Author Topic: When can I come to CD?  (Read 19071 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: When can I come to CD?
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2013, 04:32:42 pm »
There is not one single logical argument against it, especially when you're using the argument that "hardly any pre-90s will turn up"
Not at all - my patience for slapping down red herrings exceeds anyone's supply of red herrings.
Well now that that's settled I'm going to sit out on the back verandah and stab myself repeatedly with a fork. It seems a better way to waste my time than this discussion and it could possibly turn out to be more fun ::).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2013, 04:35:23 pm »
Cuppa tea time  :)
Best is in the West !!

Offline XR

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2013, 04:37:08 pm »

It seems a better way to waste my time than this discussion and it could possibly turn out to be more fun .

It's not like the blue liquid and the chalk, is it!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:57:21 pm by XR »

IT400C

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »
Why is it even vaguely contentious?

Pre-90 is in the rule book.

Don't care - we have good events now - why change them

Pre-90 is in the magazine.

Covered by Ken's earlier reply

Pre-90 hurts nobody at a non-competitive event.

Who cares - we have enough entrants without them.

There is not one single logical argument against it, especially when you're using the argument that "hardly any pre-90s will turn up".

I'm sorry Nathan, but you have not presented a single logical argument for it, especially when you're asking for a change to what is demonstrably a very successful formula.  And then you try and repudiate a statement about the level of support shown by Pre 90 riders on your assertion to the contrary alone, when all the available evidence over the last two years shows that to to be a fallacy.

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 04:58:48 pm »
As I only started riding in the early 80's, pre 85 and pre 90 are logically my era.

Including pre 90 in something like CD may reduce the number of older bikes (pre 80 that is) that will or be able to attend and from my own personal perspective, I like looking at these older bikes more than pre 90 as I saw these when they were new and honestly they all look a little bit alike (except for ones such as the malbora yamaha's etc).

I thought the point was to get more older bikes out of the shed and onto the track, to get more people into the sport and on these older bikes and this may not be achieved by including newer pre 90 bikes at a showcase event such as CD as compared to a race meeting.

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2013, 04:59:30 pm »
Hopefully it is just a indication of who frequents the forum here , but I tell you, I feel like getting all my VMX's and mothballing them or selling them.

I am not trying to force my way into CD and I understand more now that it is a Pre-85 event and not an all in  .. I respect that.

What is f&*ed is the attitude to fellow riders ...  kinda you know "we'll give you a call when we need you to make up the numbers"...cheers guys... Ah you guys only have 20 riders etc

Everyone has jumped on Nathan and myself with the exception of Bill and some other smoother opinions....  over fundamentally us expressing a desire to be validated as a vintage class...

Pretty shit to be marginalized in what is the same as what all Pre-85 guys do ...race, repair,...repeat...

I know i have had enough...delete me Grahame .... I'll go and race Enduro and Moderns....

TM BILL

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2013, 05:08:52 pm »
Lets try this a different way just for Nathan  ::)

The event is already pre 1990 as are as far as im aware are most VMX and Vinduro events  :)

Its just that the majority including the CD events do not cater for post 1984 bikes and this works remarkably well  :D

Not 6 months ago they had an national event for EVO upto pre 90 and it was oversubscribed by the pre 90 brigade oh thats right it had to be canned AGAIN as there were fork all entries  ::)

Im sure it will come but going by the fact the first too post classic nats were shit canned due to lack of support hardly shows a growth of this pre 90 deal does it .

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:13:25 pm by TM bill »

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »
Lets try this a different way just for Nathan  ::)

Not 6 months ago they had an national event for EVO upto pre 90 and it was oversubscribed by the pre 90 brigade oh thats right it had to be canned AGAIN as there were fork all entries  ::)

Im sure it will come but going by the fact the first too post classic nats were shit canned due to lack of support hardly shows a growth of this pre 90 deal does it .

Sorry Bill but I think you have it wrong there. As far as I know the numbers for the Pre '90 class while not being oversubscribed were respectable. This is despite the fact that Pre '90 in NSW, the host state, is in its formative years.

The event failed because there were low entry numbers across the board.

Pre '90 is growing. But it is only growing at the pace that Pre '85 did when it was introduced. And in NSW Pre '85 had the luxury of being included from the start by an established VMX club. I recall HEAVEN Pre '85 races with 10 - 15 entries and "all in". Very much the same we have right now with our Pre '90 races today. Pre '85 grew to become probably the most supported era's and the same will happen with Pre '90. It's just that it may take a little longer due to the fact that we have to find events we can tack on to at the moment.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2013, 05:39:04 pm »

TM BILL

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2013, 05:45:59 pm »
Fair  enough Shaun i stand corrected  :-[ also i apologise to all as that last post came across all wrong and was said out of frustration with my mate from Yass . Im not anti Pre 90 ( uesd to be and dont know why really ) but it is a cool era and its time will come  at all events .

We are actually looking at bringing pre 90 into our upcoming series over here .

I think the CD events are special and the format works well, i can see if i had a 86, 87 model it would be dissapointing not to be able to take it along and showcase it .

Ill butt out now as i have said my piece and will only let Nathan wind me up and put another daft post like the last one  ::)

Nathan you win

Peace out

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2013, 05:46:13 pm »
Kev I actually clicked on that link ..... wasted a further 7 seconds over this thread  ;-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Simo63

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2013, 05:57:59 pm »
What is f&*ed is the attitude to fellow riders ...  kinda you know "we'll give you a call when we need you to make up the numbers"...cheers guys... Ah you guys only have 20 riders etc

Everyone has jumped on Nathan and myself with the exception of Bill and some other smoother opinions....  over fundamentally us expressing a desire to be validated as a vintage class...

Pretty shit to be marginalized in what is the same as what all Pre-85 guys do ...race, repair,...repeat...

I know i have had enough...delete me Grahame .... I'll go and race Enduro and Moderns....

3858 don't be like that, nobody has had a go at you or Nathan.  You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else but when they don't agree don't pack up your bat and ball and go home mate.

Here is what I wrote, repeated here for simplicity:

There is no Pre-95 scene that I am aware of and no one is advocating one. 

Go back 10 years and there was no Pre 90 either.  And I think pre 85 was a bit on the nose in some circles. (still is in a club up this way at the moment).

Look I'm not having a go at pre 90 (god I have 1 or 2 of these bikes myself and really enjoyed racing my 89 CR250 last weekend at the Classic) but I will say that these things change over time as is the natural progression of things.  In my humble opinion, pre 90 is just starting to be popular and in 10 years time it will be a very accepted part of the sport and pre 95 might be banging on the door??  Who knows but it's likely we will have this same discussion then  :)

The above was said with the best intentions and not having a go at you, Nathan or anyone else for that matter.  At the Conondale Classic last weekend there appeared to be as many pre 90 bikes as there were pre 85 or Evo .... it's definitely a growing class and one that contributed to the record number of entrants.  I rode my 89 CR250 along with my other older bikes and loved it.  I know sitting on the pre 90 250 grid that it was jammed packed ... so much so that I got knocked off the damn bike within 30 metres of the start as the grid was a full 40 bikes.  Bloody shoulder is still hurting like a bitch  :(

Anyway, like I said, pre 90 will have it's day as will pre 95 and pre 2000 eventually.  The older bikes and their riders will drop in numbers and as such it is natural progression for new, younger riders to come into the sport over time.

BUT if you want to accelerate that process then there is absolutely nothing stopping you from creating your own pre 90 VMX series.  In fact one could argue that may speed up the adoption of the pre 90 class into the mainstream VMX (and Vinduro in reference to the other Veri thread) scene.

Cheers
Simo

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2013, 07:38:04 pm »
What a weird thread!  CD is Pre 85 because the promoter wishes it so. It's purely their call when to move to Pre 90. Is it good for the mag? Who knows, but again the promoter can evaluate that. Remember, while the event is fully subscribed, or close to that, any Pre 90 entry stops a Pre 85 entry.

VMX magazine including Pre 90 is probably largely a commercial decision - by broadening the appeal there is a larger market base. There will be a trade-off - if Pre 90 reduces Pre 85 coverage, will it turn off older readers? Perhaps. This is a balancing act the publisher will need to assess according to the P+L bottom line.

3858, this is a forum and there is always this sort of stuff on forums. No-one is having a shot at you personally and nor does it reflect any broader consensus within the VMX community. It's just a forum.

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 07:45:56 pm »
Hopefully it is just a indication of who frequents the forum here , but I tell you, I feel like getting all my VMX's and mothballing them or selling them.

I am not trying to force my way into CD and I understand more now that it is a Pre-85 event and not an all in  .. I respect that.

I would say the guys riding pre 90 would be younger and be seen as the future of the sport?

Just a opinion but doesn't pre 90 grow the sport?
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2013, 07:49:40 pm »
3858, Come out to Nepean on a stgeorge club day and race dirttrack. pre90 open, unlimited and over 35's.You will get atleast 6 races in and walk away from each race with a dirttrackers grin
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...