Author Topic: Check the dump.  (Read 18047 times)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Check the dump.
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008, 07:41:33 am »
unfknblvable,
                  did you also notice that the previous owner had also replaced the rear gaurd with a nos item which still has the label attached to the underside of the gaurd? Nice straight tank though. I believe the rest of this bike is floating around Grantham somewhere, thats where it came from. I picked it up about 15 years ago, so I am stretched to remember exactly where, good luck though. I believe there is an annual swap meet out that way, you may been just lucky enough to find the engine stuffed into some home made go-kart or something similar.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

mx250

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 05:18:18 pm »
that cat would be worth heaps if he  :o  was pregnant  ;D  ;D. jimson
Probably, but I don't think I would be worth much as a vet ::)

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2008, 11:05:21 pm »
I found a SR500 donk at Toronto tip a few years ago and took it home for $20. Few weeks later a mate brought over and SR500 minus top end that he was given so we put the dumpster engine in and with new oil and plug it ran!!! Then subsequently sold it for a handsome amount...

Quicksilver

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2008, 08:18:29 pm »
Got another dump score today ;D. Will post a picture tomorrow. This time a Honda. Not a great collectable model, or even sort after for that matter. But Hey.. $20 from the dump and its in decent condition too. Cant beat it I reckon.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2008, 10:23:20 am »
design would have been more fun as  actual 10 speed.... low range is seriously low.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2008, 11:41:36 am »
* A few years ago I bought a Mk4 Triumph Metisse less engine from a bloke who had originally found the complete bike on the Inverell tip.

* A Victorian mate was in line to enter the tip a few years ago and happened to look into his rear view mirror and saw handlebars poking from a trailer a few cars behind. As there was a bit of a traffic snag he walked back to the bike and discovered an almost complete Bultaco M11 (Bultaco Metisse) . My mate offered the bloke $50 for the bike and they pulled over and swapped trailer contents. As well as the Bully he got a Deltex Rockhopper and a cherry pre war BSA pushy.

*Another old Vintage racer found a '76 WR250 Husky less motor, One of those mid 80s Kawasaki 250 2 stroke racey type road bikes (KR250?), that just needed plugs to go and a nearly complete KLX 250  all within a fortnight at the Wallgrove tip in Sydneys west.

* Back in the early 90s I was up in Mackay, Qld visiting a mate whose job was to service agricultural pumps and compressors on banana farms and other businesses. I went out with him on his run one day and at the end of the day he had to service a compressor at the local bus depot. As we were leaving we spotted something shiny sitting up on top of a pile of old bus tyres and other dumped shite. On a hunch we walked over to the pile and discovered a straight as a gunbarrel '74 Maico narrow alloy tank. As my mate was an old Maico racer we got a little excited and started to dig through the junk looking for the rest. After an hour we'd managed to find an almost complete '74.5 250, the only things missing being the back wheel, seat, pipe and assorted nuts and bolts. The next day while Rob was working I decided to pull down the engine and discovered that it was on original bore, with little work under its belt. The big end was trashed but other than that it was A1. It even threw a good spark. The back wheel turned up a month or so later at a swap meet, so Rob put the bike back together and raced it in a couple of beach races up there before selling it off to Paul Chipendale who had Andrew Bailey riding it from time to time.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:15:24 pm by firko »

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2008, 01:15:33 pm »
i didnt mange to find ant thing at the dump but i found a ts100 during a hard rubbish collection i was on a training run cough to the pub  ;D asked the owner of the house they said it was ok to take even ran just no guards so i rode the thing home  ;D (around one block )
MUGEN power

husky61

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2008, 01:16:26 pm »
In 1996 we found a complete SL 125 honda at Menai tip that only needed petrol. It was almost completely covered in rubbish  .We still have it on my brothers property. The only work  done on it over the last 12 or so years is a new rear tyre, air filter ,chain and accasional oil change.
About ten children have learned to ride on this bike and it gets a ride nearly every week-end.

Great little bike. My brother calls it the quite achiever.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2008, 09:11:26 pm »
i did a big dump this morning but could not find any bikes in it
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

mainline

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2008, 08:34:43 pm »
don't forget that Firko had to dig around a fair bit to find the maico

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2008, 08:44:29 pm »
hoony you have too offer  the man in the office a cash incentive /spotters fee and tell him to ring you  lol.deepending on which tip .
i have a friend at  sims metal  lol

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2008, 12:23:30 am »
hoony you have too offer  the man in the office a cash incentive /spotters fee and tell him to ring you  lol.deepending on which tip .
i have a friend at  sims metal  lol

Nobody could pay me enough to dig through the dump Hoony is talking about.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2008, 08:26:49 am »
i did a big dump this morning but could not find any bikes in it
lol...hahahahehehe....ahh hoony you CRACK me up.... :D

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2008, 08:48:11 am »
My MR175 came from the dump as a complete rolling chassis less tank pipe and motor...........six weeks later a mate found the side cover there..........then about six weeks after that a bloke turned up with motor,pipe,tankand allnew engine parts ,still in their wrappers,and said if I didn't want them they were going to the dump..............silly question really !..........turns out it was a bike I had given his brother-in-law about ten years ago..................now I've got three of them.

Roger

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2008, 10:39:32 am »
I grew up in an outer sydney suburb which had the local municipal tip nearby (pushy distance). once or twice a week after school, we'd head down there to scoop up the offerings from the seventies' mass-produced society.  anything and everything was had from metals to jewellry to household goods of every kind to mags (of every kind....) to lawnmowers, bicycles, motorbikes (normally bits of) and cars.  You'd be amazed at the number of old holdens people would drive and leave at the tip when rego ran out.  We trashed scores of them in the scrub in every imaginable way.  We all made small fortunes from onselling retrieved 'junk'.  For some, it was their job and they made big money.  One guy went on to importing container loads of Royal Enfields and things from India.  Same dude ran a corker of a business cleaning out houses of people recently deceased, keeping unwanted valuables as part payment.  Antiques in other words.  Made a fortune.