Author Topic: What Happened To The Broadford Track Last Weekend?  (Read 9718 times)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
What Happened To The Broadford Track Last Weekend?
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:04:19 pm »
Watched a video of the highlights from Broadford Aussie MX title event last weekend. Having ridden the track more times than I wish to recall under various climatic conditions, I didn't even recognise the track in the video as actually being Broadford, I actually had to check that it was Broadford in Victoria, not somewhere else in Australia.

What happened? Did it rain for days on end in the lead up to the event or something? I've never seen anything like that before.

http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/05/20/moss-claims-win-at-broadford-highlights
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: What Happened To The Broadford Track Last Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:20:15 pm »
Typical of many modern meetings where they water the shite out of the track overnight and turn it into a mud meeting then a one lined rut fest..

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:24:27 pm »
Typical of many modern meetings where they water the shite out of the track overnight and turn it into a mud meeting then a one lined rut fest..

They must have done because we had stuff all rain that weekend
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:29:47 pm »
They sure did,with a few extra truck loads.Good to see our money going into something of relevance. Hope its like that for HBBB 2014  :P edit oh heck thats rough,only saw last weeks articles and pics.exta suspension extreme oh  :o

Australia's iconic home of motorcycle sport, the State Motorcycle Sports Complex, will welcome the nation’s best motocross riders when Round 3 of the 2013 Monster Energy MX Nationals takes place at Broadford on Sunday, May 19.

Broadford’s motocross track has been completely rebuilt over the past month with tons of soil having been dumped and shaped into the track.

Broadford

’s State Motorcycle Sports Complex is owned and managed by Motorcycling Victoria, the State Controlling Body for motorcycle sport.

“A lot of preparation has been done to the track to get it ready for the MX Nationals." Broadford’s State Motorcycle Sports Complex manager Justin Bromley said. "We have also built a new top section of the track, which hasn’t been used since the last World 500cc Motocross Grand Prix in 2000.

“This has added an additional tabletop to the track as well as a few new turns, carving beams and whoops, in addition to about 300 metres of new track,” Justin added.

There has also been significant investment into the existing irrigation system, allowing for greater control of water management which will also minimise wastage.

“The new irrigation system will also significantly reduce the amount of time it will take to water the track, which will also allow for no disruptions to on-track activities,” Justin said.

“As part of the redevelopment, there is also a new mechanics area, which is located on top of Turn 3, ensuring that riders and their teams can communicate quicker, clearer and safer than ever before."

Due to the undulating nature of the track there are countless vantage points for spectator viewing, especially on top of the hill where you will be able to view the new top section up close; along the back-straight where you will be able to watch riders hit two tabletops, and alongside the Media Centre, which provides great views of the technical section halfway up the hill.

“All in all there is not a bad seat in the house!” Justin added.

Additional food and beverage locations have been added closer to the public areas.

“Developing a track of this standard is geared around future-proofing the facility. Not only will this allow us to host events such as the MX Nationals, but offer and industry-leading facility for our current MV-affiliated clubs and users,” Justin continued.

“The redevelopment of the motocross track will keep us headed in the right direction to offer industry-leading facilities across the entire State Motorcycle Sports Complex.

MV’s Chief Executive Officer, Mr Andrew Weiss, has also been considerably impressed with the latest redevelopments to the motocross track at Broadford.

“The motocross track is in the best condition it has ever been. A lot of hard work has gone into bring the track up to a world-class standard. Weiss stated.

“It will be great to showcase the revamped surface at the MX Nationals on the weekend, and we will be working hard to maintain the quality and integrity of the facility all year round.

“All the MV staff at the SMSC have been working extremely hard to make sure that the track is at its best and will continue to do so, so that we can show off what is a wonderful facility," he added.

Motorcycling Victoria will also be holding a Minikhana Come ‘n’ Try Session at Broadford on Sunday, May 19.

“The session will be on the 50s track close to the lower entry gate,” MV’s Sport & Development Manager Paul Bray said.

“We have support from Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki who will provide some of their fun bikes to allow newcomers to the sport of motorcycling the chance to try out their next bike of choice!

“We also have a number of accredited coaches to assist kids and parents with information on bikes and gear to those interested in having a go - there is no reason to bring along your own bikes.”

“Any junior rider that is under 12-years-old that has started riding, and has their own gear, can also come along and enjoy a few laps before heading up to watch the main show on the motocross track,” Bray concluded.

CLICK HERE to view the new and improved Broadford motocross track at the State Motorcycling Sports Complex on Facebook.

Top Image: The new and improved motocross track at Broadford’s State Motorcycling Sports Complex.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:03:08 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 11:32:49 pm »
Am I to understand that human intervention not Mother Nature bought about the scenes that were witnessed in that video?
If that is the case, why? And what set of circumstances would make a management committee and a promotor put so much water on a race track that would make it degrade to such a point that it looked more like an enduro special test than a world class motocross circuit?
Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:57:02 am by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 11:38:16 pm »
A lot of preparation has been done to the track to get it ready for the MX Nationals......

There has also been significant investment into the existing irrigation system, allowing for greater control of water management which will also minimise wastage......

The new irrigation system will also significantly reduce the amount of time it will take to water the track, which will also allow for no disruptions to on-track activities......

The redevelopment of the motocross track will keep us headed in the right direction to offer industry-leading facilities......

It will be great to showcase the revamped surface at the MX Nationals on the weekend, and we will be working hard to maintain the quality and integrity of the facility all year round.......

I'm guessing that there re-thinking these pre race comments!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:44:32 pm by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

geoff22

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:47:24 am »
Shame they cant redevelop the toilet block along the road leading up the hill. It was shocking for HBBB and at 10am sunday morning of the Aust Mx champs it was just as bad . The new top section I would hardly say was rebuilt . It looked like they had just cut it with a blade. There was rocks tha size of footballs coming up in it and I had to yell out  to the mashall(who was doing a great job) a few times so he would then remove them. The PA system was non existant up the back straight and accross the top of the hill. I just think it could have been a bit better for the paying punter. I am fortunate enough to have a broadford medallion so only had to pay for my wife($30)and one son($20). In this day and age its not asking too much for a clean toilet and some commentary is it?

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:03:37 am »
I agree with everyone's thoughts, as an MV Board member I am trying to improve everything related to racing in this State, plus I am trying to improve matters out at Broadford.  BUT I cannot get the 'operations' side of MV to listen to me if the public or MV licence holders do not speak-up.

I will copy this thread to take to the next Board meeting but I really need licence holders to direct letters of complaint to the MV Board with a copy sent directly to me so that I can confirm that it does get raised at the Board meetings.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:18:16 am »
2010 VMX Nats?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »
I wish all the crap was sorted with Sporting MCC! Barrabool is the best track in Victoria with the best facilities and should hold the MX Nationals!!!
Broadford is a shithole, it alway was, is, and will be.

MA owns Barrabool, sort your shit out, use you best asset.

By the way, MA, stop being greedy wankers aswell!

Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline XR

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 04:33:41 pm »
MA will try and shut down Barrabool and sell the land, you watch...... Thats what they are working on right now.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 04:59:08 pm »
I don't think MA want to close down Barrabool, I think problems with the part owning clubs and noise complaints from a property developer nearby are causing issues?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 05:47:27 pm »
That is really forked up all I can say is WTF happen and please don't do it again.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 07:24:27 pm »
Track watering is a tough gig. 
You need to know the track and what preparation has been done to it so you can get the where and how much right.  Then a team who stays at it, not just leave the sprinklers on.  Sometimes hand watering is the only way to get it right. 
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:02:20 pm »
I don't think MA want to close down Barrabool, I think problems with the part owning clubs and noise complaints from a property developer nearby are causing issues?
John, sorry to burst your bubble but you have just repeated one of the many false rumours going round. The neighbours are not the enemy, that has already been sorted (not by MA though).

XR and Nada seem to know something most don't. Though just on that Nada, with the 'new' works recently done on the track (i.e. someone thought it would be a good idea to import rock infested dirt) then the 'best track' label may have to take a back seat for a while.

Also, 'best' asset may be better replaced with 'only'; any reference to Barrabool above the level of "s*^ful" at the moment just seems an oxymoron. 

Perhaps when the CEO changes later this year things may take a different tack?

This is going off topic though, happy for someone to start off a new thread if they want . . .