Author Topic: Rider etiquette at Vinduros.  (Read 29892 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rider etiquette at Vinduros.
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 06:09:55 pm »
Geoff - I do not want to have to stop!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2014, 08:55:39 pm »
Thats Geoff for ya - he'll 'bye' a lap so's he can get a medal without the effort! He always says you are better off spending your money on the things you can't do well so you can concentrate on the things you can do well yourself  ::)
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2014, 09:21:35 pm »
Geoff on the "BMW" is like the fly, it sees everything in slow mo.....

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2014, 09:22:08 pm »
I'm pretty sure I've never passed anyone. J

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 09:39:26 pm »
I consider myself ok, not fast, not slow. If I can pull over safely for a faster rider , I will. If I can't do it safely I'll hold my line & speed, the fast guy will have generally gotten past by then anyway. The minute someone starts screaming & yelling at me to move over, there's no way known that's happening. The screaming & yelling guy is obviously super fast in his mind & going for the trophy, as such he should be able to get past in a flash anyway.
K

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 10:23:06 pm »
I think I passed someone whos motor was still running but it was that long ago now I cant remember what it was like.

Plenty pass me and its simple to get out of their way, maybe its a bit awkward some parts on the first or second lap but once you start to know the course its pretty easy to get out of the way.

I don’t hear faster bikes come up behind sometimes, a squirt on the throttle is whats needed.

Whats Vinduro about? We are getting more new guys coming along to Vinduro, faster riders need to get used to the mix. The guys turning up are not all A graders. They don’t hold MA race licences. Some might not have been too bad 20 or 30 years ago, or maybe always wanted to do this sort of thing back in the day or for whatever. They are there because they love those old enduro bikes and not just for show but to get out and use them.

If anyone wants to put on a proper Vintage Enduro Competitive Event that caters for "fast riders" then would there be enough entrants to make it viable? or maybe it would attract someone faster.

No matter the level we need everyone fast or slow because if not for the slower 50% of riders paying their entry, there would be no event.

Simo63

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2014, 12:16:49 am »
In my experience as the slow guy most riders will be OK if they know that you know they are there and are making an effort the clear the trail. If however said 'gun' rider is trying to make my life miserable when theres obviously nowhere to stop I'll do my best to roost 'em at any opportunity! Don't have to be fast to hurl rocks.......

Lol .. not so sure that's a good strategy Canam :)  I think anyone that does that will end up getting what they deserve with that approach mate :)  I suspect the next time the same rider approaches you he'll be thinking "I'm passing this roost-hurling b@#$ as fast as I can" and will then promptly carve you up and blow you off the track. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:16:09 am by Simo63 »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2014, 07:41:22 am »
I think I passed someone whos motor was still running but it was that long ago now I cant remember what it was like.

Plenty pass me and its simple to get out of their way, maybe its a bit awkward some parts on the first or second lap but once you start to know the course its pretty easy to get out of the way.

I don’t hear faster bikes come up behind sometimes, a squirt on the throttle is whats needed.

Whats Vinduro about? We are getting more new guys coming along to Vinduro, faster riders need to get used to the mix. The guys turning up are not all A graders. They don’t hold MA race licences. Some might not have been too bad 20 or 30 years ago, or maybe always wanted to do this sort of thing back in the day or for whatever. They are there because they love those old enduro bikes and not just for show but to get out and use them.

If anyone wants to put on a proper Vintage Enduro Competitive Event that caters for "fast riders" then would there be enough entrants to make it viable? or maybe it would attract someone faster.

No matter the level we need everyone fast or slow because if not for the slower 50% of riders paying their entry, there would be no event.

I totally agree, and its good to see someone considering it from the slower rider's point of view.

My question is: Are the slower riders being intimidated by the faster riders?

I had expected a few people to have a horror story about an old wobbler getting shunted, but nobody seems to have one yet?!
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2014, 08:49:35 am »
My question is: Are the slower riders being intimidated by the faster riders?

I had expected a few people to have a horror story about an old wobbler getting shunted, but nobody seems to have one yet?!

Really? I think this would be pretty rare. Personally I think this whole "issue" is a storm in a teacup...

Tex

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 09:02:26 am »
I'm hoping you're right.

Personally, I can think of three times I've seen agro riding at a Vinduro. One of them - in hindsight - was possibly caused by me not letting the rider past.
The other two were both by the same rider, at the same event.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2014, 09:39:32 am »
"If anyone wants to put on a proper Vintage Enduro Competitive Event that caters for "fast riders" then would there be enough entrants to make it viable? or maybe it would attract someone faster."

Mick from EBT is trying to put together a competitive vinduro series for 2015...more cross country..seems to have strong initial interest...fast guys can apply!

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2014, 11:26:50 am »
I'm hoping you're right.

Personally, I can think of three times I've seen agro riding at a Vinduro. One of them - in hindsight - was possibly caused by me not letting the rider past.
The other two were both by the same rider, at the same event.

So of all the Vinduro's you've ridden you've found 2 bad eggs...and one of them was you  ;D ;D ;). I think we have little to worry about. Have a great Xmas everyone  :)

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »

So of all the Vinduro's you've ridden you've found 2 bad eggs...and one of them was you  ;D ;D ;). I think we have little to worry about. Have a great Xmas everyone  :)

Cheers, Brendan

Well Zing! :)

Personally, I don't think there's a problem with rider etiquette at vinduros, but someone I respect has told me that there is one.
My intention with this thread was to go beyond my own experience, and hear from a variety of people.

To be entirely honest, I am surprised that the conversation has been so unanimous - although it does fit in with my own experiences and observations.

Simo63

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2014, 12:38:22 pm »
I've only participated in an couple of Vinduro event and only one of those was timed.

My experience is that they are bloody brilliant bang for your buck .. the best in the Vintage scene.  A more relaxed atmosphere than VMX and that's not saying VMX is bad, it's not, but just that the Vinduro scene is easier going in my humble opinion.

In those 2 rides, I've not had an issue with a) being passed, or b) passing someone else and to be honest, with the good comradery that I have been lucky enough to experience so far, I'm surprised it's an issue for anyone.  If I hear someone coming behind that is obviously faster then I will take all steps necessary to safely let them by.  Easy.  If I happen to be approaching someone else then I will take all steps necessary to safely get by.  Again, simple stuff :)

If a faster rider happens to short cut a corner to pass a slower rider then I would not have an issue with that because the alternative is likely to be a frustrated block pass where the faster rider jams it up the inside of the slower rider and that's not what we want is it?

Anyway I just wish we had more of them up this way.  Our VMX scene is strong and it would be great to have a Vinduro scene that equalled that.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2014, 01:20:28 pm »
In my experience as the slow guy most riders will be OK if they know that you know they are there and are making an effort the clear the trail. If however said 'gun' rider is trying to make my life miserable when theres obviously nowhere to stop I'll do my best to roost 'em at any opportunity! Don't have to be fast to hurl rocks.......

Lol .. not so sure that's a good strategy Canam :)  I think anyone that does that will end up getting what they deserve with that approach mate :)  I suspect the next time the same rider approaches you he'll be thinking "I'm passing this roost-hurling b@#$ as fast as I can" and will then promptly carve you up and blow you off the track.

Ahh Simo, you've missed the point! :D  Misery loves company!
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!