Author Topic: Future VERi bike eligibility?  (Read 44408 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Future VERi bike eligibility?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »
I counted at least ten bikes at Harrow that didn't fit the VMX-style criteria of 'Pre-85 and mechanically identical carry-overs' - about 5% of the field.
(I didn't check this time, but previous experiences makes me sure a number of the KDXes, XRs and ITs were using the unwritten carry-over rule).

First question is: Does the sport/the event benefit by turning those people away?
Second question is: Did anyone have less fun because those bikes were there? If you answered Yes, then I'm genuinely interested to know how/why they diminished your fun.

Don't get me wrong - if someone turned up on a KTM450EXC, then they have no place as a "competitor" at a vinduro. But I struggle to get upset at the idea of someone on an 86 XR350 enjoying themselves...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 07:08:57 pm »
To me Pre 85 is a suspension cut off.
A 86 Honda was much different to a 85 mostly because of the cartridge fork. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 07:14:06 pm »
The beauty of Vinduro is in its simplicity. Not competitive. No scrutineering. No flag marshalling.Ride when you feel like it. Apart from safety there are absolutely no rules to adhere to. No pressure. This is what is appealing to plenty of people that have got into it.

If it is Pre 85 bring a 84 or older. If Pre 90 bring a 89. I personally don't give a toss what anyone else rides, as long as they are there having a bit of fun. I ride a 84 KX 500 with a non working headlight, arguably the worst 'single trail ' mount on the planet and certainly not a trail / enduro bike. I ride it because on these Vinduro rides you can actually get into top gear on some sections, unlike our VMX tracks where only two gears are used. I am looking forward to Cookardinia, nice and open.

81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 07:14:53 pm »

My 81 has cartridge fork
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 07:27:21 pm »
I think, and correct me if im wrong!

The idea is to drag out the older bikes, EG: Pre 80 etc

If it was pre 90, everyone would just ride pre 90 Japanese machines due to the travel and the bikes handle better etc etc.

all we would see is the Big 5 and few Husky's:)

Its nice to see the old Euro bikes making a presence, i personally wouldn't ride one, but i like to look and admire them.

if it was pre 90, i'll only see Jap bikes:)

Just my opinion:)
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 07:27:39 pm »

Two 1986 models is not enough to write the rules around, particularly considering the way cartridge emulators do quite a good job of bridging the gap between damper rod forks and cartridge forks.
And not to mention the popularity of fitting cartridge forks to pre-85 Hondas anyhow...

The pre-85 VMX cut-off was simply the 5-year round number.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 07:28:49 pm »
Nada, was it too obscure?
Basic point was that if someone wants to ride a newer old bike at a non-competitive event, then it makes no difference to me - in fact, it makes as little difference as the Sub someone else orders for themself (or who they choose to marry).

Ahhh Ha i see your point: Like i said "Straight over the top of my head" :):):)
Cheers

Nada

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 07:41:09 pm »
I think, and correct me if im wrong!

The idea is to drag out the older bikes, EG: Pre 80 etc

If it was pre 90, everyone would just ride pre 90 Japanese machines due to the travel and the bikes handle better etc etc.

all we would see is the Big 5 and few Husky's:)

Its nice to see the old Euro bikes making a presence, i personally wouldn't ride one, but i like to look and admire them.

if it was pre 90, i'll only see Jap bikes:)

Just my opinion:)

People choose bikes for a variety of reasons, but almost everyone's bike choice will fit into one or more of the following three groups:
It's what they own;
It's what think is the "best" bike for the class/event;
It's something that turns them on.

Not everyone is out to "win", especially at a Vinduro. If they were, we would already be entirely dominated by converted 1984 model 250cc MXers and 1984 Euro enduro bikes (KTM250GS & Husky WR400s in particular).
If everyone was out to win, nobody would turn up on Motorsport XLs, TL250s, TS-anythings, XL185s, XR200s, Thunder Dogs, Rokons, SL125s, or any of the zillion other "uncompetitive" bikes we regularly see at Vinduros.

Changing to pre-90 would not change that.

I'm not particularly advocating a move to pre-90, but the reasoning behind a strict pre-85 cut-off is not clear to me.

albrid-3

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 07:49:29 pm »
Well, I thought it was nice to see the DKW/ Sachs being ridden, if it was vintage motocross that DKW would have been left in the shed. Vinduro is great people are bring out any model bike, as for vmx its not surviving,  yes I will give it another 10 years. vintage motocross will be struggling.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:03:46 pm by Dave #6 »

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 07:54:04 pm »
As Shoey has already mentioned, all VERi events will be running a pre85 format with a list of eligible flow ons soon to be drawn up and set in stone. Pre 85 means bikes that were built with a m/y designation of 1984 or before, not 1985 models that your particular example of was manufactured in 1984. If you're uncertain of your bikes eligibility than the list will be there for you to refer to, if it doesn't appear as a recognised flow on then IT CANT BE RIDDEN AT A VERi EVENT. VERi doesn't wish to exclude anyone but its inevitable that a few here or there might miss out. Like everything else in life Vinduro must have parameters and at this point in time and for the foreseeable future the above mentioned parameters are what shall be laid down as far as VERi events go. Discussion may carry on here obviously but it will not sway what has been discussed at length and agreed on, for the information of interested parties VERi has committee member Paul Kalika (Canam370 on OzVmx) who is VP and designated eligibility consultant, he may be contacted anytime if you wish to make any further enquires.

Regards, Brendan
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:57:13 pm by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

oldfart

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 07:59:07 pm »
Nathan .... in a nut shell pre 85 is very similar to  ( Evo VMX )   air cooled drum brakes and twin shocks.
 " If it's not broken Don't play with it"     

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 08:05:01 pm »
As Shoey has already mentioned, all VERi events will be running a pre85 format with a list of eligible flow ons soon to be drawn up and set in stone. Pre 85 means bikes that were built with a m/y designation of 1984 or before, not 1985 models that your particular example of was manufactured in 1984. If you're uncertain of your bikes eligibility than the list will be there for you to refer to, if it doesn't appear as a recognised flow on then IT CANT BE RIDDEN AT A VERi EVENT. VERi doesn't wish to exclude anyone but its inevitable that a few here or there might miss out. Like everything else in life Vinduro must have parameters and at this point in time and for the foreseeable future the above mentioned parameters are what shall be laid down as far as VERi events go. Discussion may carry on here obviously but it will not sway what has been discussed at length and agreed on, for the information of interested parties VERi has committee member Paul Kalika (Canam370 on OzVmx) who is VP and designated eligibility consultant, he may be contacted anytime if you wish to make any further enquires.

Regards, Brendan

Cool, Cool I can handle that:)
Cheers

Nada

EBT

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 08:12:50 pm »
for the information of interested parties VERi has committee member Paul Kalika (Canam370 on OzVmx) who is VP and designated eligibility consultant, he may be contacted anytime if you wish to make any further enquires.

That is good news to hear Paul has taken on the eligibility for Vinduro at VERi events as I know he likes the Pre 85 bikes in Vinduro

Long live Vinduro Pre 85

Cheers Mick.

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 08:24:15 pm »
Burn the witch!

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 08:33:23 pm »
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!