Author Topic: pre 90 racing  (Read 9080 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
pre 90 racing
« on: January 30, 2009, 06:33:11 pm »
about bloody time pre 90 got up.....they are almost 20 years old and it makes it more real for those of us who are 35-40s something. Make mine a KTM 350.  ::)
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: pre 90 racing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:43:15 pm »
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:10:05 pm »
http://www.fezone.com/atk/index.htm

ATK 406 anyone, flat as a tack power and weird as Michael Jackson
formerly Marc.com

magoo

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:49:52 pm »
I hope you're not in N.S.W., you'll be very dissappointed.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:13:39 pm »
Why bother? Everyone will be aiming to ride '89 models which are not much different to a current model bike really. Decent suspension, power valves, civilised power delivery and disc brakes. The moderns are just slighty more refined. You could go just as fast on an '89 CR250 as you could a 2007 model probably. Pre '85 is the last real vintage class and even that's a bit of a stretch IMO.
Cheers,
K

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:12:51 pm »
Well said BigK ,and your statements have knowledgeable and true meaning as you collect build then race all the classes.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:33:22 am »
You guys are just showing your age. The older you get the more one eyed you get. My  '85 cr500 is 24 years old. That aint no modern bike, it has the traits of a modern bike. I ride and restore all classes as well, so i too am knowledgeable and have true meaning. Not to mention know it all!  :P

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:25:03 am »
A modern would leave a pre 90 bike for dead, it's like comparing a '74 TM 400 to an '80 RM 400, they both share the same components, but that's where any similarities end.
Get from a '89 ktm 350 onto a '09 ktm 300 and you'll find twenty years is a lot of refining.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 08:40:47 am »
I hope you're not in N.S.W., you'll be very dissappointed.

Doesn't matter which vintage class you ride if you are in NSW,  You'll be very disapointed.. :-\

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:16:00 am »
I hope you're not in N.S.W., you'll be very disappointed.

it will come, like Evo did, people 35-40 will start racing pre 90 as they can't relate or afford the old clankers, be reunited with the bike they loved in their spotted youth and VMX will have completed another 5 year cycle.

With the senior citizens bitching about it all the while, remember the profits of doom claiming the Evo would kill VMX, to the point of forcing alternative organizations to spring up. Same will happen again.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 10:44:00 am »
Doesn't matter which vintage class you ride if you are in NSW,  You'll be very disapointed.. :-\

Meow, sista!

Been to a HEAVEN event in the last few years? Or are you one of the too-many who want to bitch and moan because the club doesn't pander to your exact whim? Or got the shits 8 years ago, and refuse to come back, even though the club is radically different now?

I can get pretty passionate about the pre-90 thing, but that sort of shit from someone who hasn't even been to an event in the 3 years that I've been involved in the club, is pretty weak.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TM BILL

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 12:38:38 pm »
about bloody time pre 90 got up.....they are almost 20 years old and it makes it more real for those of us who are 35-40s something. Make mine a KTM 350.  ::)

OK Marc put your money where your mouth is  ;) If you feel so strongly this needs to happen then im sure you will be happy to organise a pre 90 meeting  :) will it be in Japan , Australia or maybe NZ .

Or have i got it wrong  ??? and you want to piggy back your pre 90 class into true vintage meetings  ::)

This topic has been thrashed about on this site many times and there are obviously people who are keen for it to happen , you are obviously one of them so why not actually get out and run a meeting  :o

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 12:45:11 pm »
i remember back in the mid eightys
pre 80 came in :o
everyone jacked up then
we were all on pre 75s :'(
i remember they allowed them to ride
on the day in races of there own
untill they broke away and formed there own club
probably the fourfront for viper
funny thing is back then pre75 was only
11 years old
not twenty like pre 90
just remember its just another class
it will not create domination
also it gives riders  another option for a bike
which is readily available around
i have all pre75 class bikes pre78 same pre 85 and evo and pre 90
i race them all (looking for a pre 70) ;D
one of the reasons for having pre 90 is riders might like to ride
the bikes they raced back then instead of riding
older models they never even rode
i have been racing vintage since 1986
and have seen all the classes come along
it took 3 years of lobbying to get pre 85 in up her in qld
its been running for about 3 years now
and it hasnt taken over like lots of people said
just normal fields of riders at club days
about 15 500s same for 250s and maybe 10 125s most of them existing members looking for another ride
so i really think pre 90 will follow the same path
the prices of vintage pre 75 and 78 bikes are very high :o
so you might have one but cant afford another
but want more rides at your club days
pre 90 is perfect bikes are more availiable generally cheaper
parts more availiable and its another ride ;)
this year our club has introduced pre 90 we will see how it goes
will keep you posted ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:46:58 pm by holeshot buddy »
follow me to first turn

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 12:48:43 pm »
it is right to say those who cut their teeth on bikes of a certain era will eventually get to compete in an appropriate class. what will lead up to this is demand by numbers, [turning out at meetings]. for instance programs at nepean  in my experience have been developed from bikes of a certain class turning out on the day being catered for. if this doesnt happen in your experience maybe your input is required at club meeting nights instead of muttering under a beard to your self... as a bloke from the old days when you did things for yourself and didn't have a parent who supplied the latest peewee 50/or the latest flash gear to go with it you sulked .it seems to me to many gen xers or whatever expect some other person to sort every thing out automatically. there are meetings that some members go to instead of watching the box and discuss such issues. if some issues need to be dealt with at other than a club level there is a procedure where concerns or whatever can be refered to a specific committee [that you can vote for and/or standfor], that can make recommendations to MA through the local controlling bodies. the more people that stand for these committees the stronger there authority will become. it seems to me certain  of our committees dont carry much impact with MA because MA is under the impression that not enough riders are really interested. consequently a lot of committee members get shirty with the whole deal and drop out .in other words support your clubs and committees and the blokes that have a go...cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

PJR

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 03:29:59 pm »
This old chestnut is getting a little monotonous. Some people want it, mostly because that's the era they came from and thats understandable. Others dislike it because od the close resemblence to modern bikes, therby losing the old and funky look and feel that vintage and twin shock bikes provide. That's also understandable. I don't think the age of the bike is relevent, it's more the vibe of bike and to many the pre 90 bikes don't have the vintage feel. I understand the fear that many have that if pre 90 is introduced it will only be a little while before someone will call for pre 95. It'll happen for sure as no sooner has pre '85 kicked off, along comes pre 90 before pre 85 got a chance to settle in. It disapoints me that pre 90 is coming in but I guess its inevitable. It's a shame but thats the sign of the time. I couldn't be bothered arguing the point any more. Thank f*#k for Classic Dirt where a genuine vintage bike and its proud owner can have his fun.