Author Topic: Pre 91 dissapointing in NZ  (Read 12133 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 91 dissapointing in NZ
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2013, 12:51:18 am »
Liz -I am OK with that - don't care  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2013, 06:19:46 am »
My view on this is a question. If you DID NOT have latter classes ie single shock ( yamaha mono shock aside) at all point blank , would the people who really want to race and be part of a vintage movement ( not just trophy hunters ) still come and race older bikes?
 I think that by allowing a large spread of classes that the numbers will thin in each class as there is only a small populaces that wants to race any old bikes inc 91
I spoke to several guys at a mx recently that liked the bikes I had on display with misty eyes to the old days, but wernt interested in racing them as they were into modern vets or were pushing their kids to be the next great thing.
 As far as I am concerned anything that looks like a modern bike is not a vintage bike.
What happens in WA where there are no  single shocks are the fields small?

If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 08:06:44 am »
My view on this is a question. If you DID NOT have latter classes ie single shock ( yamaha mono shock aside) at all point blank , would the people who really want to race and be part of a vintage movement ( not just trophy hunters ) still come and race older bikes?
 I think that by allowing a large spread of classes that the numbers will thin in each class as there is only a small populaces that wants to race any old bikes inc 91
I spoke to several guys at a mx recently that liked the bikes I had on display with misty eyes to the old days, but wernt interested in racing them as they were into modern vets or were pushing their kids to be the next great thing.
 As far as I am concerned anything that looks like a modern bike is not a vintage bike.
What happens in WA where there are no  single shocks are the fields small?

I hope this doesnt get taken the wrong way and we can all stay calm and not turn this thread into another Pre 90 versus Pre 75 sh#tfight.

But if you look at the fields of classes in NZ VMX ( Enzed series) clearly the later eras have the bigger numbers.

This excludes the greybeards club in Auckland which has an up to Pre 80 rule and is suffering from continual decline in numbers year upon year.This is fact guys,I know some of the main players in this scene and attend the odd event every year or so.

Therefore moving to what the Buzzard (aka Assasin) has suggested above-cut the existing bike age groups- will alienate a large number of current racers in NZ.

I also think that VMX needs to continue to evolve as time goes by, just like all other forms of "classic motorsport" ie classic road racing,rally etc etc.

None of us are getting any younger and eventually we will will move away from the scene as our bodies deteriorate.

I also look at whats happening in the UK with its massive growth in Evo (pre 90) vmx and see the future of our sport.

I am sure this will get the usual suspects all fired up,which is not the aim of my statement.This is simply one mans opinion.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:12:30 am by suzuki59 »

TM BILL

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 08:19:49 am »
Thats all very well but the precious Prima donnas who want these semi modern classes then don't bother to enter  ::)

Pre 78 and earlier is my era of choice and ill bet i will still be racing when the plastic brigade have long gone home  ;)

I will say again i am not anti later eras just anti talkers non doers  >:(

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 08:26:55 am »
 I am involved in classic rallying and modern rallying. what has happen herein NZ is modern rally classes run pre 92 as a class, classic rally run pre 86 no exceptions and the feilds are good . What I am saying is too many classes in VMX will only thin the fields. If you want pre 91 go to MNZ  / MOZ and get it included in MODERN mx meetings which will suit the style of bike and rider that wants to race this class . Dont impose on what is still a classic era pre 86 full stop!
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 08:27:03 am »
Thats all very well but the precious Prima donnas who want these semi modern classes then don't bother to enter  ::)

Pre 78 and earlier is my era of choice and ill bet i will still be racing when the plastic brigade have long gone home  ;)

I will say again i am not anti later eras just anti talkers non doers  >:(

Bill,I am afraid that given the age of most participants on Pre 78 bikes,its fact that the "plastic " brigade as you refer to us,will outlast you cloth cap wearing old farts  :D

I take your point re talkers and doers  which is 100% correct, and understand your frustration (which I share).

But I reckon you need to calm down and give  Pre 91 in NZ, time to grow.

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 08:28:19 am »
I am involved in classic rallying and modern rallying. what has happen herein NZ is modern rally classes run pre 92 as a class, classic rally run pre 86 no exceptions and the feilds are good . What I am saying is too many classes in VMX will only thin the fields. If you want pre 91 go to MNZ  / MOZ and get it included in MODERN mx meetings which will suit the style of bike and rider that wants to race this class . Dont impose on what is still a classic era pre 86 full stop!
John would your opinion above be different if you had brought the 1988 RM 250J  and hadnt sold your 1983 RM 250 that you  used to regularly race in Pre 86???
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:33:52 am by suzuki59 »

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 08:42:57 am »
No , Not now, maybe a few years ago but in light of what I  have seen happen to vmx I have changed my opinion on what Vintage means. I can still accept pre 86 as they have only front discs and no  cartridge forks etc and also 81,82,83 were very developmental years showcasing advancement.
 I would still buy your J model just not race it, or I would take it to a modern meetings as I would only be as slow on that as I would on my 2001 KTM 380 SX
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:54:23 am by asasin »
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 08:46:05 am »
No , Not now, maybe a few years ago but in light of what I  have seen happen to vmx I have changed my opinion on what Vintage means. I can still accept pre 86 as they have only front discs and no  cartridge forks etc and also 81,82,83 were very developmental years showcasing advancement.
 I would still buy your J model just not race it or take it to a modern meeting as I would only be as slow on that AS MY 2001 KTM 380 SX
Fair enough mate,I respect your opinion.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »
So when are you going to include pre '96 ?  ;D

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 01:07:18 pm »
Half an hour before Pre 2001 ;D
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »
Half an hour before Pre 2001 ;D
Coool then My KTM380sx ( of which only 12 came to NZ) would be worth moonbeams ;D
 Worth hangin out for I recon , i should only be about 65 years old , oh and hell would have frozen over ;D
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT