im sure you will be happy to organise a pre 90 meeting  :) will it be in Japan , Australia or maybe NZ .

you are obviously one of them so why not actually get out and run a meeting  :o
[/quote]

Well Bill I have had the experience of organizing events. Definitely once my job doesn't require me to traipse across the world I would like to do it again....just at the moment however I am reluctant to quit my day job. ;D

formerly Marc.com

magoo

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 05:51:58 pm »
Personally I couldn't care less whether Pre '90 gets a gurnsey or not but if 10 Pre '90 bikes on the grid spares me the torture of watching 3 Pre '75 125s, 2 Pre '70s or half a dozen pre '75 250s dawdling around the track at walking pace, wasting precious time and resources at a race meeting then bring it on.
Face facts, other than big meetings like nationals and classic Dirt, the oil drippers don't turn up any more so to make a race meeting viable other classes are inevitable. If it's Pre '90 so be it.
I'm so over the "To be a Vintage bike it has to have 2 shocks", what a complete wank. Move on boys. The real Grand Daddy of us all, HRH Holeshot Buddy, is 126 years old and he raced a pre '90 bike when he was a "young" bloke so what's the drama. We went through the same thing with Evo and Pre '85. It's as big a myth as global warming.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »
well here we go again???

At the risk of being called wrong why don't we just decide on a formula for calculating same as for vintage, veteran cars.  If I remember rightly vintage is 25 years old, vetern is 20 years old etc etc etc.  The as time passes by (and becoming so quick) new classes naturally evolve.  And as everyone says numbers will decide on what is popular and what isn't.  And if people in NSW can't get enough to run a pre 75 250 race then they are more than welcome to come to WA ;D (where it hasn't been 40+ this week  :o)

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 06:18:29 pm »
what pics do you need waspy   Pics?  or do you want to see the montesa girls again
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:21:28 pm by paul »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 06:25:53 pm »
 ;D

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 06:30:04 pm »
Hi MarkFX.  Could you not enquire down the Vinduro path?  I am not sure Australian MA has any class or rules for these bikes yet,  but maybe up to 90 is accepted?  There is a Vinduro thread "new" on this forum and I know the webmaster is passionate about  growing that side of the group.  Get your wishlist up there and see what happens?  Good luck with it MarkFX.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 06:41:51 pm »
Are you talking girls or bikes , Ross . I am thinking of coming to WA , thats all .  :D  Please supply sample pics .

here's a typical WA VMX event, two rows of starters too  :o :o

Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 06:54:03 pm »
http://www.vipermx.com/2008_viper_results/Rd4_Wonthaggi/08_Round_4.htm

Then follow your nose to Pre90. It's alive and kicking in Victoria for the last 4 years.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 07:04:09 pm »
Bahnsy is right. pre 90 in Victoria goes back as far back as 2003 season or more (i know as i did the tail end of 2003 season as a comeback after 10 years away from MX)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

mainline

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 08:35:31 pm »
I usually don't bother with these bloody threads because they seem to pop up every week, but now we've got people bagging certain mx bikes as "oil dripping" " clankers", and others saying that pretty much anything after 1980 doesn't belong at a vintage meet. they are all old mx bikes !!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a quick squiz at Terry Goods collection, which (on the website at least) spans from 1961 to 1989. Tell me that every bike he's got isn't one you'd give your left nad for. http://www.mxworksbike.com/bikes%20a.htm

I grew up reading about the 'O' Show, Ricky Johnson, Jeff Ward, David Bailey, Ronnie Lechien, David Thorpe, Eric Geboers, Andre Malherbe, George Jobe, Jacky Vimond, etc etc etc. By the time I got into MX Roger Decoster was working with US Team Honda and I knew squat about him or what he had done. Who gives a shit when you're 15 yrs old?

In the extremely short time I've been into VMX not only have my taste in bikes expanded dramatically, but my interest in the history of the sport has increased immeasurably. I've been buying back issues of VMX mag every other week and devouring every bit of info I can find. I can't remember half of it, but I'm having fun reading about it.

I'm nearly finished the '79 YZ125 I've been working on, and my next project will with be a 76/77 YZ or RM, or an 84-86 KX125, or an 85-87 CR. I don't care which one it is because I like them all.

And as for people buying up 89 model bikes to be competitive in a Pre 90 race, what a wank. If I had the choice I'd be riding an 86 CR because that's what I had in the day, that's what my heroes were riding, and that is my "time" in MX. And if (and that is an unbelievably big if) I could ride, I could beat some turd on an '89 bike who bought it because it was the most modern thing he could buy that would meet the criteria.

I can't believe so many people have a bee in their bonnet about whether a bike (or a car or friggin' anything) is cool or not based on it's age. There is something that can be appreciated in pretty much anything of any vintage, whether it's the aesthetics, a piece of engineering, or just a vibe you get. I'd love a '37 Triumph Speed Twin in my shed as much as I'd like a 916 Ducati, and one of everything in between.

Lighten up people, it isn't like anyone is asking that a 2hr chunk of your next local race meet be dedicated to discussion on the latest Tupperware innovations! they're talking about more bike racing! And if you think more ride time is needed then think about how the meet could be better organised, and chip in and help instead of whinging about it here.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 09:02:48 pm »
In the extremely short time I've been into VMX not only have my taste in bikes expanded dramatically, but my interest in the history of the sport has increased immeasurably. I've been buying back issues of VMX mag every other week and devouring every bit of info I can find. I can't remember half of it, but I'm having fun reading about it

Gotta agree with that!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica