Author Topic: Rider etiquette at Vinduros.  (Read 29906 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Rider etiquette at Vinduros.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 07:05:29 pm »
I didn't want this to be one-sided. Obviously there are some people out there who are intimidated by faster riders - it would be good to hear the other side of the story.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »
as a rider who passes and is passed I feel its always an issue when u come upon aslower rider in the tight stuff and it always seems your riding mate just gets by before the scrub tightens up. I feel I have no choice than to wait till the china boat notices and either pulls over or the terrain opens up.

unfortunately, some times you arrive upon a slower rider with significantly more pace and you take a quick dive pass only to find that the track turns, a stump etc shows up and an infringement on the other riders space occurs. in a race its tough t's but in a vinnie, its apologies all round.

i'll always get out the way of a quicker rider and then try as best I can to hang on...trying to outride a quicker rider is inexcusable (your allowed for a couple of hundred metres ::))

but there is always someone who feels infringed by a blast pass and tries to make a fuss....that why Ego is not a dirty word.....

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 07:26:21 pm »
I didn't want this to be one-sided. Obviously there are some people out there who are intimidated by faster riders - it would be good to hear the other side of the story.

It's bloody annoying to come up to someone who is riding a lot slower than you are, only for them to persist in trying to stay in front of you no matter what line they have to take. Even more so in competitive events. If you leave the time keeper at 20, 30, 40 second intervals and you get caught, surely that has to mean you are riding slower than the person behind you?

Thing is, I don't think the slower guys and gals realise that when you're on the gas and you have to slow dramatically, it puts you out of your rhythm and you start to hit every obstacle hard, rather than floating or jumping over it like you did before you had to slow for 10 minutes because there is nowhere to pass safely at speed.

Crikey, it can't be that hard to move over and let a faster rider pass
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »
 ::) sometimes to get past "anyone" you just need to make a course adjustment. "Simple" no one get's antsipancy about getting showered in shit and as a result all bitter and twisted etc.

God forbid that you make any dust as you zip by.

I hear for release at Xmas " perfect timing " there is a new Welsh publication called "Course Cutting" for the beginner to intermediate rider with a 5.00 buck upgrade for the additional section for discerning expert who has been away from the riding scene for sometime..  8)

I beleive . "No i know"  , the writer is a master at the art of course cutting and i ride with many riders , some reputed to be his best students  that have graduated with honours from  his master classes course and as of a few weeks ago i witnessed there skills .

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:09:14 pm by HVA61 »
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 08:10:38 pm »

Slower riders enter and ride at the pace they feel safe at its not a race I pull over for quicker riders when its safe for me and them
      I also put a leg out to let them know  on which is  safer for them to pass  ..

TMB lighten up a bit that way we can all enjoy it Your comment is the reason I will not ride certain Vinduro's even thou I wold like
       to

The Stig

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 08:25:42 pm »
::) sometimes to get past "anyone" you just need to make a course adjustment. "Simple" no one get's antsipancy about getting showered in shit and as a result all bitter and twisted etc.

God forbid that you make any dust as you zip by.

I hear for release at Xmas " perfect timing " there is a new Welsh publication called "Course Cutting" for the beginner to intermediate rider with a 5.00 buck upgrade for the additional section for discerning expert who has been away from the riding scene for sometime..  8)

I beleive . "No i know"  , the writer is a master at the art of course cutting and i ride with many riders , some reputed to be his best students  that have graduated with honours from  his master classes course and as of a few weeks ago i witnessed there skills .

I've heard that the chapter on 'Acute & Reflex Angle of Attack and Coefficent of Restitution Outcomes or T-Boning your Mates' is a must read for any Vinduro pilot!

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 08:41:52 pm »
The trouble is some people take quite a while to notice a bike behind them (hearing is not the best when you get older) and once they do notice it can take a while to find a safe place to move over if it is single track in the bush. Best to give then a friendly wave when they do move across and they will be more inclined to do the same in future. Shouting out in anger will just posts them off and give the more reason to stay in the way next time. If it is a competitve race then it's no holds barred!
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:34 pm »
(Just)Guys its a Vinduro. There is no sheep station at the end, just all the way through. I agree with Geoff that its about ettiket so we need to respect our fellow riders whatever their foibles. I think we should promote a "Love thy (Husky) rider" slogan to increase our awareness. Ive been fast slow stupid and smart (maybe). I think we should all try to be smarter. Cheers (Bill)

Offline Chilly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 08:57:30 pm »
The answer to all this is simple, a bit of courtesy from both fast and slow riders, if your a grumpy dude who is going to get upset if your held up on your hot lap stay at home as these events are meant to be fun for everyone.

On the subject of grumpy the best way to kill enthusiasm for vinduro is negative crap on forums. If someone thinking of getting involved read this I would not be surprised if they gave it a miss. I know a lot of the comments are personal jokes between mates but it does not read well.

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 08:59:02 pm »
Bill its hard to get past you when your lying down on the track blocking it!!

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 09:18:01 pm »
The answer to all this is simple, a bit of courtesy from both fast and slow riders, if your a grumpy dude who is going to get upset if your held up on your hot lap stay at home as these events are meant to be fun for everyone.

On the subject of grumpy the best way to kill enthusiasm for vinduro is negative crap on forums. If someone thinking of getting involved read this I would not be surprised if they gave it a miss. I know a lot of the comments are personal jokes between mates but it does not read well.

What's fun for you may not be fun for me Chilly? Does grumpy come into the equation? Really?
As for jokes with your mates on a forum......

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 09:23:14 pm »
In Motocross if I am in front of someone - yes has been a while - and they want to pass me it is up to them.  I don't change lines, I don't pull over I keep doing what I was before they turned up - if they are good enough they can get past.  Similarly if I come up upon someone slower - yes even longer ago  ;D - the responsibility to safely pass is up to me - even more so in Enduro/Vinduro where sheep stations are not at risk and there is a lot more time than afforded in a 3 lap race.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Chilly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »

What's fun for you may not be fun for me Chilly? Does grumpy come into the equation? Really?

Grumpy sure does come into it, I have been told off severely for holding up a gun rider and been yelled at for overtaking too close. I just want vinduro to be a huge success, sorry if My comment upset anyone. I'll keep my mouth shut from now on and just enjoy the riding. 
As for jokes with your mates on a forum......

Offline ty4

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:56 pm »
would this be the " style" your refering to HVA61  :D :D

Offline cr750

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 10:06:04 pm »
I usually ride as part of a three person team, and I'm usually tail end charlie, tootling along enjoying the scenery. Often times I don't hear those coming up behind. I hope you don't see that as malicious. In those events where I come up behind others, I wait for reasonable opportunity to pass.
I believe you shouldn't assume malice where stupidity could explain an action.
I've been in both situations, (fast and slow) and really enjoy the vinduro scene because it's not a competition. I'm having a ball!