Author Topic: best way to cut/shape seat foam  (Read 16476 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: best way to cut/shape seat foam
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2013, 10:45:52 am »
One source for the correct density foam is to use a 15 or 20mm yoga mat. You can pick 'em up on eBay or sports shops (maybe even Clarks Rubber) for under $20. You can cut them up and glue them together with spray glue until you get the desired thickness and then use the old electric bread life to shape it like Slakey's done. I haven't seen this particular density rubber in 40mm thickness but it's probably available. This is the desired density foam.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 01:10:30 pm »
One source for the correct density foam is to use a 15 or 20mm yoga mat. You can pick 'em up on eBay or sports shops (maybe even Clarks Rubber) for under $20. You can cut them up and glue them together with spray glue until you get the desired thickness and then use the old electric bread life to shape it like Slakey's done. I haven't seen this particular density rubber in 40mm thickness but it's probably available. This is the desired density foam.

Good one Firko, looks the business for us foam hacks :D Happy new year chaps and chapets, hey Firko Ill knock ya up some foam leg protectos :o to soon ??? sorry :-[ :-X         ;)

GT43

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 08:06:33 pm »
How do you lay foam on the seat pan, when most seat pans are full of undulations and hard edge craters etc  ?

Cutting small pieces of foam and sticking them into each crevice might be time consuming.  Some  pans are like a dam jigsaw puzzle.

Perhaps cutting off the bottom of the original buggered seat foam, and use that as a foundation for the new foam to bond onto.   :-\

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 08:30:24 pm »
I love having what I typed repeated.... Makes me wonder why I even bother  :-\
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

GT43

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 08:53:15 pm »
I love having what I typed repeated.... Makes me wonder why I even bother  :-\

Who you referring to ?

GT43

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 09:37:58 pm »
TBM, I have gone back to view the dribble you wrote and I dont see any reference to my question.
 -  Is there an easy way to to attach new flat foam onto a jagged seat pan ?

Cutting up an old seat foam to use as a base is common sense for anyone. What if you dont have access to an old foam ?

Get off your horse.

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 09:45:07 pm »
I think Les at VMX unlimited used to sell blocks of the right density foam ,ready for carving.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 08:32:47 am »
TBM, I have gone back to view the dribble you wrote and I dont see any reference to my question.

Cutting up an old seat foam to use as a base is common sense for anyone. What if you dont have access to an old foam ?

Get off your horse.

If it's dribble I wrote, why would you bother reading it. And for your information GT, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. At the time I wrote my "dribble", you hadn't asked about attaching new foam to a jagged seat base. Seeing as you have loads of common sense, why don't you use some of it to figure out how to attach your seat foam to it's base.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 11:34:49 am »

Get off your horse.

If it's dribble I wrote, why would you bother reading it. And for your information GT, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. At the time I wrote my "dribble", you hadn't asked about attaching new foam to a jagged seat base. Seeing as you have loads of common sense, why don't you use some of it to figure out how to attach your seat foam to it's base.
AHH MERRY CHRISTMAS fellas I said MERRY CHRISTMAS  ;) hey its all been good information so please kiss and make up, its distressing the children ;)

GT43

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 06:42:36 pm »
Bloody forums eh.
Arguing over a bit of seat foam. LMFAO.

Not wasting energy on this.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 09:07:07 am »
Bah humbug..... it's not christmas anymore. HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR everybody....and that includes you mr GT43  :-*

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 10:03:03 am »
 ;) lol see now they the best of mates :)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 11:02:34 am »
This is flucking madness, arguing over seat foam ::). There's enough negative ions floating around without GT chucking it in over a simple (I'm sure) misunderstanding. Come on back matey.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 11:09:43 am »
This is flucking madness, arguing over seat foam ::). There's enough negative ions floating around without GT chucking it in over a simple (I'm sure) misunderstanding. Come on back matey.
So they were serious, it just looked like two grumpy old men doing a skit from the muppets :o please come back with your smiley faces on ;)

Offline scottm

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 04:49:20 pm »
Now all thats said on the foam can someone tell me what is needed to finish the seat off ''' what paint to use for a stencil on seat cover ''' thanks in advance of a reply

Scott
pre 84 thank you very much