Author Topic: Swingarm bolt seized in engine cases  (Read 10289 times)

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
Swingarm bolt seized in engine cases
« on: March 02, 2014, 12:12:02 pm »

Hi,

I've established that this bolt is stuck in the cases, l started trying to get CRC in there and I've hit the hollow bolt hard enough to mushroom the thread end. I've lent on the bolt head end but not used a significant lever in case l damage it or twist it off and make things worse.

There is very little space between the swingarm and the case (taken up by a seal) to try and cut the bolt but access is difficult anyway.

Idea's ?

Geoff

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Swingarm bolt seized in engine cases
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 12:50:19 pm »
Heat, bucket loads of CRC and a press. No amount of hitting it will loosen it. Strip it to a frame, engine and swing arm and find someone with press and you'll be good.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »

Thanks,

I've stript down the frame and l can get an angle grinder in there to cut the bolt but I've always wanted to buy a small press   ;D

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 01:52:08 pm »
Buy a big press instead!   ;D

cheers,
Michael

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:15 pm »
coca cola sprayed on will work better than CRC if it's seized solid due to rust  ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:08:54 pm by oldfart »

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 04:05:13 pm »
if the bolt is hollow cut a thread inside and use slide hammer to pull the bolt out also you can set the frame and swing arm on a drill press and drill it out.
when you start bashing it with hammer the bolt will only get thicker and tighter in the hole.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:44:03 pm »

I've been able to get the bolt to turn enough to say its jammed in with corrosion and not fully seized any more.

if the bolt is hollow cut a thread inside and use slide hammer to pull the bolt out also you can set the frame and swing arm on a drill press and drill it out.
when you start bashing it with hammer the bolt will only get thicker and tighter in the hole.

l need to cut off about 5 mm of the expanded end of the bolt before l push it through with a press. Its not going to tap through with a hammer.

Thanks

Geoff

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 05:23:13 pm »

Hey Geoff, OLD FART is right, coke does work and Subaru Upper engine cleaner works even better!  I had a seized one, SOLID in the case, laid on its side and kept squirting upper engine cleaner for a week, in the end didn't even damage the shaft!  Like yours I could get it to turn but no way could I move it towards OUT. Give it a go and soak, at very least will make pressing easier and less damage to the shaft...try and buy that!   Upper engine clean is about $18 odd dollars a can, smells a bit like caustic but is not, even works great on seized nuts/bolts and is great for soaking and cleaning carbs, engine blocks, you name it.

Kt,

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 05:29:24 pm »
i got a xt500 swinger bolt out by soaking it with wd40 for 2 months before I tried to get it out. when I did try I used a impact socket on the bottom supported by hardwood timber on concrete and a big stepped pice of shaft I had with a 7 pound hammer, one mighty hit and it started moving and when I got it out you could see how the wd40 had penetrated the rust. good luck with getting it out!

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 05:34:45 pm »
Home made peno oil, 50:50 auto trans oil and acetone. If you decide to press it maybe use some timber blocks to reinforce the swing arm along with a mate to help.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 06:12:43 pm »
Guys when are you going to give up on your magic potions.
Use the product that makes life easy.

Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 06:47:31 pm »
Geoff,I've got a press if you need one.
                                           lewis

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 07:02:27 pm »

Slake well is right use Rost off first it just works

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 07:06:59 pm »
Tomas is right
Mig a nut to the bolt and pull it out
Not push it through
Added benefit of the Mig is the heat helps crack the tension,

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 07:52:00 pm »
coca cola sprayed on will work better than CRC if it's seized solid due to rust  ;)

Hey Geoff, OLD FART is right, coke does work and Subaru Upper engine cleaner works even better!  I had a seized one, SOLID in the case, laid on its side and kept squirting upper engine cleaner for a week, in the end didn't even damage the shaft!  Like yours I could get it to turn but no way could I move it towards OUT. Give it a go and soak, at very least will make pressing easier and less damage to the shaft...try and buy that!   Upper engine clean is about $18 odd dollars a can, smells a bit like caustic but is not, even works great on seized nuts/bolts and is great for soaking and cleaning carbs, engine blocks, you name it.

Kt,

Neither of those liquids sound fit for human consumption  ;D

Slake well is right use Rost off first it just works

Geoff,I've got a press if you need one.
                                           lewis

Thanks Lewis, see you in a week :)