Author Topic: Removing dents with ice ???  (Read 6322 times)

Doc

Removing dents with ice ???
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:29:19 pm »
You can get the dents out of the tank by filling it with water and sticking it in a chest freezer ..... you don't have to fill the entire tank ..... just make sure the part with the dents is below the water line .... the same method can be used for getting dents out of pipes ......

hmmm..you can????..sounds easy E'nuff..came across this today while grazing the internet..has anyone tried this method? I'm about to so I was sort of wondering if I'm wasting my time and precious water :D only a small dent in an RM50 tank and not creased so will let you know the results ;)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Removing dents with ice ???
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:32:06 pm »
in theroy it should work just makesure the tank is air tight
MUGEN power

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:52:32 pm »
in theroy it should work just makesure the tank is air tight

I would agree ,but it doesn't do it with milk in 2lt plastic.good luck
Best is in the West !!

Offline Greenstripe 250

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:17:10 pm »
But why will it only expand at the dent,and not over the whole tank? Try it on an old tank first,I think this remedy is a bit of an old wives tale...
1973 XR75KO
1974 CR250M
1975 YZ80B
1976 YZ80C

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 06:43:19 pm »
i will be very surprised if this works well, if at all. if its that small and you dont mind the loss of a few mls of fuel capacity i would just use filler or 'bog' there are high quality fillers out there these days, that are very good. the one i use is a Ktech brand which is what the professionals panel/crash shops use, well actually these days on cars they just replace the whole body pannel with a new one! at work we will knock the really big dents out though the filler or tap hole or if really need we cut the whole base of the tank out to get the dents out.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

mainline

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:47:29 pm »
what about straightening the tuffs on your bmx after a stack? isn't the freezer good for that too?

Doc

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:13:15 pm »
yup but that's plastic wheels Mainline, I be/they be talking steel tanks and steel chambers..I've been pondering this all afternoon and even though I have 2 souces of the same information I am still highly dubious of the any results excepting a very cold fuel tank with a chunk of ice stuck inside I'll have to wait 8 hours to defrost and by then surface rust will have reared it's ugly head and I'll be most distressed. I meant to do it tonight to an old tank but I forgot to take it as the freezer size I need I don't have here. Tomorrow morning I'll pop it in and by tomorrow night I should have some ummm..I'd like to say results but I'm leaning towards reporting zac ::) will see
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:15:17 pm by Doc »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:29:09 pm »
i hope someone trys its and sees if it really works
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:16:28 pm »
hasnt this been mentioned before and it blow out the seams cause it expanded in every direction ? spliting the tank to leaK.

If i remember it was said to only work when you where able to control the freeze and the tank was tightly strapped ( as in covered with tie downs, so it couldnt expand anywhere other than where the dent was. 

From memory the only dents they got to work where low shallow dents or more like press in's, Dents  that where deep and small diameter held more strain and didnt pop back instead the seems and other low load areas blew out and the tank went into a balloon shape and went oval out of its original curves.

also the fuel tap rings a bell like it needed to be removed, i also heard air preesure pops the same shape dents out.

be wery wery wery careful ..doc
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:20:25 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:24:35 pm »
good thinking freaky. we shall see. i certainly wont be offering up any tanks to be potentially sacrificed though ;D
whos game enough to try this?

ice sure wouldnt work on dents with a sharp edge, but shallow maybe.....

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 12:05:38 am »
remember alloy soft drink cans when left in the freezer for too long that popped their ends ?why not try heated water that can be controlled and cooled quickly if required or water pressure released by the fuel tap,the heat source can be gas torch or heat gun

TT5 Matt

Doc

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:10:11 am »
I'm not really out to fix a tank I just stumbled across this and thought it may have some merit and maybe worth a go on shallow uncreased dents like knee indentations. I normally putty up the ding if it's a little ugly and looks like it'll be a problem. Easiest and quickest method I know but for tanks of polished alloy type I thought it may have been worth something ;) will try on a shit tank anyway and see what happens. I reckon you'd need to check every 10 or 15 minutes once it starts to freeze so as it doesn't go all pear shaped.

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:03:28 am »
im curious if this work because my 125a tank is too good to respray but it has a few dints
MUGEN power

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 02:09:07 pm »
I like to use ice when repairing chambers, it works a treat.

I put it in my Bourbon & coke while I use heat & pressure to remove the dents.

;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

husky61

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 03:00:26 pm »
 Bourbon and Coke works wonders on all types of repairs.