Author Topic: Vintage Nats - standard of racing and dealing with different levels of talent  (Read 28389 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
commentator - thankless job - so well done Popeye - and I wouldn't expect you to know everything there is about everybody which of course will appear to give a biased effort - geeeez
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
You did a great job commentating Popeye.

You can only work with the information you are given.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline lama

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
We managed to get around the track and we had two people on our bikes ( we did break a frame though ) but we do it for fun and fun we had ( Popeye you could of talked me up abit more mate  ;D ;D

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
Both fast and slow riders have a responsibility in this.
"Fast Guy" - allow much more clearance than you would passing someone around your speed.
"Not So Fast Guy" - do not try to get out of the way.  You will crash or collide. Maintain your line.  If you are taking the racing line, but more slowly, the guy behind WILL get past you safely because he can see where you are going.
Blue flags are very useful if the user is a trained & experienced flagman, but if not, and knows who is leading who, he's not watching his sector properly.

Offline Starion VR4

• Novice
    • View Profile
Popeye mate you did a fantastic job! A job you were asked to do at the last minute. As said previously you only gave a running

commentary on the people you knew, it's a shame NO ONE from the NSW crew was able/wanted to assist you. I am perplexed/appalled at the commits on the forum about the PCN.

1) There hasn't been a PCN for 2 years due to other clubs not  being able to run it... mostly due to financial constraints.

2) Toowoomba Preped the track for QVMX, Twba race modern machinery & weren't real familiar with what our bikes needed, I think they did a excellent job on the track, if you didn't like it then stick your hand up next time & assist!   

3) There is no solution to the FAST/SLOWER debate. It's part of racing. Deal with it & Get over it.

4) The amount of planning & time the committee invested in PCN was to be honest commendable, remember they do this for FREE & give up their own time & life so YOU can race! Stop being so self centered & give them a hand, even something as small as packing up a quick shade can help. I remember seeing a bloke on the quad removing ALL the signs from the track & the fences... not one person offered to help.

5) If we continue to bag the people who run these events they will get the shits & say stuff it do it your self.... then where will we be?

6) It amazes me as to how some people know EVERYTING & how it should be done... yet never put their hand up & take a position on the committee or help.

7) Lastly the NSW Rider #32 Mark Harris, is anyone in contact with him?  I would like to know how he is..... & to hear his commits on the PCN & maybe the incident? If some one has his email could they PM the details.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Mark Harris is ok, he had an op on his ankle and a couple of screws inserted.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Did you race, Mr Starion?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Starion VR4

• Novice
    • View Profile
Did you race, Mr Starion?

I most certainly did.

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Both fast and slow riders have a responsibility in this.
"Fast Guy" - allow much more clearance than you would passing someone around your speed.
"Not So Fast Guy" - do not try to get out of the way.  You will crash or collide. Maintain your line.  If you are taking the racing line, but more slowly, the guy behind WILL get past you safely because he can see where you are going.
Blue flags are very useful if the user is a trained & experienced flagman, but if not, and knows who is leading who, he's not watching his sector properly.

I agree the faster rider coming from behind should be able to Work out what the Safest passing part of the track is to take..
    the slower rider is too busy trying to go faster :o :o

The Stig

Offline Starion VR4

• Novice
    • View Profile
Mark Harris is ok, he had an op on his ankle and a couple of screws inserted.

Thank you for the update JohnnyO... I am sure we are all concerned as to how he is doing & wish him a speedy recovery!

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Well said Starion. Helping YOUR club is a thankless task and to get bagged for doing so only makes it harder. If it wasn't for the volunteers in our sport (and many other sports) we wouldn't be riding.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
Go Popeye ;)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
I think this thread has reached its use by date. It was to discuss what I saw as a legitimate issue - how to deal with a wide disparity in skills and talent at the titles. However it seems to have tailed off into yet more discussion around the event itself and I think that's counter-productive to the topic at hand.

I have now closed this thread and locked it.