Author Topic: Rider etiquette at Vinduros.  (Read 29887 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Rider etiquette at Vinduros.
« on: December 01, 2014, 01:57:08 pm »
Been chewing on this for a while...

Is there a problem? Is it big enough to do something about?

Personally, from what I've seen, virtually all of the faster riders will happily sit back at least until the slower rider has a chance to let them past. Usually there will be a call of "thanks" when the faster rider goes past.
The flip side is that sometimes much slower riders want to race - they speed up and get loose and are still in the way (and yes, I now realise that I've been that guy at times in the past  :-[ ).

What's the other side of the story? Is there really a problem that I haven't seen?

I heard of a complaint at a recent event where a rider apparently went off the track to pass a slower rider, and the slower rider complained to an official about it?!

Educate me.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rider etiquette at Vinduros.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 02:06:08 pm »
As far as fast guys upsetting slow guys and vice versa I'm sure it could be sorted out with your fists. Leave the organisers to organise and the men will deal with that stuff accordingly.There are very few rules and we don't want any more.

As long as you are under .05 Sunday arvo for the drive home all is good ;D

81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 02:10:06 pm »
Without the slow guys the fast guys would just be guys ;D

'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 02:16:35 pm »
It's not about rules Ted, it's about etiquette.

As well as riders being fast or slow there is also the level of experience of riding with others.
Most faster guys usually have a bit of patience and wait there chance to pass, some will get carried away trying to catch there mate.

I would also recommend slower riders not getting too self-conscious about pulling over to let guys past in the tight sections as I have seen a few end up stuck in ditches from pulling over at the wrong moment.

I heard of a complaint at a recent event where a rider apparently went off the track to pass a slower rider, and the slower rider complained to an official about it?!

Sounds like someone thought they were quicker than what they really were, officials should have dismissed it, it's not a race so you should be able to do what is necessary to pass some one cleanly.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 03:21:10 pm »

Well said!

In my experience as the slow guy most riders will be OK if they know that you know they are there and are making an effort the clear the trail. If however said 'gun' rider is trying to make my life miserable when theres obviously nowhere to stop I'll do my best to roost 'em at any opportunity! Don't have to be fast to hurl rocks.......
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 03:23:40 pm »
Once a rider said to me , when a faster rider comes along you are meant to move over. As I explained to him at the time when one comes along I will.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »
In the past if someone is obviously quicker that me I move over ASAP and expect the same from others .
As Nathan says its annoying if slower riders want to race you but I find a Banzai pass usually sorts that out and if they don't like that when we get back to the pits then Teds method works  ;D

Im talking Enduros and in test , I don't know about Vinduros ? they are non competitive I believe ? so I suppose a gentler approach could be used.
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 03:35:53 pm »

For sure and unless your Toby price or Shane watts then there will generally always be someone faster, but its the slower rider who when come upon by a faster rider then wants to be a hero and race or wont move over that is the problem .

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 04:43:08 pm »
Hmmmm....

Being a 'fast guy' is a relative term, in some riding groups you will be fast and in others you will be slow. That's something we all need to accept unless you are one of those gifted / talented bastards that are always fast and have the house full of trophies to prove it (maybe overflow of them in the shed as well).

In all situations, if someone catches up to me, I let them through, as quickly as possible, I'll also give them a sign like a leg out to show the side to pass etc. I don't care if I’m in a special test or not, if someone catches you that means they are riding faster than you. Simple, don't penalise someone else (unless I happen to be riding with them, in a group, then I'll make'em work for it)

As you say Nathan, some do want to play when you catch them and to me that means do whatever it takes to pass, just stopping short of punting them into the bushes. There are those amongst us as in the wider community, that are blissfully unaware of their actions and impacts on others, this group you need to let them know you are behind them, it usually takes a bit of reving and shouting, then they snap back to reality and move aside. Unfortunately there is another group where they appear to not give a toss about riders behind them and carry on riding at wobbler (relative term remember) pace and not want to let you pass, these guys get the 'special' moves from me and are the only group that do not receive a thank you shout.

I attended a recent Vinduro where the 'no rules' motto led to at least 15-20 minutes of rules and notifications! Specific instruction was given on both how to and not to pass a fellow vinduro rider. Curiously, it appeared that the slower rider had right of way? Perhaps I misinterpreted these instructions, but I very much doubt it. (And before the mob starts - yes I will vote with my feet, don't come, start my own club, take my bat and ball, etc etc)

Safety was the catch cry I heard a lot. Yet no one checked to see if my 19whatthef%ckever bucket of bolts had brakes, had a throttle that returned to its off position, any spokes left that weren't loose or foot pegs that would return via spring action rather than 12" shifter.

Rider etiquette is simple - If someone catches you, get out of the way - quickly. No matter what form of riding :), unless you can handle the impending overtake manoeuvre.

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 04:54:31 pm »
Hmmmm....

Being a 'fast guy' is a relative term, in some riding groups you will be fast and in others you will be slow. That's something we all need to accept unless you are one of those gifted / talented bastards that are always fast and have the house full of trophies to prove it (maybe overflow of them in the shed as well).

In all situations, if someone catches up to me, I let them through, as quickly as possible, I'll also give them a sign like a leg out to show the side to pass etc. I don't care if I’m in a special test or not, if someone catches you that means they are riding faster than you. Simple, don't penalise someone else (unless I happen to be riding with them, in a group, then I'll make'em work for it)

As you say Nathan, some do want to play when you catch them and to me that means do whatever it takes to pass, just stopping short of punting them into the bushes. There are those amongst us as in the wider community, that are blissfully unaware of their actions and impacts on others, this group you need to let them know you are behind them, it usually takes a bit of reving and shouting, then they snap back to reality and move aside. Unfortunately there is another group where they appear to not give a toss about riders behind them and carry on riding at wobbler (relative term remember) pace and not want to let you pass, these guys get the 'special' moves from me and are the only group that do not receive a thank you shout.

I attended a recent Vinduro where the 'no rules' motto led to at least 15-20 minutes of rules and notifications! Specific instruction was given on both how to and not to pass a fellow vinduro rider. Curiously, it appeared that the slower rider had right of way? Perhaps I misinterpreted these instructions, but I very much doubt it. (And before the mob starts - yes I will vote with my feet, don't come, start my own club, take my bat and ball, etc etc)

Safety was the catch cry I heard a lot. Yet no one checked to see if my 19whatthef%ckever bucket of bolts had brakes, had a throttle that returned to its off position, any spokes left that weren't loose or foot pegs that would return via spring action rather than 12" shifter.

Rider etiquette is simple - If someone catches you, get out of the way - quickly. No matter what form of riding :), unless you can handle the impending overtake manoeuvre.

Agree 100%

I particularly like this bit  ;D

I attended a recent Vinduro where the 'no rules' motto led to at least 15-20 minutes of rules and notifications!

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »
Hmmmm....

Bulls#!T XC83  DONT SEE YOU PULLING OVER WHEN YOUR WOBBLING YOUR WAY ROUND THE  COURSE!!!

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 05:36:51 pm »

Bulls#!T XC83  DONT SEE YOU PULLING OVER WHEN YOUR WOBBLING YOUR WAY ROUND THE  COURSE!!!
[/quote]

I'm surprised you can see anything back that far Odd1!

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »
Its hard to know which side to pass you with arms and legs flapping around every where!!!

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 06:05:13 pm »
Hmmmm....

Being "fast" is indeed a "relative" term. We all ride at our own pace and it just so happens that some are faster than others. Whether in a competitive Enduro or just out having fun at a Vinduro.....if someone faster than you comes along....move out of the way so everyone can enjoy the ride at a speed that they enjoy..... Otherwise, things to turn to crap all too often :)
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline hoppy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 06:27:35 pm »

Being "fast" is indeed a "relative" term. We all ride at our own pace and it just so happens that some are faster than others. Whether in a competitive Enduro or just out having fun at a Vinduro.....if someone faster than you comes along....move out of the way so everyone can enjoy the ride at a speed that they enjoy..... Otherwise, things to turn to crap all too often :)

Agree, everybody is there to enjoy themselves in this instance is a non competitive event.
Someone comes up move to the side as soon as is safe and let them pee off into the distance and get back to enjoying myself.. :)