Author Topic: Future VERi bike eligibility?  (Read 44406 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Future VERi bike eligibility?
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:25:55 pm »
I've been hearing murmurs, figured it would be best to come out and ask:

From the very first Vinduro, eligibility hasn't been a big issue - I haven't been to a single Vinduro where there hasn't been at least one bike that's too new for the pre-85 cut-off.
While the events are non-competitive, the numbers of rule benders low, and the degree of rule bending has also been low, it's been easy to ignore.

Personally, I think this has worked well*, and is one of the good points of the Vinduro scene - it avoids the petty squabbling over the rule book that plagues the VMX world.

How does VERi plan to address this issue into to the future?

Is there any movement toward allowing pre-90 bikes to participate in Vinduros?

http://www.iphoneogram.com/p/481212843641881443_300072127

*In the interests of full disclosure: I have ridden an '86 model bike at one Vinduro, but only after my '84 model broke down.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Future VERi bike eligibility?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:54:14 pm »
Nathan

I have to ask, i maybe a little slow, or something has gone right over my head.

But, what has "GAY Marriage" got to do with the addition of Pre 90 and ineligible Pre 85 bikes?

your link??

I also would like to know the outcome of the rumor, but I think i know Drakies opinion already:) NO:)

lol
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:57:44 pm »

http://www.iphoneogram.com/p/481212843641881443_300072127

Bwahahahaha  ... err .... ummm ... Nathan ... you seem to be in a mood for full disclosure .... are you trying to tell us something  ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:59:16 pm by Simo63 »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:05:12 pm »
it avoids the petty squabbling over the rule book that plagues the VMX world
Plague is a big word Nathan. I've seen more eligibility hissy fits on this forum in six years than  I've seen at the track in 25 years. Eligibility dramas are mostly a forum beat ups, we rarely see them at the track.

As far as vinduro's I totally agree...keep it simple. One thing that has bothered me a little is the all encompassing pre 85 cutoff. As with my VMX and VDT, I have a leaning towards the older classes so I'd like to see some sort of place for older short travel (pre 75-78) bikes to be used, whether it be separate events for short travel bikes or simplified sections for the simpler bikes.
Has there been much attention given to the older enduro bike? Because vinduro's are non competitive events it probably isn't a priority but because of the pre 85 cutoff I presume that most vinduro punters would err towards the newer and more off-road friendly bikes, I'm just as guilty, my own under (slow) construction Vinduro bike is an IT250H with upgraded 43mm forks and 2ls front brake. I'd love a simpler course to ride my DT1 too but I wouldn't like to ride it on the same course designed for long travel bikes (sound familiar ;D).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:11:15 pm »
Nathan

You figured correctly and its best to enquire with the Veri club committee members and not listen to rumours. You can contact me anytime

Following a very recent committee meeting , we at Veri are in the process of producing the Veri club guidelines , the guidelines shall clarify the years , models and type of bikes that will be eligible including follow on models etc.

We are aiming to clarify most things and most importantly to keep it reliatively simple.

I can confirm prior to the guidelines being available that , It will be a definite pre-85 cut-off .

Shoey
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 04:19:38 pm »
Leave pre 85 Vinduro alone, it's working fine. 

albrid-3

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 04:22:26 pm »
One Fellow was riding his neat yamaha DT1, and what I saw he went well., there was also ts 125, dt 100, up to 250, montesa mountaineer cota, Triumph 500 twin. Honda Tl trials bikes, etc.
I had a ball.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 04:22:36 pm »
Leave pre 85 Vinduro alone, it's working fine.

Sounds good to me:)
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

EBT

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 04:30:40 pm »
Vinduro in my mind will only ever be PRE 85 bikes, if there going to have a more modern class on old enduro bikes then call it something else and I will go out and look for a more modern enduro bike to ride in the Pre 90, Pre 95 etc class-social event

Mick.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:36:08 pm by EBT »

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 05:05:20 pm »
That 86 model XR350 on the cover of VMX magazine looks good ehh.

I note that in NSW a vehicle has to be 30 years old to be classed as vintage (only 25 in Victoria and not sure about other states) which makes 84 model bikes ineligible at this point in time. As enduro bikes had to be registered 'back in the day', it would seem reasonable to adopt a ruling compliant with the legislation in each state (or common to all if you wish to think in terms of Australia as one nation). That takes out the 'its all about me' mentality, places a club as an identity in its own right that will survive past the original brilliant idea and membership of its original stakeholders, as some riders are older / younger and relate to different machinery. Only my opinion of course.

Of course VERi can do what it pleases; it's articles of association state 'pre 85 bikes' and 'non competitive' events in places, or change its mind when it wishes.

Shame really, as I love riding my 87 WR400. (and my 83 xc250, 84 AE 500 and my 85 R80G/SPD (it's a carry over model:))

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 06:16:31 pm »
This is my take on it as a NSWelshman and seeing that I'm currently working on the details for an upcoming vinduro I think the ruling should be at the discretion of the organiser. I am all for pre-90. As a few have mentioned this is not racing, just social riding. It appears that this pre-85 rule is something adopted from the vmx scene. I had a good discussion about this with a few guys at the bike show at Sutto's recently.
   I put this to you then. When Firko and others got VMX going in 1988 approx, Pre 75 and 70 bikes were 13-18 years old respectfully. Now 2013, we have Pre-90 bikes which are 23years old. So when does someone get up and say that a Pre-90 bike is eligable, cause from where I'm sitting it's already eligable. Bikes did not fundamentally change that much since 1985 to 1990. Sure we had rear disc and some upside down forks but so did KTM back in 84.
  Wayne XC83 has mentioned that he enjoys riding his 87 WR400. So if he turns up at my event am I going to turn him away because his bike is not Pre-85, F#CK NO!!! I would rather have him join in and enjoy the event than have him turned away. I think it's time to move with the times and promote the Vinduro scene in NSW and that means being flexible to the riders needs not the organisors wants.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:20:10 pm by Maicoman »
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 06:18:40 pm »
I am not either a Pre85 or Pre90 state of mind but I respect people that are.

I have both in VMX and Vinduro and always try to run in the spirit of those around me and the vintage that is being represented.

At Harrow there were bikes clearly post 85 and others that were so modern in the bolt on's that they rankled my senses but I didn't feel too enraged....

One thought I would like to put forward is a class of bikes known as 'exceptions'...  A number no more than 5 percent of the field that showcases some of the post 85 Enduro weapons.... Entered at the discretion of the event organisers or some other ballot?  An' 89 Cagiva a or a 87 Husky?

Having only been involved with the scene in the last couple of years I probably have missed complications more obvious to others but perhaps this is a way of slowly evolving the Vintage scene rather than consigning it to a particular time....

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »
I see where your coming from Maicoman. It's absolutely not my intention to stir the pot here but should it be a moving 25 year gap IE its 2013 minus 25 equals 1988 and it moves along every year. Bear in mind that Vinduro is not competitive so any performance advantage of a newer model bike is not an issue. Just a thought. J PS I ride a 1975 bike

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 06:48:44 pm »
Nada, was it too obscure?
Basic point was that if someone wants to ride a newer old bike at a non-competitive event, then it makes no difference to me - in fact, it makes as little difference as the Sub someone else orders for themself (or who they choose to marry).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 06:59:23 pm »
Can someone explain the reason pre 85 was selected as a cut off. I am struggling to think of the relevance as all technologies were around then - water cooled, single shock, disc brakes, USD forks, high performance 4 strokes. What am I missing or is it just one of those arbitrary lines drawn in the sands of time? I only have 1 pre 90 bike so I am quite happy with the rule but am curious now it has been debated here. Thanks  8)
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE