Author Topic: What flatslides are legal for Pre 85?  (Read 73889 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What flatslides are legal for Pre 85?
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2015, 05:53:09 pm »
I can picture a hoard of self appointed eligibility scrutineers in spectacles & white coats skulking around the pits taking notes, disqualifying bikes for incorrect carbs, forks, seat covers, nuts, bolts & split spins. Then I can see them skwarking blue murder after being punched in the face that's it's all in the spirit of VMX. Too bad these types seem to have forgotten about actual VMX racing, where someone has to get on a bike & ride it to participate in a VMX race. I get beaten all the time in VMX, but it isn't because the guys in front of me have later model forks, carbs or safety seats, it's because they can ride better than me. Another thread to the detriment of the sport for those who haven't already had enough of the BS.
What a load of crock! No wonder VMX is suffering as a whole.
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it is a duck, isn't it?
Try not to get too bent out of shape you guys, it's just my opinion.
K

Let me know when you want to hold your hands up. I'll be first there.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2015, 06:08:53 pm »
This thread is going to infinity and beyond as buzz light year would say   ;D
Just grip it and rip it guys .

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2015, 06:11:06 pm »
It's time to close this thread Graeme, but just do after I get the last post in.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2015, 06:27:07 pm »

I won't argue for rear disc brakes or watercooling on a 84 CR500 but an 80's carby on an 80's bike shouldn't have to cause an unfit, slow 56 year old the additional worry of wondering if he will be sent home in disgrace for an eligibility infraction.

But this is a furphy. You won't be sent home for having an illegal carb. One (or more) of four things will happen:
1. You will race in Pre-90;
2. You will be told to fix it for next time;
3. You will race for no points;
4. You will race an nobody will care.

None of these are bad outcomes. But none if this stops it being a post-84 carb that is illegal in a Pre-85 bike.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2015, 06:35:33 pm »
Flatslide... when you accidentally drop the bucket of a 22 tonne excavator on you kids swing set.                      Been there , done that >:(
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2015, 06:42:06 pm »
It's time to close this thread Graeme, but just do after I get the last post in.

You have a thing about appealing to a higher authority..

I have found this thread very helpful
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2015, 06:51:23 pm »
Why close it. This clown came on here threatening to smack someone in the mouth. Well I'll accommodate him.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2015, 07:02:11 pm »
One question. Is this the face of VMX we want out there for any new riders, potential riders or sponsorsto see?

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2015, 07:15:51 pm »
Why close it. This clown came on here threatening to smack someone in the mouth. Well I'll accommodate him.

WTF TED?.... I didn't read that anywhere.
I can picture a hoard of self appointed eligibility scrutineers in spectacles & white coats skulking around the pits taking notes, disqualifying bikes for incorrect carbs, forks, seat covers, nuts, bolts & split spins. Then I can see them skwarking blue murder after being punched in the face that's it's all in the spirit of VMX. Too bad these types seem to have forgotten about actual VMX racing, where someone has to get on a bike & ride it to participate in a VMX race. I get beaten all the time in VMX, but it isn't because the guys in front of me have later model forks, carbs or safety seats, it's because they can ride better than me. Another thread to the detriment of the sport for those who haven't already had enough of the BS.
What a load of crock! No wonder VMX is suffering as a whole.
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it is a duck, isn't it?
Try not to get too bent out of shape you guys, it's just my opinion.
K

Let me know when you want to hold your hands up. I'll be first there.

Of course you would Ted. Mick DIDN"T threaten anybody. Let alone you. He was obviously speaking about how heated things could get if buttons are pushed the wrong way.

You pedantic types really do bug me. When did you lot become the be all and all of VMX and the rules pertaining to it Ted?Nathan ?

You haven't an inkling of an idea of what was actually available in the way of Carby's before 30/12/1984.

The fact is, any one could of walked into a Honda dealership in late 1984 and purchased a Keihin FS carb. And that, is that. It doesn't matter what bike that carby is in stock for, IT WAS PRODUCED BEFORE THE CUT OFF DATE FOR PRE85.
And you blokes can't tell me that you aren't running cartridge fork internals or emulators in your bikes forks, Or had the whole shebang of the rear shock modified to modern specs, so don't try to argue that any later model "major components" aren't legal. Secondly, How is a carby a "major component"? Last time I checked, a carby is a consumable item when you're talking about vintage stuff. I have any number of totally flogged carby's in my shed, both Keihin and Mikuni. There's even a late model Dellorto PH38 that is flogged.....There's a couple of clapped out Stromberg and Rochesters as well.

You blokes just refuse to see past the end of your own noses.

I'm with BigK. Stop putting 18y olds on vintage bikes to race old men on old bikes at national events. If the kids were really that good at racing MX, they would be in the US or Europe on a sponsored factory ride with the best of everything at their disposal, instead of thinking they are "AWESOME" because they win a race against old blokes, at least twice, if not 3 times their age. All for a $2 trophy and their name in a book.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2015, 07:17:13 pm »
One question. Is this the face of VMX we want out there for any new riders, potential riders or sponsorsto see?

Some here think it is SS50.....But then, they know better than us mere mortals.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2015, 07:57:26 pm »

I won't argue for rear disc brakes or watercooling on a 84 CR500 but an 80's carby on an 80's bike shouldn't have to cause an unfit, slow 56 year old the additional worry of wondering if he will be sent home in disgrace for an eligibility infraction.

But this is a furphy. You won't be sent home for having an illegal carb. One (or more) of four things will happen:
1. You will race in Pre-90;
2. You will be told to fix it for next time;
3. You will race for no points;
4. You will race an nobody will care.

None of these are bad outcomes. But none if this stops it being a post-84 carb that is illegal in a Pre-85 bike.

I have been witnessing (4.) at various club and interclub meetings. I've not been to a Nationals but from the info JohnnyO provided contentious parts are often time honored.

My argument is that the flat slide carbies should be OK.

Isn't the proper way to test a scrutineer's decision on a contentious part to  appeal within half an hour and have a Steward's hearing? If the Steward finds in favour of the rider, all good.  If no,  a notification of intention to appeal is made and within 21 days a  appeal is lodged following which a proper hearing takes place. What is unclear is if the appeal hearing ruling immediately becomes a bulletined or similar legality precedent.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:57:12 pm by Momus »
If you love it, lube it.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2015, 08:00:34 pm »
Just like your interpretation of the rules Ted, your interpretation of my post is way off, then you get stuck in with the personal attacks toward anyone who has a differing opinion to yourself. Goes to show your gumption or lack thereof. I'd rather race you (not your bike with a kid on it), but if you must have it your way, I'll gladly give you a smack in the mouth, you did after all just ask for it.
By the way, I've never worn huge shoes or a funny hat & I don't have a round red nose but I will if it makes it easier for you to find me.
K

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2015, 08:05:27 pm »
As for lodging a protest against a bike before anyone hits the track, well I disagree. No protests should be heard before any actual racing & only then if you're in the top 5 place getters banging bars. Protesting in the pits is utter BS. If you have that little confidence in your riding ability, perhaps it's time to take up golf.
K

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2015, 08:38:44 pm »
At the risk of getting back to the core question.    I had an EI flat slide Carby on a cr kitted Honda mt250 in ( I think) about 1981.  It certainly was no later than 1982.   On a dirt track it fairly flew!   

When were they available?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:40 pm »
At the risk of getting back to the core question.    I had an EI flat slide Carby on a cr kitted Honda mt250 in ( I think) about 1981.  It certainly was no later than 1982.   On a dirt track it fairly flew!   

When were they available?
I had an EI Blue Magnum on a YZ400 in 79 when they first came out..