Author Topic: Pre 91 dissapointing in NZ  (Read 12129 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 91 dissapointing in NZ
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 02:05:01 pm »
I'm glad somebody else sees Liz for what (s)he is!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 02:45:44 pm »
Yeah Joan there is a auckland round run by us jaffa's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 02:48:18 pm »
Bill get the word out "we are trialing the class this year" no interest,wont bother next year
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 03:40:47 pm »
Bill get the word out "we are trialing the class this year" no interest,wont bother next year

That's a bad idea, because it shows a lack of commitment to the idea from the organisers.
Essentially, it becomes: "No point in building a bike/getting excited, because its just as likely to fall over next year".
This extends beyond the (hypothetical) statement about entrant numbers - it creates the impression that the slightest thing will see the class canned. People don't commit to stuff that they expect will fail - if the organisers really want to see any class grow, the best thing that they can do is to be supportive of it, especially when it's not at its healthiest.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Simo63

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 03:47:44 pm »

That's a bad idea, because it shows a lack of commitment to the idea from the organisers.
Essentially, it becomes: "No point in building a bike/getting excited, because its just as likely to fall over next year".
This extends beyond the (hypothetical) statement about entrant numbers - it creates the impression that the slightest thing will see the class canned. People don't commit to stuff that they expect will fail - if the organisers really want to see any class grow, the best thing that they can do is to be supportive of it, especially when it's not at its healthiest.

Nathan you have got to be kidding?  You want the organisers to commit to running these races for a number of years yet you don't expect the riders who cried out for it to commit to it at all??

Talk about one sided mate.  The organisers have made the leap of faith .. it's now up to the riders to do the same don't you think   ::)

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 03:53:58 pm »
Everyone calm the F##k down,lets see what happens going forward -people.

Ps Rosco no one here likes you !!!

Simo63

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 04:29:07 pm »

I'm calm bro ..no malice in what I said at all but I can see where you might read that into it :)  8)

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 04:33:11 pm »

I'm calm bro ..no malice in what I said at all but I can see where you might read that into it :)  8)
All good brother  :D

TM BILL

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 05:45:51 pm »
Firstly this is not a dig or otherwise at pre 90 in Australia where it seems to be working  :)

The point is we only put the class in as there was apparently so much demand  ::) it was not added begrudgingly i was actually quite looking forward to seeing the later model bikes , i dont want to race it personally as its not an era i want to race .

But since offering the class there is now fork all interest  ::)

It makes no odds really as i say we are packing it out by having no bottom age / era limit, but WTF do we listen to these forkers when they get what they ask for they dont support it .

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 06:18:05 pm »
You will never please everyone.

Call up Pre 91 straight after Pre 86. Give them two minutes, then drop the gate. Guys will soon get sick of 1,2 and 3 bike races and hopefully start badgering their own Era mates to get involved. Leave it entirely up to them. If they want it they have to build it. The club has done its bit.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline tmkiwi

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 06:20:16 pm »
I nearly bought a 88' RM early in the year but didn't as all I heard were rumors of pre 91' coming in.
Now that there is a class I wish I had.
BTW I wasn't one of the we want crowd but I will race it if I find a bike.
I too was disapointed at the first round with the lack of entries in pre 91'. But I did bring along a work mate who bought a bike just for the class.

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »
FFS Bill Give it time !!

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 06:47:41 pm »
To be honest, I'm undecided on the Pre90/91 era here in NZ. We still have plenty of pre86 bikes available and would be better off promoting what we have already to increase numbers rather than just introducing another era and hope that by doing so will prop up (financially/rider numbers) of VMX.
My thoughts of VMX moving with the times i.e. introducing new eras because the newer bikes are now older and to inccourage new and younger riders seems to only destroy the older eras, be it the track gets to cut up, the racing gets over vigorous for some or just the general feel/scene of a meeting loses some of its 'old time charm', although this seems to be less important as I have witnessed the young and old reliving the race that has just been ridden. Could this be that both just like motorbikes and the racing of them more that any era, vintage or modern??
What I have discovered/witnessed over the years is, that its us as riders who bring most of the newbies to VMX (not the bikes), and as newbies go, most, if not all are just happy racing on something with 2 wheels and a motor regardless of the year of the bike. More often than not I have witnessed younger riders who have had no past affiliation with the older bikes, ending up buying and racing one or more.
Sometimes moving with the times can lose the times we have now and that's the part that I worry about. I know eventually time will march on but do we need to speed the process up, after all isn't 40 the new 30 and 50 the new 40 ??
Pre90/91 maybe here at the moment but it is 'that generation' of riders that will have to keep it going and I wonder if the enthusiasm with that generation will last the distance of time or will VMX be like most things of that era and only be supported when and if the feeling grabs them to take the bike out, but hey 'it's good to know that the era is available to them when they feel like racing' ???
Happy thoughts guys, DJRACING
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 07:07:14 pm »
How long have you been offering a Pre-91 class?
How well publicised has it been?

Don't know the politics of NZ VMX, but as a general statement:
You can't spend five years hanging shit on an era and the people who are passionate about it, and then expect them to come running like obedient little puppies when you finally, grudgingly offer them a class...

Nathan, here in NZ Pre90/91 has always been on offer. It has never been disallowed/discouraged or for that matter hung shit on. Anyone can run a meeting with what ever classes they want.
There was never a begrudgingly move to Pre91.
Passionate people would have there passions all ready to go at a moments notice I would have thought, but then again passion can be a spur of the moment thing I guess.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 07:11:51 pm »
DJ good to see you are back mate it's been a while.