Author Topic: pre 90 racing  (Read 9081 times)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: pre 90 racing
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 09:12:52 pm »
This is what happens when a Pre90 race is on the line with a crew of New South Wesh men (and ladies) and some Vics at "BARRABOOL" one Autum day. 42 x 500cc machines tearing the shit out of the track. Something i will never forget.

Slip of the keyboard. Should read Barrabool, not Broadford - Has been corrected, sorry about that
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:41:12 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 09:33:58 pm »
Ah Its the Broadford venue again ,,, :o ,,,,,,this has too be a Bike Mecca.... :P
Choices and aren't we lucky we got em.  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 12:11:09 am »
I usually don't bother with these bloody threads because they seem to pop up every week, but now we've got people bagging certain mx bikes as "oil dripping" " clankers", and others saying that pretty much anything after 1980 doesn't belong at a vintage meet. they are all old mx bikes !!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a quick squiz at Terry Goods collection, which (on the website at least) spans from 1961 to 1989. Tell me that every bike he's got isn't one you'd give your left nad for. http://www.mxworksbike.com/bikes%20a.htm

I grew up reading about the 'O' Show, Ricky Johnson, Jeff Ward, David Bailey, Ronnie Lechien, David Thorpe, Eric Geboers, Andre Malherbe, George Jobe, Jacky Vimond, etc etc etc. By the time I got into MX Roger Decoster was working with US Team Honda and I knew squat about him or what he had done. Who gives a shit when you're 15 yrs old?

In the extremely short time I've been into VMX not only have my taste in bikes expanded dramatically, but my interest in the history of the sport has increased immeasurably. I've been buying back issues of VMX mag every other week and devouring every bit of info I can find. I can't remember half of it, but I'm having fun reading about it.

I'm nearly finished the '79 YZ125 I've been working on, and my next project will with be a 76/77 YZ or RM, or an 84-86 KX125, or an 85-87 CR. I don't care which one it is because I like them all.

And as for people buying up 89 model bikes to be competitive in a Pre 90 race, what a wank. If I had the choice I'd be riding an 86 CR because that's what I had in the day, that's what my heroes were riding, and that is my "time" in MX. And if (and that is an unbelievably big if) I could ride, I could beat some turd on an '89 bike who bought it because it was the most modern thing he could buy that would meet the criteria.

I can't believe so many people have a bee in their bonnet about whether a bike (or a car or friggin' anything) is cool or not based on it's age. There is something that can be appreciated in pretty much anything of any vintage, whether it's the aesthetics, a piece of engineering, or just a vibe you get. I'd love a '37 Triumph Speed Twin in my shed as much as I'd like a 916 Ducati, and one of everything in between.

Lighten up people, it isn't like anyone is asking that a 2hr chunk of your next local race meet be dedicated to discussion on the latest Tupperware innovations! they're talking about more bike racing! And if you think more ride time is needed then think about how the meet could be better organised, and chip in and help instead of whinging about it here.

Best post ever.

For the people who don't embrace a love of all old bikes, I have a simple question:

How will the introduction of pre-90 racing harm you/your love of older bikes?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 01:38:04 am »

How will the introduction of pre-90 racing harm you/your love of older bikes?
[/quote]

my bikes go from 1957 to 1984 at the moment and I wouldn't part with any of them. Likewise I get to ride the latest RMZ occasionally, nothing ever detracts from my love of having two wheels and an engine.

having pre 90 regs just means more bikes to choose from. Bring on the YZ250U....reunited it feels so good.  ;)

formerly Marc.com

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 09:59:25 am »
We're all entitled to our own opinions and that's all it is, differing opinions. Mainline and Nathan, you are the ones who need to "lighten up", as your posts are by far the most aggressive & confrontational. The only one's bitching are you two, bitching about people you think are bitching. No wonder VMX is fraught with controversy. Sheeesh!
Cheers,
K

mainline

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 10:52:21 am »
mate, with all due respect I think you should re-read my post. I don't think it's helpful for people who like the older classes of bikes to be referred to as "senior citizens" and old bikes to be called "oil dripping" "clankers".

That was the point I was making, that they're all old bikes and should all be appreciated. I can't for the life of me see how that is bitching?

Cheers

Doc

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 11:28:38 am »
If all goes to plan over the next little bit my next bike may well be an '89 RM250 :-X just so long as I don't have to sell any of my oil drippers to get it that is ;D pre'90..I like them 8) least I think I do :-\ will have to live with one before I'm eligable to comment ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: glory days
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 12:52:13 pm »
 bitching about people you think are bitching. No wonder VMX is fraught with controversy. Sheeesh!
[/quote]

man Im loosing track of whose bitchin  ;D Sorry Mainline, "senior citizens" was tongue in cheek, no offense meant.

I think VMX is  a lot about living the glory years, I am 45 and the limited glory was at the end of the 80s when I finally had enough money to afford to compete on new bikes. My older bikes I like because someone else rode them, like Bruce Harper, Peter Ploen, Ivan Miller, the Evo bikes are getting warmer but pre 90 would be disco for my era....its an emotional decision, you know like only liking bikes with alloy tanks. 
formerly Marc.com

Evil Rudy

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 12:43:42 am »
Let’s break this down a bit and leave aside wether its vintage or not to you wankers with an opinion... I am purely speaking from a NSW / Heaven perspective.

I stopped racing club MX 10+ years ago because some kid was trying to kill me for a ribbon one day. He t-boned me and ran me wide etc. I pulled in my pit and went looking to snot him. When I found him and realised he was just out of juniors I couldn’t hit him – so I treated his dad like a bitch for 5 minutes. That was enough.

So then I come back to race some VMX a couple years ago. How cool. What a great vibe. Bikes beat you up a little – oh well get over it. Everyone works on Monday so the racing is sweet. The drinks and camping are even better (hey Fernando?).

How nice would it be to grab up a more modern model and have another set of motos???

Low cost of entry, Cool vibe, work on Mondays.

Beats the shit out of losing a potential club member to a “modern” club.

I think of it in business terms as an extension of your primary offer. Like CrapDonalds and their upsizing your meal for you.
If marketed right (even if the extent of the marketing is this forum) the potential for bringing some new people who may then “extend their offer” to the club by buying an older bike makes for a sweet symbiotic relationship.

Would it really stop any of you from bringing your pre78 or your pre 85 as well? The upside is more track time for the same price. Not me. My fitness and the extra two bags of cement I carry around my mid-section might – but not my will to finish last in every race I enter.

It may not be ready for an Aussie title for another 10 years, but at a club level, what would it hurt?

Even Firko – the staunch support of all things 4 inches – eluded to the pre 90 movement as the “next growth area” in the recent VMX mag... never thought I’d read that.

Love,
Rudy

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 09:07:59 am »
We're all entitled to our own opinions and that's all it is, differing opinions. Mainline and Nathan, you are the ones who need to "lighten up", as your posts are by far the most aggressive & confrontational. The only one's bitching are you two, bitching about people you think are bitching. No wonder VMX is fraught with controversy. Sheeesh!
Cheers,
K

Interesting interpretation, Mr K.
My posts in this thread have been deliberately vague and open to interpretation.  ;)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

husky61

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 09:12:35 am »
Rudy

Mateeeeeeeeee

Where you been  bitch

Shoey

Evil Rudy

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 11:20:34 am »
Tu-Pac, my old friend, how’s the knee?

What have I been doing... apparently pissing off the Suzuki camp in their threads.

I might have to sell them all and buy a couple of Husky from you.

How many times are we going to Ribbo’s this year? Did you see my mug in the mag... Clubby’s a good friend.

I’m trolling around Sydney a lot – coffee?

husky61

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 11:46:56 am »
Rudy you poof

The knee is real good

Yep , i saw you in the mag. (shit , you ugly bitch)

Ring me bitch 0409 810 551 and we can arrange for you to troll in this direction for coffee.

Offline Damo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 03:17:15 pm »
Tu-Pac, my old friend, how’s the knee?

What have I been doing... apparently pissing off the Suzuki camp in their threads.

I might have to sell them all and buy a couple of Husky from you.

How many times are we going to Ribbo’s this year? Did you see my mug in the mag... Clubby’s a good friend.

I’m trolling around Sydney a lot – coffee?

Hey Rudy where you been "dog", missed you at Heaven last year,  need some more chewin tobackky dude.

Catch you soon dog.

Damo

runutz698

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 03:29:28 pm »
I guess in this whole discussion, It really comes down to what is vintage?? 25years or older?? If so that would make everyone on the fourm vintage would it not LOL ;D. Pre90 is not really Vintage is it?? ???