Author Topic: Aussie 4 Day Starters  (Read 26698 times)

Offline relfy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Aussie 4 Day Starters
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:43:22 pm »
Hi would anybody be interested in having a crack at the Aussie 4 day on a pre 90 bike to raise both funds and awareness for mens depression (Beyond Blue or The Black Dog Institute) see post in General Discussion ??? we would need riders to commit as people are prepared to donate $ so it cannot be pie in the sky and not follow thru with it. please check post as above and give us your thoughts. Relfy

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie 4 Day Starters
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:45:52 pm »
Obviously each year is different, but based on my experience in 2012, and the experience of some other mates in recent years, the event is not the killer that it once was. The Special Tests are surprisingly easy - the (relatively) difficult stuff is reserved for the trail.

The need to stay on time is likely to be the biggest issue for the punter. Most of the event I had no trouble staying on time, but there was one section where everyone (including most of the pros) got caught out and virtually everyone used late time.
I lost a fair bit of late time on day 3 - one little creek crossing cost me a few minutes, another big bog hole cost me a lot more time... When I wasted another five on a big hill, it was more than a little worried about houring out if I lost any more...

There are no vintage classes - they run E1, E2 & E3 capacity classes, Vets (old blokes) and Masters (really old blokes). And a Women's class.
Anyone reading this would probably enter Vets or Masters, as appropriate. You'll get smashed by the likes of Damien Smith, Kirk Hutton and Geoff Ballard, but there will be a lot more club level riders among the old blokes' classes. This is particularly important for the final moto on Day 4, because that way you won't come last in front of everyone! :D

99% of bikes will be new or less than two years old. Normally you'd be lucky to see a single bike that's older than five years - there is no doubt that the old bikes will be very well noticed.

Mousses are virtually essential. Not just for the time saved, but also the amount of crap you don't have to cart around with you. I did the whole event on one pair of tyres, and even the rear could have done it all again... I was deliberately careful to look after it, because my mousse/tyre changing skills are questionable. In hindsight, I could/should have ridden much harder and not worried about it.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:55:11 pm »
Neither rego or a compliance plate is needed.
You do need an Unregistered Vehicle Permit, and working head- tail- and brake-lights, though.

I'm not sure what's involved in obtaining a NSW permit for a race bike, but for a rally car it is a matter of going to an RTA office, filling out the forms and paying a small amount of money. Lately they've been asking for a copy of the Supp Regs to prove that the event is actually happening (and is not simply a figment of your imagination).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:49:09 pm »
I think it's a great idea,so it needs someone to grab it by the throat and run with it.
A great cause so once set up I'm in for $100.
I think a lot of guys would love to be involved in such an event and cause but are too old, unfit or whatever to tackle such an event as the 4 Day.
With this in view I'd be prepared to run a fundraiser at  the Panpac Games Vinduro (and Enduro) on the Gold Coast on 1&2 Nov.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:27:16 pm »
It's amazing how this thread failed to fly...  :-\

Relfy, I'm in: '88 KX125.

Part of the reason I bought the bike in the first place was because of the article in ADB of a BTX-KX125 enduro bike - seems silly to never do an enduro on it.

Offline relfy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:43:53 pm »
Great work Nathan your a champ  anyone else want to have a go ??? its for a great cause if not its you and I .thanks again Relfy

Offline relfy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 11:04:54 pm »
I am going to purchase and  build a bike I was thinking a 1987 -88 KDX 200 does anyone have some thoughts of a bike that would be a good mount to try and complete for days as comfortable as it can be on a bike that's pre 90 ???

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:41:14 am »
We have been given the ok to run a fundraiser for Beyond Blue at the PanPacific Masters, so have got the ball rolling up here.
Date Nov 1st & 2nd
Venue Gold Coast near Dreamworld
Camping on site and motel accommodation nearby.
Classes  Classic, Pre'78 and Post Classic Pre90.
Two rider teams riding 2-3 hours Sat and Sunday mornings
Age groupings 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
Also an Enduro in the afternoons, same age groupings.
Lights not required.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 10:49:30 am »
Relfy and Nathan, I have now got the official letter of approval from Beyond Blue as an approved fund raiser at the Masters.
I suggest we co-ordinate our efforts. Could you ring or Email me 0459122090  [email protected]

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:37 am »
Please see new topic RIDERS AGAINST DEPRESSION in the General Discussion section

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:58:32 am »
It's amazing how this thread failed to fly...  :-\

Relfy, I'm in: '88 KX125.

Part of the reason I bought the bike in the first place was because of the article in ADB of a BTX-KX125 enduro bike - seems silly to never do an enduro on it.

Nathan I enduro and cross country a 89 KX 125 and it was a great bike , momentum is king slowdown for nothing.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:01:01 pm »
I won't whore up the riders against depression thread, so here's the start of my bike prep....

I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to ride. My dearly loved 88 KX125 was the obvious choice from an emotional point of view, and wasn't a ridiculous choice on logical criteria, but I kept thinking about how horrible it would be on drit road/tar transports, and abot how I'd put five seasons of VMXing onto an above-average, fairly original bike by doing the 4-day on it.

More thinking lead me to decide that I wanted to ride an 89 KDX200 or 89 YZ250WR, with a KTM250/300, Husky 250/400 or RMX250 being outside choices.

After spending LOTS of time on Gumtree and Ebay, and finding nothing, I bought back my old, rough 1990 KDX200E that I bought on a whim a few years ago. I sold it to a mate to use as a paddock bike, but even though the power valve was jammed shut, he thoguht it was "too fast" and hardly ever rode it....

I never remember to take "before" photos, so here it is after I'd taken the motor out:

Sexy, yes?...  :P

I pulled it down, and then started to add up what it was going to cost to get it up to speed....

Then three much better sounding bikes all came up for sale. Yesterday, I drove three hours to Bombala and bought one with a properly rebuilt motor and a pretty good parts bike:

The runner is another 1990 model, but the parts bike is a 1989 one. The plan is to get the mechanicals right in the 1990 frame, and then give the 1989 roller a cosmetic rebuild and transfer everything over.

Here's how it sits tonight:

I haven't done anything major yet: Swapped the bent bars for some straight ones, fitted a Yamaha (IT200?) top triple clamp to move the handle bars forward, fitted the FMF Powercore silencer from the original bike, and a few other tweaks.

Next is to fit a set of 88 KX forks and an 89 KX shock. Just waiting for the new springs, Gold Valves and seals/bushes to arrive so I can rebuild the KX suspension bits.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 11:28:13 pm »
Good one. great project and goal. 
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 07:37:26 pm »
If anyone wants a poster, just PM me your email address. then you can print a few and spread them around

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 05:55:22 pm »
id love to have a crack on the 400...would be a great experience! will watch and ponder. the 200 is great choice