Author Topic: When can I come to CD?  (Read 19062 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: When can I come to CD?
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2013, 11:44:14 am »
I'm not wound up Davey. If anyone else is, then good - they'll work through their cognitive dissonance in time. :)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2013, 12:40:45 pm »
Just my experience with CD so far... and just a story no points to be made here.

A few years ago I got a call from an old buddy in Qld and told that i have to come to CD7, I quickly scoured an internet sale site and found my dream enduro mount an 87 WR400, did a resto in a couple of months and just prior to the event I found out about the pre85 rule. I called VMX and pleaded my case and they said fine come along.

Next year I convincd my brother to come along, he didn't have a bike and I had 2 , so i lent him the 87, he rode (thrashed it, the pr$k) all good, no comments from anywhere.

Last year i dragged 3 of my Huskies to CD9 including the 87. Wasn't really going to ride it as I had just purchased the AE. As it turns out my Boofhead brother blew his bike up in the first few minutes of CD9, so he rode the 87. I did on lap of the enduro course on it. All good no issues, nil comments.

As far a s travel goes on bikes, my XC250 has 12" front and 13" rear which is more than my 3 later model bikes. Just sayin...

If someone is outside the rules than I suggest you call VMX Mag to discuss the issues with them.

(the 87WR wont be making the journey this year, which is sad because its a wonderful old bike)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07:08 am »
I notice that Ken has decided not to comment...  he's a wise man.  ;D

This seems to be the Nathan S vs. the world thread!  ;)

Nathan, there are other reasons than pure commercial or popularity ones for the Pre-85 cutoff.  Simple as that and those reasons determine how Classic Dirt is run.

Will it change in the future?  Maybe.  But not this year.

Ajay

Montynut

« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2013, 01:34:24 am »

This seems to be the Nathan S vs. the world thread!  ;)

Yep Nathan wears his underpants on the outside ::)

His superhuman strength allows him to take on two malevolent evils at once being VERi & CD organisers and then HBBB is next ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:35:59 am by Montynut »

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2013, 02:17:40 am »
OK, here's a quick draft:

1. Straight off the top of my head, i can think of six blokes who'd like to attend CD with their pre-90 bikes. Four of don't own pre-85 bikes, so cannot attend. Two of them also own pre-85 bikes, but won't attend because they think the "no pre-90" rule is bullshit.
I am sure there are more, and I may yet add myself to the list (not a tanty, just a "I can't be forked - if there's a modern enduro on that weekend, then I'll go there an have no bullshit").

2. There have been post-84 bikes in attendance (and ridden!) at the four previous CDs I've been to - at least half a dozen at CD9. Nobody has even mentioned them.
I specifically spoke to two of the riders last year, and they reported no negativity, and a fair bit of positivity.
The pattern of regular pre-90 bike attendance without a murmur of compliant strongly suggests that nobody is staying home "because of those rotten pre-90 bikes".

3. The event was not over-subscribed last year. I will stand corrected, but I am entirely confident that it is not in danger of being over-subscribed this year. Having more riders directly increases the profitability for the organisers.

4. Good vibes. There's no individual aspect of CD that cannot be had elsewhere - and HBBB offers more options.
CD's biggest strength in the marketplace is the inclusive attitude and lack of petty bullshit - "the vibe of it". Taking a hard line on pre-90 bikes kills a lot of the inclusive attitude - it might only upset a small number of people, but the event suddenly you've got (say) 20 disgruntled potential customers when you previously had none. And you know what they say about unhappy customers....

The CBA is easy: There's no cost, so any benefit is a net gain.

Late edit: this is also an unusual situation because there's a number of potential customers who have identified themselves, but are being refused service despite being no extra effort (the 'effort' of signing people on is utterly irrelevant compared to the total effort, and directly related to the success of the event).
On a personal level, I have a pre-90 bike ready to go, and a dozen pre-85 bikes needing work. If I was allowed to bring my pre-90 bike, I could commit to attending, safe in the knowledge that I would definitely have a ride - and then focus my energies on the pre-85 bikes to bring.

I really can't overstate the importance of inclusiveness (and the same goes for the VERi discussion) - when people are enthused about stuff, it is infectious. Unfortunately, the reverse is also true.
I've got two good mates who are wavering in their attendance (for various reasons) and another who cannot ride because be only owns a pre-90 bike. If any of those three would commit to going, I would also commit, regardless of my bike situation.

Similarly, I've got a lot of love for the Heaven club and firmly believe that the committee is doing a very good job of running the club - but my loyalty is with Northern Districts because their committee is positive and inclusive and tries hard to say Yes as often as possible.

I'll also point out how pissed off TM Bill was at CD6 when he wasn't allowed on the Vinduro loop because his bike didn't have a headlight... It wasn't really a big deal, but it's a vibe-killer without benefit to anyone.
Same with the bloke at HBBB who refused to allow bikes with headlights onto the MX track... Everyone understands and respects rules and decisions that make the event run smoothly and/or are for safety - but people love these events because they lack the officialdom of race meets, so it takes very little officialdom to kill off their enthusiasm...

And for anyone with a passion for pre-90, that's what's happening with CD now.

Gee, I just wish I had a job that I didn't have to work at, but could spend my whole day postulating on a forum.

TM BILL

« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2013, 05:33:00 am »

I'll also point out how pissed off TM Bill was at CD6 when he wasn't allowed on the Vinduro loop because his bike didn't have a headlight... It wasn't really a big deal, but it's a vibe-killer without benefit to anyone.

I was going to stay out of it but you have sucked me back in Nathan  ::)

For the record the only time i ever get pissed off at CD events is when they make me go home at the end of the event, knowing that i have to wait a whole year to come back and play with my mates and their Pre 85 bikes :'(

I wasn't pissed off , i just pointed out to the chap on the gate that "i know im a wobbler but im confident i will be back before it gets  dark " ;D

FWIW i actually understand the point of having a headlamp fitted on the enduro loop now , if you remember i brought a Preston petty unit and cable ties to CD7 and CD8 and put it on bikes i took on the enduro loop .
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:35:36 am by TM bill »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2013, 10:25:11 am »
Having a dig at me, while ignoring the points made... Hmmm. Surely if I was wrong, it would be easy to shoot down my arguments? :)

For the record, I wasn't at work for the first three days of this week. (And if you really want to know, this is being typed out while I'm squeezing one out... :) ).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2013, 10:37:00 am »
By the way, I am not having a dig at Nathan.  He is a passionate advocate for his cause and he is, as always, entitled to his opinion.

But ultimately, the solution to the question; "When can I come to CD?" is very simple indeed.

You can come in September this year! 

There are a LOT of very cheap pre-85 (or even better, pre-78) bikes out there for sale, just waiting to be bought and ridden at CD10.  8)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2013, 10:44:35 am »
one thing I have noticed in general across this forum is that we have a knack of non acceptance - we want to change what ever somebody has gone out fo their way to do - be it CD, pre 75 rules, Evo rules or whatever - and we like to moan about it rather than actually do soemthing constuctive - but even than if we get knocked back can't accept it.

If I want to put a meeting together and only ask along Honda rides - thats my prerogative - if you don't like it then don't come.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2013, 10:49:26 am »

Nathan, there are other reasons than pure commercial or popularity ones for the Pre-85 cutoff.  Simple as that and those reasons determine how Classic Dirt is run.

Clearly.

I have no doubt that pre-85-only is driven primarily by Ken's (and possibly your own) disinterest in/dislike of pre-90 - as is entirely your right as the event promoters.

Aside from the inevitable forum chest beating, I was hoping that the 'take home message' from my ramblings, for you & Ken would be that there are clear negatives to the continued exclusion of pre-90 bikes, and that maybe they outweigh the ideological positives of pre-85-only.

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2013, 11:21:15 am »
I have no doubt that pre-85-only is driven primarily by Ken's (and possibly your own) disinterest in/dislike of pre-90 - as is entirely your right as the event promoters. so says Nathan.

Nathan, I''m quite happy for you to fill as many pages as you wish on your views on anything, go for your life mate.  But please, do not presume to know my views or speak on my behalf, you have absolutely no idea on whether I like or dislike Pre '90, or know my opinions on any other matter.  To put forward what you think are my opinions on a public forum is both incredibly ignorant and arrogant.

Ken

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2013, 12:28:56 pm »
Here's the thing Ken: You're the editor/main writer for an international magazine, and a semi-regular contributor to these forums.
Everyone's attitudes and opinions bleed through into the words they write - and you write far more (and far more referenced) stuff than most of us.

Everyone here has a good idea of your views on pre-90, just like everyone who has read your editorials or your posts or otherwise has interacted with you does.

The faux outrage does nothing to convince me otherwise, particularly when you couldn't even bring yourself to refute my belief.

Offline XR

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2013, 12:33:21 pm »
Nathan is your head made of concrete?  It's a pre85 event, end of story....... :-\

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2013, 12:41:26 pm »
The faux outrage does nothing to convince me otherwise, particularly when you couldn't even bring yourself to refute my belief. 
Unbelievable.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2013, 12:52:35 pm »
Here's the thing Ken: You're the editor/main writer for an international magazine, and a semi-regular contributor to these forums.
Everyone's attitudes and opinions bleed through into the words they write - and you write far more (and far more referenced) stuff than most of us.

Everyone here has a good idea of your views on pre-90, just like everyone who has read your editorials or your posts or otherwise has interacted with you does.

Nathan, this is where you let yourself down IMHO.

I know Ken very well and I wouldn't BEGIN to presume what he thinks about anything.  :o