Author Topic: Rulebook adjustments  (Read 20698 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: Rulebook adjustments
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2008, 06:56:04 pm »
Do MNZ shunt other events in favour of their own?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

magoo

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2008, 06:57:15 pm »
In a perfect world, Evo would be as stated, no linkage rear suspension, air cooled and drum brakes. I've been racing in the Evo class in three states over the last 10 years and have seen HUNDREDS (thousands) of bikes at meetings and have only seen one bike which I considers wrong, and it was a 1982 CR480RC Honda with 2 shocks welded on the back. WRONG.

Glenn Bell won the 2004 Nationals at Conondale on a KX250A5 with a flat slide carby and 43mm forks and to me that's fine, who gives a shit. If we can just come up with a set of rules that can retain the "Spirit of the Era" the world would be a fantastic place.

I've gotta go, the Popes coming over for tea and I'm cooking.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2008, 08:43:26 pm »
In a perfect world, Evo would be as stated, no linkage rear suspension, air cooled and drum brakes. I've been racing in the Evo class in three states over the last 10 years and have seen HUNDREDS (thousands) of bikes at meetings and have only seen one bike which I considers wrong, and it was a 1982 CR480RC Honda with 2 shocks welded on the back. WRONG.

Glenn Bell won the 2004 Nationals at Conondale on a KX250A5 with a flat slide carby and 43mm forks and to me that's fine, who gives a shit. If we can just come up with a set of rules that can retain the "Spirit of the Era" the world would be a fantastic place.

I've gotta go, the Popes coming over for tea and I'm cooking.

Whats your take on the "Spirit of the Era" Magoo?
And which era of Evo you refer too, remembering that CZ made a bike in '91 that can race in this class?
Is it the late 70's? The early 80's?
What exactly are you wanting in the rules?
Let us know where you think the line should be drawn. Tell us some parts that you think are in the "Spirit of the Era" and what you think about a '78 RM400 up against a '83 CR500 (Husky)? What can be done to the RM to get it up to the standard of the CR? (brakes, suspension, handling, power)?
These are just questions, by no means am I trying to stir shit, but just trying to understand where you or any other forum member (for that matter) stand on the "Spirit of Era" and what "parts" are acceptable to put on an Evo bike?
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

TM BILL

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2008, 09:53:44 pm »
Tm Bill     "I think what keeps it simple is that Vintage MX in NZ has to affiliation to Motorcycling New Zealand "  should that be "no" instead of "to"? cause it a little confusing as written. Tim754 
Thanks Tim amended now :-[

TM BILL

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:36 pm »
Do MNZ shunt other events in favour of their own?

Yes wombat but Fortunatly MNZ is so disorganised it couldn't find its own arse with both hands and a map.

They are no use and thankfully no threat to VMX over here, MNZ made various moves to get VMX on board (have a lolly little boy  ;) ) but at the end of the day its a give and take situation we give and they would take.

long may VMX in NZ remain the free spirit it is  :) :)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2008, 08:41:55 pm »
For perusal and comment. How would this sit with the general public? A bit of a less is more look at things.

Evolution Class- General
• Evolution class shall be run as a national championship and can be independent of other classic motocross classes.
Evolution Class- Eligibility
• Modifications converting later equipment to comply will not be allowed
• Machines eligible to compete in Pre78 (or earlier) are not eligible to compete in Evolution.
• All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured.
       o No linkage suspension
       o No Disc brakes
       o Air cooled motors
Classes
• Solo 125cc
• Solo 250cc
• Solo 263cc and over
Age Group
• No age group classes will be run at National Championships

Pre 1985 Class - General
• Pre 85 class can be run as a National Championship, and can be independent of other classes
Pre 85 Eligibility
• Acceptable machines for pre 85 are machines built up to and including the 1984 models.
  The only exception to this GCR is where the model remains unaltered after this date.
  The onus of proof of eligibility shall rest wholly on the rider or entrant of this machine.
• The rear suspension must be of a linkage design.
• Modifications using later equipment are not allowed.
Classes
• Solo 125cc
• Solo 250cc
• Solo 263cc and over
Age Group
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2008, 09:38:47 pm »
spot on ;D
follow me to first turn

« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2008, 07:41:30 am »
With pre 85,it has to be linkage rear.
Are there not 84 models with twin shocks that are still eligible? E.g a Husky.(Or even 82 or 83 model bikes)

Maico31

« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2008, 09:24:06 am »
So where does that leave an '84 Husky CR250 watercooled bike with twin shock suspension and drum brakes? It is a pre '85 bike because of the water cooling.

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2008, 01:53:06 pm »
Is the 500 Husky twin shock in '84? Does this mean it cant be run in pre '85

Maico31

« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2008, 03:15:46 pm »
Yeah the '84 500 Husky is a twin shock. It can run in Evo cos it's still air cooled.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2008, 10:36:19 pm »
For perusal and comment. How would this sit with the general public? A bit of a less is more look at things.

Evolution Class- General
• Evolution class shall be run as a national championship and can be independent of other classic motocross classes.
Evolution Class- Eligibility
• Modifications converting later equipment to comply will not be allowed
• Machines eligible to compete in Pre78 (or earlier) are not eligible to compete in Evolution.
       o No linkage suspension
       o No Disc brakes
       o Air cooled motors
Classes
• Solo 125cc
• Solo 250cc
• Solo 263cc and over
Age Group

Pre 1985 Class - General
• Pre 85 class can be run as a National Championship, and can be independent of other classes
Pre 85 Eligibility
• Acceptable machines for pre 85 are machines built up to and including the 1984 models.
  The only exception to this GCR is where the model remains unaltered after this date.
  The onus of proof of eligibility shall rest wholly on the rider or entrant of this machine.
• The rear suspension must be of a linkage design.
• Modifications using later equipment are not allowed.
Classes
• Solo 125cc
• Solo 250cc
• Solo 263cc and over
Age Group

Don't agree with the Evo rules.  Our 1976 EMC framed CZ currently qualifies for Evo in every way, but now you're saying I can't ride it because it's also eligible for an older class..

I say all power to anyone that can ride an older bike and be competitive in Evo, Pre 85, Pre 90 or Modern for that matter.  What you lose in technology you have to make back in skill & testicle dimensions. 

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2008, 01:14:42 pm »
You probably want the rule to say that you cannot enter the same bike as Evo and non Evo in the same meeting.
ACTMCC Dirt Track Classic class at their club days is officially Evo.
But I see no problem in entering a Pre 78 or Pre 75 bike if there are no seperate Pre 78 or Pre 75 classes being run at the meeting.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2008, 06:51:27 pm »
My testicular dimmensions aren't what they used to be but 100% with 555 on this one. It would be ridiculas for a bike to be in-illegible for a class because it can run in an earlier class. Plain dumb! It would limit most riders with one bike to two, maybe three races for the day! Usually three lap races. Hardly worth all the trouble of entering, driving half way 'round the country and getting all your gear on for eight maybe 12 laps of a track. Plus it helps in making grid sizes larger and that's gotta be good for everyone. I like to see older bikes blowing away ones 10 yrs their junior. Puts paid to all that crap about someone having the advantage of 2mm larger forks or a modern ignition and an after-market fuel breather.... ::)

Spot on NR555 and Ross.. I feel the same way.. If them rules were in place, spending hard earned cash on whats already a tight budget on ya bike.. entry fee.. $$$$Fuel cost.. time.. repairs.. Maintanance.. race licence.. four hours return drive to the track on your 1 day a week off.. starts to make u think is it worth it for 3x3lap races..
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2008, 07:05:53 pm »
You probably want the rule to say that you cannot enter the same bike as Evo and non Evo in the same meeting.
As long as you can make the grid in time I don't see a problem.
If a person owns only one bike and it's eligible for both classes, where's the harm?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"