Author Topic: Open Class XR race development and advise  (Read 40098 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Open Class XR race development and advise
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2016, 05:29:48 pm »
that's a hot xr! might even level peg the 510 :o

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2016, 07:57:12 pm »
Dig that little XR Bruce. Top job! I'd love to see and hear it sticking to the 2 smokers.

As for making the XR500RE a better (mx) bike than what it is Mick, sorting out suspension is a better place to start than hotting up the motor. They already go like the clappers as you know. Get a set of big bore headers and ditch the heavy OEM muffler for something lighter. Also close the gap on the actuator for the carbs, allowing the carbs to run longer on the first gets much better response and makes for easier starting.

I had one when they were new and used it for enduros and mx. It was big and heavy but I was young and fit. Wheelstands from one end of the planet to the other were no problem thanks to the short swingarm and incredible motor.

Ballards sorted the suspension for me with revalving and heavier springs front and back. Teknic (Nick Dole) was working for Ballards at the time so he probably still has records of what he did to make the XR handle better. Teknic is in Penrith. GB also suggested an 18" rear wheel so I went with that as well.

I think extending the swing arm by 30mm or so would make for a much more stable bike that wont wheelstand at the twist of throttle unless you want it to. Not sure on this, but maybe an alloy swingarm from a later 600 will fit? Or 84 Cr250 swingarm with the shock mount modified?

Slimming the fuel tank with something smaller wouldn't hurt the cause either. There are plenty of modified XR's out there in google land you can search for ideas.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2016, 09:46:32 pm »
I suppose the avantage of knowing all about everything is that you never have to acknowledge error after a with blinkers on rant. You are of extraordinary character Nathan. Your a real top bloke.

What? The fact that I didn't know they still sell XR650Ls in third world countries?
My apologies.

Would you be happier if I said "they stopped selling them in developed counties for a reason"?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2016, 10:18:47 pm »
I'm as happy as Nathan. Doesn't really bother me. It was weaknesses of the big heavy thumper that I was looking for.
I do find you persona more than bissar though. Particularly never being able to acknowledge enlightenment. To the point of continued argument to the extent of still slinging shit. 
So in your opinion, the one that we should all adopt? you say the USA is a third world country now? is that right?

Ever had a thought that you haven't said?
Doubt it.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2016, 10:37:03 pm »
pharrrk,worse
my head still hurts, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2016, 10:49:21 pm »
I love my XR500RD.  Had it since 1987 and rode the wheels of it.  Even had a head on with a car in Sydney and snapped it in half.  Its been used and abused.  Rebuilt it, licensed it, rode it then put it in my man cave. It deserves the rest.  I had the original speedo rebuilt and calibrated by Otto Instruments.  The rims are the originals, i just sent them to Ash's wheels and he sanded and re-anodized them in gold.
Weak points for me were the electrics.. regulator rectifiers.  Timing chains... stretch and rattle. 
Anyone who has an XR gets the feel for starting them and can usually get it first kick from tdc.
My mate had the 350 and i could blow him into the weeds. 
As an upgrade now, XR's Only still makes the nice mufflers.  XR's only and Ballards still sell heaps of nickers nackers for the old XR's.

Cheers,

Offline Broad-Arrow

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2016, 10:23:39 am »
http://s300.photobucket.com/user/logistics835/media/xr200%202_zpstykrvwsc.jpg.html
http://s300.photobucket.com/user/logistics835/media/xr200%201_zpswv4gstgl.jpg.html
Here is a couple of photos of my xr200 nearly ready for racing
XR class would be good
will be running it the Viper series against all the 250 2 strokes
and the over 45s old man events

That's a great looking build Bruce G. Amazing, well imagined and expedited 8)

Great work!  Hope to see it in action in the dirt (it would make a popular youtube vid!).  How about a feature in VMX magazine? 

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2016, 11:27:41 am »
liking this post, luved me XR's and still do, thanx

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2016, 06:11:52 pm »
Ever had a thought that you haven't said?
Doubt it.

All the time, Mick.
All the time.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2016, 07:07:12 pm »
Bloody Nice bike, they are a a think of beauty those CR's XR's in the 80's red with blue and gold is a classy look.

Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Broad-Arrow

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2016, 09:46:30 pm »
Bloody Nice bike, they are a a think of beauty those CR's XR's in the 80's red with blue and gold is a classy look.

Advertising from the era:

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2016, 09:57:17 pm »
they are a thing of beauty. in 1985 I borrowed a mates 510 husky to have a club day ride at Ravenswood track near Bendigo. I rode the first leg of the open class and won :o. ( I cant ride out of sight on a dark night) I stopped twice to let the local champ on his xr 600 (sponsored) catch up so we could race . I lined up for the final leg and the club president comes over and says "you cant ride, if you beat ol mate he will loose the overall championship for the year". I went home.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2016, 01:30:25 pm »
The big fin head was not Ballards idea originally. They were a HRC item.
I am pretty sure Ballards stopped specializing in XR's years ago because around 2005 i contacted them about getting their 'special repair' done on a cracked 84 XL250 head and they said they no longer do that stuff and referred me onto someone else.

That's great to know 8) I have always wondered right back from the thumpernats days till present why they have never been the subject of protest, now I know, Thanks mate.

I much prefer the twin carb arrangement and don't have any trouble or difficulty with them. I think they are partially responsible for the beautiful spread of torque on the 500 I personally see the single carb as a major step backwards.

I don't own any cracked heads, Yet ::)
I own 2 x twin carb 500 heads
2 x twin carb 600 heads.
2 x twin carb 350 heads,  none are cracked or repaired. Some have fair done some work too, so they don't all crack.

My intention is to service my goer 500 and gradually improve it as time and money allows.
To do my second one as an ultralight ::) :)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:56:57 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2016, 01:36:25 pm »

Advertising from the era:

Yes, I love the look of them, that is beaut to me they just look the goods.
I dig the story that comes with the one above too, cool as. I am a vintage bloke who just drools over vintage bikes :P
So shed and substitute the unnecessary weight for vintage racing.
Its not like I'm dreaming of entering it in observed trials,  ::)
And although mine wasn't at the front of the pack, it was working toward it and it was still a hell of a long way from the rear.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:58:24 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2016, 01:45:27 pm »
Just got a great shot of optimism ;D ;D

As I inferred, I was really impressed when I saw the welding on a big fin head recently 8)
But whilst I was looking at it, I was also thinking the guy on the Central Coast is as good or even better :) true.

Well, all good. He is still in the game 8)
Just got take one to copy off and book in with him at a time whilst he isn't away as welder on call for big international events,
Such as every Americas Cup challenge,,,,,etc, etc, etc 8)

He,he,he ;D ;D