Author Topic: Do You Moto 100?  (Read 52299 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Moto 100?
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2008, 06:19:24 am »
I was quite shocked by that myself.  Here is a list of the eligible bikes in the AHRMA Vintage 100 class.  The list eliminates the sleeved down Elsinores, but leaves the TM100 and Yamaha MX100. 

By not giving out points towards a season championship or any trophies/awards at all, you could keep spending down. If anyone tries to run a heavily modded TM or MX they could be heckled or ridiculed/shunned out of the mix.
 ;)

11. I.4 100cc MOTOCROSS: 88-10 0cc two-stroke and 88-12 0cc four-stroke production motorcvcles
manufactured as up to 1974-model-vear machines, and like-design. All motorcvcles
in this class must have been manufactured 100cc or smaller-displacement bikes.

Eligible machines include:

Bridgestone
Bultaco Lobito or Sherpa S
DKW
Hodaka 90 or 100
Honda CT90 or CB/CUSL/XL100
Indian
Kawasaki 90 or 100
Moto Beta
Penton
Rickman-Hodaka
Sachs
Suzuki TC/TS 9O or TS/TM 100
Van Tech frames with any eligible engine
Yamaha YL1E, HT1 , LT2 or DTIMX 100
Zundapp

a.) Engine displacement can be increased to class limit, plus allowable overbore.
b.) Engines must have no more than five gearbox ratios.
c.) Electronic ignitions and reed-valves are allowed.
d.) Maximum carburetor size is 28mm.
e.) Aftermarket frames are limited to those listed. pending approval of the Rules &
    Eligibility Committee.
f.) Engine/frame combinations must be as manufactured: no mixing-and-matching of
    engines and chassis into "specials."
g.) Honda four-strokes are limited to the one-piece cylinder head. No major engine
    components from 125cc enuines are allowed.

lneligible 100cc Motocross machines are:
Any machine or major component manufactured as/for a 125cc motorcycle.
Six-speed gearboxes of any tvpe.
Rickman frames oriainally manufactured for Zundapp engines.
Monarch frames.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:25:39 am by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Quicksilver

« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2008, 07:14:32 am »
Just grab an old dunger, give it a service, whack in some new rings and go out and flog it. Thats my idea.  ;D Fun fun fun it whats its all about.

Doc

« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2008, 07:42:53 am »
i cant believe i am typing this  nearly all my bikes are 500cc Shocked

That's the whole idea Rusty, while we love the real deal and big bore opens and the full on MX bikes it's bloody nice to have the option of riding something very very sedate and simply going out and thrashing it within' an inch of it's life! :D it's fun, if you blow up the bike well big deal, it owes you next to nothing and you can simply get another ;D The ignition idea was to keep it all level.

I'd 'personally' change it a little to include other replacement ignitions as stated above but the rule about internal rotor ignition should remain. There is a huge gain to be had simply buy fitting 1 of the these ignitions.

You can go crazy with porting and engine mods, lightening this and that and modifying whatever else you like but remember 'in the spirit of the class' your bike has to run pump fuel with no octane boosters or additives (except 2 smoke oil) and it must be era!

Hybrids should be allowed if they conform to 'pre'75. Nothing wrong with an MX100 in a DT frame or  TS100 motor in a TS90 or an SL125 in an SL100. It makes things a little easier to piece together is all and there really is no gain with such swaps.

Keeping the bikes stock as DJ says is a fine idea. Exhaust, mudguard and tyre swaps allowed but no other mods except the removal of lights etc. There will always be people who wish to win at all costs and sneakily slip in some extra performance from somewhere but eh, it's definately not right and eventually you'll be caught out and judged by your peers as a cheat, ya don't want that do you!  ;) 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 07:45:50 am by Doc »

TM BILL

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2008, 08:17:09 am »
The TS 90 MX runs internal rotor ignition standard , so i take it its not elidgible  :-\ or can i run it if i bolt on an external mag ignition  ;)
Tahitian red is right  :) anyone pushing the boundries should be shamed into giving up , keep it simple with minimal rules and let those invoved in the class police it  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:22:47 am by TM BILL »

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2008, 09:26:16 am »
i like the guidelines Tahitian's mentioned and think it makes a good startpoint.
no points toward any championship is cool...
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2008, 09:27:46 am »
As much as it'd be nice to keep it all clean and neat by insisting the bikes remain stock standard, we all know that in the real world it won't work. It's been proven over and over in every low budget class, in all forms of motorsport, that people will always push the envelope. I like the AHRMA simplicity and feel that we could adapt their rules to suit our situation. I'm starting to be swayed by the pre 75 cut off to keep the performance parity within tighter control. I also feel that ignitions should be open as long as the replacement ignition fits the pre 75 criteria. That then bars later digital ignitions and big buck stuff like PVL and the like. Suspension should be 7" and 4" with a 32mm fork diameter limit. No emulators. Fork swaps would be allowed. Shocks should be restricted to period aftermarket or factory units. No YSS (Sorry Walter!) or Ohlin style shim style shocks. Works Performance would be OK as they were available prior to 1975. Frame mods are allowed in keeping with the technology of the day, ie lowered engine cradles, lengthened swingarm. Engine swaps allowed but all components must be pre '75. Reed valves OK but only using period bolt on kits like Gem etc or factory (Yamaha). No later welded reed blocks or V reeds. No tapered header pipes. Pipes must be period style dimensions. No fat centre sections. Wheel size must remain as fitted to the bike at the factory........That's it for a while, I've got to go to a kids rugby match, more later.

TM BILL

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2008, 09:57:40 am »

firko

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2008, 12:08:28 pm »
Slightly off the subject...I notice that the AHRMA eligibility list bans Rickman frames that were originally intended for Zundapp engines but allows the Rickman Hodaka 100. That's a hard one to follow as the frames are absolutely identical, the only difference being the engine and pipe mounts. I wonder what the thinking is behind that decision?

While I was at the footy I was thinking about the wheel size allowances for the 100 class and the more I think about it, the more I believe that 21" front wheels should be allowed for all bikes. If, like I originally suggested, we restricted bikes to whatever wheels they were delivered from the18" and 19" front wheel bikes would be at a bit of a disadvantage over the 21" equipped bikes. I'm building a couple of Honchos which have 18" fronts and personally won't be putting 21" wheels on them, mainly because they look funny on a Honcho(I'll probably take the 19" option with a ts185 wheel) but I reckon the option should be there for anyone who wants to use one. The tyre choices are pretty ordinary for 18" and 19" fronts and bolt up 21" wheels are readily available for most of the bikes for cheap piss money.

I've mentioned it before but I reckon the bikes should be as presentable as possible. Remember always that people from outside of our movement are always ready to throw the shitbox tag at our loved machines so in a bid to keep our public face in good stead I'd want to see the bikes looking spic,n,span and looking like race bikes. I don't want to encourage mega dollar bling anodized and chrome plated show bikes as that's against the aim of our little exercise. What I'd like to see is low buck quality like what comes out of Docs shed. It's amazing what one can do with a $2.99 can of paint and a tube of metal polish. .....That's it for a little while. I'm off to Pacific Park for a trials event.

Doc

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2008, 04:48:01 pm »
I'll go with whatever rules are in place as I just want to ride the old trailies again!  ;)

I agree we should keep the real dungers out and the bikes as stated should at least be tidy, presentable and in race worthy condition.

The SL100 owes about $400 I guess as it sits and will probably need another $100 to freshen up the motor a little before it ventures out.

The TS125 while definately not eligible is an example of another cheapy using era parts. Owes less than $500 as it sits ;)

As for wheel sizes well that is up to the individual. I've found on the slightly smaller than full size bikes (i.e.  SL100 and TS100) the 21" front 18" rear isn't overly essential. I'll personally run the stock 19' fronts cause I  like to keep the asthetics in proportion = keep it small :-\ up to yourselves.

why you can even get the whole family to help with the finishing off..or in this case the help of the ex Mrs Doc  :P she actually does know her way around old engines better than one would assume. Here she be refitting my oil feed lines for me ;)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:50:05 pm by Doc »

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2008, 05:41:23 pm »
this is amazing 8 pages on a class that does`t exist (pics take up space i know).when in gereral discussion magoo has asked for input into some classes that do exist.evo and pre 85 and to date there is 3 pages.it would of been good to see 8 pages on this subject as it would help him and the committee address what could become a problem.
in the evo class there is a ruling stating that bikes will be OEM.this could be taken as unmodified. 

Doc

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2008, 06:12:44 pm »
If I had imput for the Evo topic I would have added to it Micks. Have another look..there is actually 10 pages or more on this topic  ;)

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=1350.0

firko

« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2008, 11:37:23 pm »
Mick..Anyone who's been on this forum for any length of time can tell you that I've posted ad finitum with my opinions on the rules of our sport. I've been crunching rules for the vintage movement since 1986 and I'm now over it. While I understand and aplaud Magoo, Bahnsy and everyone else who's contributed, they're doing just fine without my help. I don't race evo or pre 85 and feel that any contributions wouldn't mean much and should come from the guys who are actually a part of that scene. I've been following the posts with interest and reckon the boys have it under control. 

On the other hand, this particular subject seems to have taken on a life of its own because there has been a calling for a low cost, entry level class for yonks and up until now nobody had done anything positive in that direction. This 100cc dunger class came purely from a bit of fun amongst the old Kevlars over a couple of drinks. We figured that we'd build a couple of bikes just for our own entertainment. Then the more we talked it out,the more it looked like a good idea. The 8 pages of positive response proves that it might just be a better idea than we even thought. It seems that it's not just me who thinks that we need a little bit of FUN racing on CHEAP bikes.

Quicksilver

« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2008, 07:23:01 am »
Dungers are a winner if keept simple, cheap and fun.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2008, 09:37:57 am »
as far as presentation goes, obviously the bike will need to be able to pass scrutineering so the usual preparation should apply. in most classes now, there seems to be a good spread of cheapies to bling so i don't see this potential class to be any different.
just got to get me that LT100 and get things started i spose
"flat bickie"

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2008, 07:21:14 pm »
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D