Author Topic: VW valve fail  (Read 21753 times)

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: VW valve fail
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 09:32:29 am »
Oz have some pretty good warranty regs. Sure someone can say it has two years 40 thou warranty but that means diddly squat if pushed. There is an implied warranty that states the product must last for a reasonable expected time period. If you feel that the failed product should have reasonably lasted in a servicable condition for linger than the stated period then by law the manufacturer has a duty to repair or replace at their discretion.  In other words.. jump up and down.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2015, 09:46:52 am »
I would be surprised if VW didn't fix this for free, get it taken to a dealer and jump up and down..... they will fix it.....Had a customers Passat with injector problems [well known in the industry for quite a few years], had done 150K's, 6 years old so way out of warranty, guess what, they replaced all the injectors for free. Another with a shitbox Ammarok that the fanbelt shredded and bits got behind the plastic timing belt cover....bent all the valves...3 months out of warranty but dealer serviced....they towed it away, put a brand new head on it in 2 days [they keep complete heads in stock for them....very common failure]...all for free....VW = German for shitbox.....lol.....they have lots more problems than just dodgy engine management systems. Go on Google....lots of happy customers....not.

Thats a good read John, a bout time you weighed in . so who would buy a s/h VW out of warranty?
no one with any sense according to the two mechanics in my side street. My friend with a top of the line vw toerag reckons he got a bill from vw for $3,300 for a  brake reline and general service.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 10:06:04 am »
A mate who worked for VW in parts from when he left school at 15 until he retired at 65 a couple of years ago said that Toerags where the worst vehicle that VW ever made....he'd seen them all....could recite Vdub part numbers like the ABC..... ;D.....yea Micky D....you wouldn't want to own one or be a dealer...a company I know with a big Crafter van in 200K's....2 turbo's, 2 6 speed gearbox's and the injectors done amongst the A/cond failing and other little gremblem's....all done under warranty...even at 180K's.....zero quality....as Billy said, 2 world wars, 2 world cups....lol.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 10:09:28 am »
The head is flat, it forms one boundary of combustion. So it will be running a "Dish top piston" to form a combustion chamber

The outer flat rim of that piston runs very close to the head at TDC. the valve spring does not have enough stored energy to slam that valve shut and punch out that missing shape(valves and seats are very tough). if there were a foreign body some how come through and lodged between valve face and seat that wide rim on the piston would have smashed the crap out of the valve, yet there is absolutely not one bit of witness on the carbon on the valve head to that effect. If it were a foreign body there would be witness all over the joint.

I know your only getting second hand info, so are we, makes things difficult for all.
If it has been dealer serviced Johns advice of going to a dealer rep is obvious and sound, but hard if they are stranded miles from no where? without premium road side assist? it would be a hell stressful time for them
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:15:25 am by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 10:18:44 am »
A mate who worked for VW in parts from when he left school at 15 until he retired at 65 a couple of years ago said that Toerags where the worst vehicle that VW ever made....he'd seen them all....could recite Vdub part numbers like the ABC..... ;D.....yea Micky D....you wouldn't want to own one or be a dealer...a company I know with a big Crafter van in 200K's....2 turbo's, 2 6 speed gearbox's and the injectors done amongst the A/cond failing and other little gremblem's....all done under warranty...even at 180K's.....zero quality....as Billy said, 2 world wars, 2 world cups....lol.

;D ;D now don't antagonise them ;D sport is for bring us all together ::)
Gord, no wonder they lost they war, thank fug they were driving vw's  ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 11:31:52 am »
Don't mention the war! You'll upset someone...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 11:48:38 am »
 "they could only use electric loaders with big trailing cables on them",  Powered by ducking great portable diesel powered generators above ground........ ::)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2015, 01:10:09 am »

A mate of mine who has been a lover of VW's all of his adult life, often rips me off about owning a Harley, old joke about when am I going to buy the ute. 
   I remind him that if VW's are so good why do they always have at least 2 wrecks in their back yard to keep the parts up to the one they are driving.
                                   Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2015, 07:18:55 am »
mobil (my old Brother in law) had a toerag and what a stormer of a car...(when it ran) it blew the turbo and vdub fixed that but it filled the cats with oil..15k or so and he had a hell of a fight to get that fixed...picked it up after 3 months off the road and the air suspension blew out....he bought a jeep!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 08:39:11 am »
Was at a mates dyno shop yesterday picking up a car, they had an Audi A4, only a few years old get towed in, the DPF filled up and the guy kept driving it for another 6 months with the warning light on......Audi's quote to fix it was $22K......even the dealers have no clue how to fix things.....just replace everything....modern diesels are scary things....I guess that's why the Yanks still put V8 petrols in everything.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 09:51:12 am »
"mobil (my old Brother in law) had a toerag and what a stormer of a car...(when it ran) it blew the turbo and vdub fixed that but it filled the cats with oil..15k or so and he had a hell of a fight to get that fixed...picked it up after 3 months off the road and the air suspension blew out....he bought a jeep!"

Out of the frying pan.............
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 03:13:58 pm by ajcmbrown »

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2015, 10:10:22 am »
Modern diesels are scary.

I had a mechanic tell me the (non turbo 5 cyl) in my current old van should last 500 000km, if I don't look after it. A million if I do. God it's slow though.

After test driving a new Mercedes Sprinter and a Ford Transit, and considering a VW Crafter, I've ordered a Transit.

I'm a bit scared, but at least it has a 5 year warrenty.

My '73 Transit (with Falcon engine/gearbox/diff) was a great car.
They have been known as Ford Tragic Vans for a while.
I'm hoping the new one is ok. Drives great.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2015, 10:22:49 am »
Was at a mates dyno shop yesterday picking up a car, they had an Audi A4, only a few years old get towed in, the DPF filled up and the guy kept driving it for another 6 months with the warning light on......Audi's quote to fix it was $22K......even the dealers have no clue how to fix things.....just replace everything....modern diesels are scary things....I guess that's why the Yanks still put V8 petrols in everything.

$22K for a filter! that can't be cleaned or reset :o :o :o :o ,,,geebuz, allah, budda,,,,, Adolfs revenge!

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2015, 12:21:51 pm »
ok whats a DPF for the veiwers not in the car game?

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2015, 12:40:12 pm »
ok whats a DPF for the veiwers not in the car game?

Its a filter that goes on the exhaust of Diesels to removes Particle matter, Diesel particulate filter.