Author Topic: Future VERi bike eligibility?  (Read 44582 times)

EBT

Re: Future VERi bike eligibility?
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2013, 10:11:55 pm »
There's a great website for Vinduro discussions like this ,that maybe a good place to insert this debat into  ;) 
                 http://www.endurobiketalk.com/forum/

You get banned for having an opinion on that forum. Trust me it's happened to myself and others several times. In the end I resigned on stress leave. Spent my time more constructively with my mates Paul, Linda and Wings and wrote a great song about it called "Banned On the Forum". ;D

Your nose must be 4" long by now Maicoman   ..... By the way how many Victorian Vinduro's have you travelled to ?? try supporting those that support you.......

Here is a poll from way back in 2010 be interesting to do another one I reckon.

http://endurobiketalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2824.0

Cheers Mick.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2013, 10:36:32 pm »
I dunno Mick - your poll was clearly designed to obtain a particular outcome.

But I'll repeat: My main concern is that VERi is going to throw away a lot of what makes Vinduros good, if they introduce VMX style officialdom.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

EBT

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2013, 10:45:07 pm »
I dunno Mick - your poll was clearly designed to obtain a particular outcome.

But I'll repeat: My main concern is that VERi is going to throw away a lot of what makes Vinduros good, if they introduce VMX style officialdom.

O I don't think it was Nathan, It covered Pre 85 Vinduro, Pre 85 & follow on's and Pre 90, clearly at the time Pre 85 & Pre 85 & follow on's won the day.

Like I said I would be happy to see another one posted to get the current vibe.

Cheers Mick.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2013, 12:06:30 am »
Eh, wrong poll, sorry Mick.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Montynut

« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2013, 12:58:25 am »
Guys the one thing that I learnt from the 2013 Post Classic MX Titles this years is that Online Forums are absolutely and positively the worst possible place to get anything like a real representation of what is good, bad, needed or required in a meeting, series, event or club.

I have nothing to do with VERi don't even know who is running it, but they have got off there arses and put their time and effort into organising Vinduros as best they can using I image a vast amount of experience.

Will it be perfect? Probably not

Will it satisfy every single rider with an old bike? Probably not

Will it be successful? I hope so

Will the 'rules' given that it is not a competition evolve and change? almost certainly

Has the Vinduro sport/pass time reached the point where a little firming up of gudelines is required? Certainly has

Can we wait around until every detail is absolutely positively perfect in every way for every rider at every event? Never going to happen

Will there be mistakes made? Absolutely

So get involved in helping to run them instead of throwing darts SHEESH
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:24:23 am by Montynut »

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2013, 07:28:52 am »
Must be me. ??? ???

We are talking Vinduro's  here in this post originated by Nathan aren't we?
Not mx or something else.

You know the NON competitive social trail ride that passes for a proper enduro but is nothing like a real one.
The event that was invented to give old enduro riders something to do to reinforce their memories.

Cheers
Mike
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

albrid-3

« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2013, 07:37:58 am »
Guys the one thing that I learnt from the 2013 Post Classic MX Titles this years is that Online Forums are absolutely and positively the worst possible place to get anything like a real representation of what is good, bad, needed or required in a meeting, series, event or club.

I have nothing to do with VERi don't even know who is running it, but they have got off there arses and put their time and effort into organising Vinduros as best they can using I image a vast amount of experience.

Will it be perfect? Probably not

Will it satisfy every single rider with an old bike? Probably not

Will it be successful? I hope so

Will the 'rules' given that it is not a competition evolve and change? almost certainly

Has the Vinduro sport/pass time reached the point where a little firming up of gudelines is required? Certainly has

Can we wait around until every detail is absolutely positively perfect in every way for every rider at every event? Never going to happen

Will there be mistakes made? Absolutely

So get involved in helping to run them instead of throwing darts SHEESH
Now that is a wise Man, I would honor him to be in my club and Team any day.( Please embrace what we have, it will only get better.)

TM BILL

« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2013, 07:42:31 am »
Must be me. ??? ???

We are talking Vinduro's  here in this post originated by Nathan aren't we?
Not mx or something else.

You know the NON competitive social trail ride that passes for a proper enduro but is nothing like a real one.
The event that was invented to give old enduro riders something to do to reinforce their memories.

Cheers
Mike

So where do you draw the line then Mike ? im 50 something and have done / do ride enduros and trail rides  ,so does that make me an old enduro rider ? . And can I ride my 2006 YZ250F ( fitted with a headlamp ) at these events as its purely social  ??? My 2006  YZ is water cooled , has disc brakes front and rear, adjustable rear shock and upside down forks , just like most 1989 models so it must be a flow on model  ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:44:49 am by TM bill »

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2013, 08:00:31 am »
There's a great website for Vinduro discussions like this ,that maybe a good place to insert this debat into  ;) 
                 http://www.endurobiketalk.com/forum/

You get banned for having an opinion on that forum. Trust me it's happened to myself and others several times. In the end I resigned on stress leave. Spent my time more constructively with my mates Paul, Linda and Wings and wrote a great song about it called "Banned On the Forum". ;D

Your nose must be 4" long by now Maicoman   ..... By the way how many Victorian Vinduro's have you travelled to ?? try supporting those that support you.......

Here is a poll from way back in 2010 be interesting to do another one I reckon.

http://endurobiketalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2824.0

Cheers Mick.

What's the point of a link if you can't log in?

Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2013, 08:17:28 am »
So where do you draw the line then Mike ? im 50 something and have done / do ride enduros and trail rides  ,so does that make me an old enduro rider ? . And can I ride my 2006 YZ250F ( fitted with a headlamp ) at these events as its purely social  ??? My 2006  YZ is water cooled , has disc brakes front and rear, adjustable rear shock and upside down forks , just like most 1989 models so it must be a flow on model  ;)

I covered the point where we MUST draw the line in an earlier posting.
If the bike is newer than pre-90 then it MUST be excluded because our events are run as MA Historic events
and our bikes would not comply with the modern Enduro rules in the MoMS.

With this in mind, the discussion SHOULD be;
what the cut-off date should be so that the events include as many models that are in the spirit of Vinduro
and also whether there should be specific models included or excluded.
ie. there is no reason why the rules cannot be pre-85 and specifically mention that even though the TT350 is outside this cut-off it is allowed because it is just as much in the spirit of what a Vinduro bike is as a IT200 or XR350.
Also there is no reason why the rules cannot be pre-88 and specifically exclude models because they are not in the spirit of Vinduro.
And as Nathan has suggested there is no reason why the rules cannot specifically exclude models because they have a technology such as rear disk brake.
And there is no reason why the rules cannot specifically allow technology to be fitted to these bikes that may not have been available in the Era such as Bark Busters if that is what is wanted by some entrants.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2013, 09:17:16 am »
Forums are good for debating issues, they can bring up some points that might not otherwise have been thought of.

Victorian Vinduro’s have always been advertised as Pre 85 from day one and there has always been debate about what is ‘spirit of the era’ but I take offence at being called cliquey because pre 85 happened to have been chosen over 5 years ago.

How hard will VERi come down on some post 85 models, well that remains to be seen.

VERi is only a few months old and we are trying to formulate a positive way for the future, we may or may not get things right all the time but I assure you we have the best intentions for the future of old Enduro / Trail bikes and there riders at heart.

Our new website is under construction and we have intentions of listing eligible models so as to clarify eligibility better. This will let people know where they stand and hopefully take away the current confusion.
We will be willing to listen to constructive criticism but not abuse.

Despite having approx 200 riders at Harrow only ¼ of them were bona fide members with the rest receiving honorary membership for the day.
We are cool with this as we are trying to grow the sport without ripping everyone a new one but in time it will be necessary to be a full member like every other club usually insists on.
Will we be accused of being hard to get on with when we insist on membership? Time will tell.

If you would like to support VERi you will find membership forms here on our old website that is still running for the moment…
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B834Ap3O8vMdcDN0REl2UjBreGc/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Geoff Morris
VERi Treasurer.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2013, 09:17:37 am »

Trials tyres only. So you will volunteer to push all these bikes up the first greasy hill then.

By all means make it Pre 85 if you wish but the rest of your recommendation is ridiculous
[/quote]

2 riders in our team had Dot tyre's on and had no trouble getting Up or Down any of the
    Hills at Harrow.
    Its the damage done to the Course that is the problem ...
     Into and out of Corners it was huge....
      The Stig

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2013, 09:33:35 am »
It seems quite easy to me. The line needs to be drawn at 12/89 models for legal/insurance reasons as Mark Boddy has said previously. Why exclude people who want to have a go but have a post '85 bike?

Ads
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2013, 10:17:31 am »
Bill, it's easy: 1/90 or newer is out, thanks to MA rules.

There's also lots of "soft enforcement" options for 85~89 models, rather than simply saying "go home".
The carry-over rule is the most obvious.
Others include things like "you can ride, no problem, but you won't get a medal" or "that bike uses technology that was available in 1984 so it's OK", or simply to continue to turn a blind eye.

The directly competitive nature of MX stops these being fair options for VMX, but there's no problem in a competitive "against the clock" event like an Enduro, so theres certainly no problem for a non-competitive trailride.

What does VERi hope will be gained by adopting a VMX style eligibility criteria?

------

It's also worth pointing out that there were several moderns ripping around at Harrow. Their riders were wearing fluro vests, of course, but it proves that ineligible bikes don't ruin the event...

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2013, 10:23:16 am »
It's also worth pointing out that there were several moderns ripping around at Harrow. Their riders were wearing fluro vests, of course, but it proves that ineligible bikes don't ruin the event...

These guys are called sweep ::) riders
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle