Author Topic: Aussie 4 Day Starters  (Read 26705 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie 4 Day Starters
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »
Nathan as you did the 4 day last year and I am still a 4 day virgin could you give us an indication as to what would be of best value to the team, and what the necessities are so we have some idea of what is required and how to approach it .Also Viewers keep in mind it would be great if we could have a VMX stand included with the team and a few Restored Bikes on display to help promote the VMX movement and or Club pending what peoples thoughts are.

Buggered if I know! :)

Seriously, I'm sure I'll miss lots, but here's what springs to mind:
1. The items that are marked (frame, hubs, cases, muffler) cannot be replaced. If they break, you're screwed.

2. You get 25minutes/day to work on the bike (can't recall if it is 10 in the morning and 15 in the afternoon, or vice versa). In the work periods, you can replace unmarked parts and use any tools.
If you've got a big problem, you can put the bike into Parc Ferme while it is incomplete/inoperable, and finish it the next morning.
You can take longer, up to the limit of houring out and at the expense of time penalties.

3. During the days, you can work on the bike whenever you get to controls early, using tools and parts you carry with you. You'll usually get to the final control early, and have to sit there for 10+ minutes. If you've got a problem, it gives you time to organise tools and loosen/remove as much as you possibly can, before going into the final work period.

4. Any helpers you have are restricted in what they can do to the bike. The basic rule is that they cannot touch the bike, but can add fluid/lube to it.
 The rules are not as clear as they could be - late on Day 3, we got into trouble for one of my helpers spraying chain lube onto the chain while I spun the rear wheel, even though we were specifically told that it was OK...

5. Despite all of the above, Helpers are still very, very useful. Organisation, filling oil/fuel/drink/snacks, handing tools over, and another brain/set of eyes are all very valuable when the pressure is on.
I had help from The Wife and a good mate (who is a fellow rally and dirt bike tragic) - we all communicate well, without effort - and can forgive any flared tempers in the heat of the moment... It might not sound important, but it is.

6. Having someone to check on you at every opportunity is a big mental boost - if you have only one helper, they probably wont make it to every possible (accessible) control - but one helper can help more than one rider.
At the very least, it's valuable for communication: "I'm going fine, but I will need to swap brake pads at the end of the day".
There were also times when you weren't allowed to receive any "equipment", but you incredibly found the parts or food you need just laying on the ground... ;) Kind of stupid, but that's the way the rules work.

7. You will find lots of vague bits in the rules. They are very serious about "don't ride your bike backwards in the service park", so I was pushing mine back to pick up the time card I'd forgotten - I got into trouble for that, but when I said "I'm not riding it", I got blank stares.

8. Be organised. Everything, everyone, all the time.

9. Expect curve balls, and to not have a freaking clue WTF is happening at least some of the time.
I took down my 20-litre jerry cans, and at rider's briefing we were informed that the Victorian DSE won't accept containers of more than 10-litres of fuel (and half-filling my 20-litre jerries wasn't acceptable). So we - along with another third of the competitors - then spent a couple of hours finding the last remaining 10-litre jerry cans in Warragul...

10. Jan. Jan is the grand poohbah of the Four Day. She's lovely, but I'm pretty sure that if you get on her bad side, you will be lucky to live to tell the tale... :)

I feel like I'm rambling. Lynn Braico has written a pretty good guide, that's floating around on the net - I think it can be found on the NSW Enduro website.
In 2012 they gave a specific briefing for novices. It was a big help, largely for putting my mind at ease - even if stuff was later contradicted (see #7).

In a perfect world, you'd have a cast of thousands looking after your every whim (within the limits of the rules) and an unlimited parts supply (also within the limits of the rules).
In practice, 3 riders and (say) three helpers that pooled their resources is FAR more useful than three helpers who look after one rider each.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 08:41:30 pm »
Great (as usual) post Nathan.

I'm riding a pre-2014  ;D in the 4 day, but I've got to say that KDX looks the goods!

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 09:07:46 pm »
Steve and Nath. I think I have another Heaven member to join you guys. Either on a 87 Husky 430 or a IT 250 ( come on relfy....how much ) ;D

Will call you tonight Steve

Ol mate is having some new wheels built for the Husky and is in the process of getting his electrics up to speed. He's in boys.

The three amigos.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline relfy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 10:55:44 pm »
Well done Ted will your man be at Gloucester ???? would like to catch up

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2014, 06:52:09 am »
No He will be in Tassie Something about jogging backwards up Cradle Mtn backwards to prepare

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:58 pm »
Entries are open: http://www.nswenduro.com.au/

If I'm not one of the first ten entries, I'll be disappointed.

Entries capped at 300. There were 230-odd in 2012, so I don't think 300 is a huge issue, but I got in ASAP to avoid dramas.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 03:03:33 pm »
I just entered and got receipt #37
I'm entered on a Husky WR300 in 'Masters' :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »
Just checked: Mine was #5. :)

Offline relfy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 07:57:52 pm »

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 08:11:15 pm »
Spoke to third guy today. He has just returned from holidays. He's onto it.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 08:03:45 am »
Great effort guys. If I came to the 4 Day, is there any way I could be of help.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 09:19:00 am »
Good luck with the 4 day roost guys. It's a big effort.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline relfy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 01:22:35 pm »
Thanks for the words of support what ever happens should be a heap of fun , hopefully we will complete the four days, that in itself would be an amazing effort I am lead to believe that a guy from the Oyster Bay Club is riding a 1983 IT 250 K in the 4 day as well.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 10:19:25 am »
Finishing the 4 day is a great effort....getting up on day 3 is an effort in itself. A well prepared bike, having spare levers, tubes and an assortment of nuts and bolts that fit your bike is a must and carry them in your trail pack. Having something handy to munch on in your pack is good advice, as finding time to have a decent "lunch" will be hard pressed.  A fresh rear tyre is good for day 3, especially if the terrain has nasty rock sections.
Oyster Bay is a very strong enduro club so any advice you can get from any of that crowd should be well heeded. Better still, set up near them, they usually have everything you could ever need.....
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 10:30:59 pm »
Please dont forget this started as vehicle (with the PanPac Masters) to raise awareness and funds for depression.
Frankly the responce is very disappointing with only five donations to Riders Against Depression ( see this topic at the top of the General Discussion section)
On the positive side we raised a bit over $100 at Gloucester, and it was good to meet Relfy at last.