Author Topic: Hopetoun GP vinduro, June 1  (Read 18711 times)

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Hopetoun GP vinduro, June 1
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2014, 09:59:44 pm »
Well, home safe'n'sound and trying to get sand out of places it should never be. What a hoot of a ride/weekend! Big thanks to Beak and his crew for their efforts marking out a course which was both challenging and also challenging (yes, that's how I meant to say it!) and also to the various helpers, sweeps and the landowners - also not forgetting the riders, none of whom have any skirts in THEIR closets!

Maybe we'll get a ride report up soon. Visit the VERi site to view some pics. Hopefully more shots from out on the course will be posted soon.

VERi good fun - just for you!
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2014, 11:47:09 am »
From the reports so far it appears Hopetoun was a huge success, I have a chamber repair coming in soon ;D

My only regrets were not being there out on the course...

... I could have sold fuel for 20 bucks a litre, main jets for 40 bucks each, given lessons on how to mix fuel and sold huge stocks of Maico pistons ;D :D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »
what a blast!!!, chamber replacement Geoff, I think its beyond repair, it looks like those ballons the clowns twist to make sausauge dogs at kids parties... ill whip a report myself after I view the go pro

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2014, 01:41:33 pm »
My only regrets were not being there out on the course...
... I could have sold fuel for 20 bucks a litre, main jets for 40 bucks each, given lessons on how to mix fuel and sold huge stocks of Maico pistons

Watch out for the GMC van, coming to an event near you!

I think its beyond repair, it looks like those balloons the clowns twist to make sausage dogs at kids parties.

That is one of the funniest descriptions I've ever read!

Tex

Offline Luffy

• C-Grade
  • Next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 05:16:57 pm »
Yes great event well done to those people who made a real good loop in the sand, still cleaning out of every oriface known?
Had to have day off to recover as shoulders killing me, but had a blast and only fell off twice which must be a record for me as I enjoy picking up 160 kgs and kicking over till left leg looses feeling.
Well done all
Luffy.

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2014, 03:37:58 pm »
HOPETOUN GP
Can anyone post some desert photographs please ... so we can see how it all looked out there?
Cheers

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2014, 04:34:50 pm »
HOPETOUN GP
Can anyone post some desert photographs please ... so we can see how it all looked out there?
Cheers

Don't be pushy, it goes against the 'grain'. We're still 'sifting' through the shots. It'll be 'dune' soon. :)

Offline redrider1

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2014, 03:29:40 pm »
The Hopetoun GP was a fantastic ride. A huge thanks goes out to the land owners and towns people of Hopetoun and district for the opportunity to ride through this great part of the state and to experience some fantastic desert riding.The guys who came up with the concept and got the township of Hopetoun behind it did a great job. The course marking, marshalling, refuelling and scrutineering all went off without any concerns and with a relaxed attitude. The rain showers Saturday night caused a few initial concerns due to the clay pans around the course but not enough fell to cause any concern, only enough to keep the dust down.

After transporting out to the refuelling area the main loop had everything from heavy sand dunes, 2nd gear single track through the scrub, 4th and 5th gear four wheel drive sandy tracks and ridge lines through to top gear cruising transport sections. Nothing on the course was unrideable but some sections challenged the rider and their bikes. It didn`t matter if you rode 1 lap of the main loop or rode 4 laps it was a great day. After the ride there were a few comments heard that related to why people like riding big bore bikes up in the desert area. Doesn`t matter what you ride it`s all good fun. Congratulations to all involved it was  successful weekend, can`t wait for the next one.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:31:54 pm by redrider1 »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2014, 03:40:43 pm »
imagine a classic "Laurance of Arabia" scene....it was nothing like that! ive got some go pro but its boring as I didn't see anyone....

when I passed luffy and his mate the camera had stopped :( it also stopped before the highlight of the ride and that was the "Wall of Death" (the Wimmera mallee channel -decommissioned). What a blast that was, I tried to hit the tight bend flat in 4th but it shot me out the top and into the paddock.... woo hoo..

the track after the first road crossing was called "conrod straight", on the first 2 laps I didn't notice the bump at the top of the crest but on the last two we got air....

the big sand dune after the 2nd road crossing was great... I saw the press crew all lined up and gave it the berries, pulled a ripper roosting turn in front of them...must of looked sensational...nearly as good as when the bike then kept turning left and I shot off the track into the grass and down the side of the dune.... that must have of looked hilarious :o

congrats to the team on assembling a great mix of desert stuff, a great ride... I rekon it will be a must do for next year, just luv going fast....

I learnt you don't need to upjet water cooled 2/'s and lifting the needle turned it into a 125 which was great in the deep sand...not!

husky's go well in the sand, sit back, twist on some "go" and let it find its own way to the next corner...(that's when the fight starts!)

I found a new tube in the middle of the track on the last lap so I stopped and went back for it (I need one )... I finally got back to the start (after a 30 k detour) and Drakie fronts me straight up, "great, you found my tube" and knocked it straight off... My tube my ....

the trouble with a big day in the saddle you cant think quick enough!! someone always takes advantage.... :D

if I can get organised, I will whip some go pro onto utube

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2014, 10:31:55 am »
HOPETOUN GP
Cheers

Here you go B.B.  Head off to the VERi site and check the link in 'Breaking news' and delight in the memorialised sandy mayhem...............

Offline Gday

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2014, 10:37:54 pm »
Here is a bit of helmet cam footage that my son put together
http://youtu.be/AkejE2M_5CY

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2014, 07:55:34 am »
excellent stuff.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2014, 10:19:01 am »
Looking at Rachelle's photos, specifically the XR crash sequence:
If the rider (Mark W?) was hamming it up, then well done.
If the rider wasn't hamming it up, and genuinely crashed like than, then I am highly impressed.

:)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2014, 12:54:06 pm »
Looking at Rachelle's photos, specifically the XR crash sequence:
If the rider (Mark W?) was hamming it up, then well done.
If the rider wasn't hamming it up, and genuinely crashed like than, then I am highly impressed.

:)

No acting for Mark Nathan! He's an action hero - rides fast, crashes hard! No damage apart from his pride. As far as 'hamming it up', are you suggesting that the XR500 is a big pig? ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2014, 01:22:15 pm »
You know, there are countries where puns like your's are punishable by public stoning.
I think Australia should be one of those countries.

;D

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.