Author Topic: Works bikes  (Read 29484 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Re: Works bikes
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 08:53:36 pm »
And I was just about to pass the fat bugger. ;D

What I wanna know Joan, is WTF were you doing behind him in the first place  ;D  ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

albrid-3

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:44 pm »
Yes you would be able to race the bike.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 09:02:08 pm »
So a bike that was not available to the public is OK to ride at the Nats.

As evidenced in the above photo.

Only if the lugs on the swingarm are factory welded.  :o
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »
So we have ascertained these bikes were not available to the public , only supported riders and are fine to race.

Well how does somebody from the Classic Dirt Commission justify these comments he made :

" The few bikes I seen with them parts on it were all ridden by fully supported riders, so were they only available to selected riders "

" you need to prove it was genuinely available to all riders. Gunters bike most probably had Pre production parts on it supplied by Suzuki, the same as Galls Yamaha and several other top riders. And if that is the case it is not legal"
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 09:10:58 pm »

Only if the lugs on the swingarm are factory welded.  :o

You are a welder aren't you Mick. You have a look and tell me when it was welded. The welds are identical.

Offline 35elsinore

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:31 pm »
Sadly Daves RH had a gearbox giggle last year, but the AJS wasnt a giggle at all. Hope Dave is riding this year, surely last year taxed all his bad luck.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 09:16:25 pm »

If a works bike fits the criteria then it's all good. What you really want to know as JohnnyO eluded, if a works bike has parts not allowed as in water cooling in pre 78 or Evo. That is the big question. As far as I can see the answer is no by the rules in place. A factory works bike being ridden at a nationals is an extremely small issue. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a works bike at any of the national events I've been to.
Sounds a little bit like a barrow being pushed  ???

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 09:17:53 pm »

Apparently Graham Noyce turned up and rode his '79 World Championship winning RC500 Honda (that Honda gave to him after he won the title), at vintage meetings in England, until he sold it to a private collector. This picture was supposedly taken in 1991 at a vintage meeting. I'm not sure if he would get away with it here in Australia , but it meets the Evo class rules by being all O.E.M Honda.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »
You can't use the poms as an eg. Mark. 
They cut up single shock bikes for Evo. That bike fits their 'rules' easily.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:32 pm »

It fits within the rules.. Its a semi works bike, If it was Roger DeCosters real 74 RN400 with 8 inches suspension travel front and rear then NO it wouldn't be OK.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 09:28:40 pm »
No barrow here Brad. I was told by a representative from the Commission that unless it was available to the public it's illegal. However the one man that can approve these parts can ride a whole bike that was not available to the public.

This isn't about suspension travel it is about availability to the public.

Hypocrisy

Montynut

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 09:31:13 pm »
A genuine 'factory' race bike would not be eligible as it was not available to purchase in the day. The RH/RNs that are on the market from time to time were not factory bikes but limited production bikes available on application and were purchased by the owner/entrant still the most desirerable of all Suzuki bikes. There was an RH250 in my town in '74/'75. These bikes are still well short of the factory bikes ridden in GPs. This has been covered several times before.

While the '74 RH/RN were very restricted in numbers and who had one they were still purchased and stayed with the purchaser when retired from racing. They were limited production racers I can remember a few people waiting almost a year for delivery of the YZ250/360B first mono which was also a very limited production run from memory.

Why would you want to thrash a 60-80K bike made of unobtainium around for a classic title and risk wiping 75% off its value by blowing the engine to bits or flattening a pipe etc etc
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:35:36 pm by Montynut »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 09:31:56 pm »
I was told by a representative from the Commission that unless it was available to the public it's illegal.
That isn't a written rule and is just one mans take on it

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 09:38:19 pm »
A genuine 'factory' race bike would not be eligible as it was not available to purchase in the day. The RH/RNs that are on the market from time to time were not factory bikes but limited production bikes available on application and were purchased by the owner/entrant still the most desirerable of all Suzuki bikes. There was an RH250 in my town in '74/'75. These bikes are still well short of the factory bikes ridden in GPs. This has been covered several times before.

While the '74 RH/RN were very restricted in numbers and who had one they were still purchased and stayed with the purchaser when retired from racing. They were limited production racers I can remember a few people waiting almost a year for delivery of the YZ250/360B first mono which was also a very limited production run from memory.

Why would you want to thrash a 60-80K bike made of unobtainium around for a classic title and risk wiping 75% off its value by blowing the engine to bits or flattening a pipe etc etc

Because that's what it was made for!!!!!!
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:18 pm »

Price of any bike is only relevant to how many lawns you've mowed