Author Topic: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto  (Read 41493 times)

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2014, 08:54:46 am »
Alex, quite possible the early release models didn't have the tensioner. Mine and all the others I saw in the era at the tracks and showrooms came with one fitted hence the question ;) They were little rocketships in the day 8)

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2014, 10:01:19 am »
nice job on the baby RM.

As for the tensioners,Suzuki had a habit of releasing promotional material showing machines not quite the same as we scored in the showroom. Usually the brochures show the first release US versions and a month after release the bikes and advertising  changed to what was actually available to us. I cant remember which but i think it was an RM80 model that had totally different side covers off perhaps a JR ? Doc may remember the incident.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2014, 10:18:04 am »
Excellent workmanship Alex. With attention to detail like that on the little Suz, you could get a job at Rolls Royce......
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2014, 10:54:32 am »
nice job on the baby RM.

As for the tensioners,Suzuki had a habit of releasing promotional material showing machines not quite the same as we scored in the showroom. Usually the brochures show the first release US versions and a month after release the bikes and advertising  changed to what was actually available to us. I cant remember which but i think it was an RM80 model that had totally different side covers off perhaps a JR ? Doc may remember the incident.
I have put a copy of the brochure on the first page of this thread Pokey.  Lots of JR type parts on it for the promo shots.  I have the ADB shoot out from 77 with the B, YZ80D and XR75.. pic below with the "boys" on the bikes... no tensioner on the B.  However, i may just start piecing one together just to make the old girl more complete.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline Ando

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2014, 11:44:58 am »
What a fantastic resto on an original "little gem"! You also have done it in good time, well done Alex! I will be watching out for the progess on the 125K.

Cheers
Ando

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2014, 01:06:59 pm »
That's a fantastic job, congratulations on a top quality resto. Hopefully get mine together soon also.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2014, 04:27:17 pm »
What a fantastic resto on an original "little gem"! You also have done it in good time, well done Alex! I will be watching out for the progess on the 125K.

Cheers
Ando

Thanks fellas for the positive input.  Ando, the 125 is coming along.  I have just purchased another cylinder, head and powervalve which is in the US and being sent freepost to Eric Gorr at Forward Motion.  He is going to do a resleeve back to original spec, port job to Yamaha race report, match the head and powervalve, supply Wossner piston kit and bead blast all parts.  I'm also a whisker away from getting another set of cases as the main bearings fall in and out of the set i have. 

Also look out for the RM80N i have nearly finished which is in the Suzuki section.  My boy cant wipe the smile from his face.  He will be riding this one soon.  I got him a vintage Suzuki jersey for Christmas to go with it.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline Ando

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2014, 08:19:12 pm »
Cool  8) how did you get all of that free post Alex?

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2014, 08:36:13 pm »
A lot of stuff is listed as free shipping on Ebay within America.  So i purchased the parts within the US and they post them for free to anywhere else in the US, which in my case is the Forward Motion workshop where Eric Gorr does all the work to the cylinders and parts.  I then have two choices when the parts are ready.  Get Forward Motion to ship them to my US address (i use Comgateway) at a nominal fee and wait until i have a pile of parts and get them all sent at a discount together, or pay a lot of money to get the guys to ship them directly :-(
Cheers,
Alex

Offline Ando

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2014, 06:49:05 am »
Ok with it now  ;)

Offline malcolm1

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2015, 03:10:33 pm »
Hi where would be the best place to sell my RM80B and new parts (have a box of new OEM Suzuki parts incl brand new unused cylinder, front and rear guards, sidecovers, footpegs etc - I assume eBay?

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2015, 05:45:02 pm »
I would of loved those bits six months ago but i am very happy with mine.  I would say there are a few guys on here with B type projects, you could advertize them in the for sale section on here..  The OEM stuff gets a good price.  Ebay, especially the US site and with the dollar, i suspect would get you a good price for parts.

Offline micko

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »
I had one back in 77, a free bike  :) sponsored by McCulloch Suzuki in Perth. I believe it was the first one in Australia as Mortlocks were the state distributer and somehow got them before the rest of oz. Revs magazine did a test/feature on it with Kevin White riding it.
Wish I still had it, it sounded so good and was fast.
RM370A RM250A RM125A RM125S YZ250A YZ125C XR75K4

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2015, 07:41:41 pm »
Good story Micko.  That stinger sounds great and a light switch powerband.  You must of been quick in the day to get a freebie.  Leisky would of been around then too, as i saw him on a C the next year and he was phenomenal.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline micko

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2015, 08:16:56 pm »
Haha, not that quick just consistent. Finished 3rd in the state Titles that year on it,I was 13.Kevin White was given the bike  by McCulloch Suzuki when it arrived and did the magazine test etc,unfortunately he (Great for me) had a growth spurt and must of been of age to ride RLH so moved up. They recommended me to Dave McCulloch so I was lucky enough to get the ride. That was when our home club was at Kurnell Rd in Kewdale. Jeff was a year younger so only really raced with him on Open days, he had a super fast XR75 that year. The next year they introduced the 100cc class and the RM100C came out so I moved up to that class in 78. They were the days !
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:18:30 pm by micko »
RM370A RM250A RM125A RM125S YZ250A YZ125C XR75K4