Author Topic: What Happened To The Broadford Track Last Weekend?  (Read 9708 times)

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: What Happened To The Broadford Track Last Weekend?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 10:47:57 pm »
Barrabool was 10x what Broadford is.  I dug out some old home videos and found some footage of some late nineties Thumper Nats.  The joint was rammed.  Cars everywhere, thousands of people.  Great atmosphere.  Any GP needs to go there.  Broadford is a goat track in comparison.

Here's a thought.  Even if noise is a slight issue, why not play to people's hearts and hold a 2 stroke national title at Barrabool?  They don't make half the noise.  Run what ya brung sort of thing.  It's the same novelty as the thumpers before those damn things became the norm.  How cool would it be to see some big names on some big bore 2 stroke creations?

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 10:56:03 am »
Emphatically, can anyone advise/comment/confirm if the;

1. Local conditions (ie rainfall) in the days leading up to this event.
or
2. Irrigation of the track.
or
3. A combination of both.

was the contributing factor to the condition of the track last weekend?
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 11:55:38 am »
Emphatically, can anyone advise/comment/confirm if the;

1. Local conditions (ie rainfall) in the days leading up to this event.
or
2. Irrigation of the track.
or
3. A combination of both.

was the contributing factor to the condition of the track last weekend?

Does it really matter either way?  What can we do to stop it happening again in the future?  I have my idea's about the place but my position on the MV Board prevents me from venting my thoughts.  Living 15 min from the track I would have to say '3', there were light showers each day that would have soaked down through the freshly laid soil, watering would have been needed to stop the surface layer drying and turning into dust.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 01:15:14 pm »
Whether the Barrabool or Broadford facility is better (or worse) than each other is irrelevant, the issue was raised to get an insight as too how the facility degraded to what was witnessed last weekend given that reports of no or very litle rain precipitated in the days leading up to the event. If indeed it rained for days leading up to the event then it is a moot point, but that appears to not be the case.

Via a press release from the state based management committee, it went to great lengths to tell the industry and its supporters how good the Broadford facility would be for the upcoming MX round at Broadford. Specific points were made of;
- A new more efficient irrigation  system was installed allowing for greater control of water management aimed at minimising wastage
- A lot of preparation was done to get it ready for the event
- Developing a track of this standard is geared around future-proofing the facility.
- The motocross track is in the best condition it has ever been and that a lot of hard work has gone into bringing the track up to a world-class standard

The industry and to a certain degree the riders will say (publically) that the track was “challenging” (or) “it rewarded individuals with skill & setup” (or) “preparation was the key to a good result”, the reality is that it was disappointing to see a national level facility deliver a  racing surface that from what we have been told needn’t have been.

This is not the first time that Broadford has been subjected to such scrutiny in both the lead up to (&) post an event. I can remember a HBBB where the track was flooded to a point where the overflow of the irrigated water coming off the track flooded the camping area. If my memory serves me correct a Vintage Motocross Nationals a few years back suffered the same fate.

Social media channels, dependent of time zones and media editing, can publish to the world media sites video & still images in many cases before we get to see it here in Australia. You can only image what the majority of international fans of motocross thought when they clicked on the Racer-X link to watch highlights of a round of the Australian MX championships. They were probably thinking that it was a round of a local hare scramble in the outback somewhere.

Someone within the state based management committee needs to investigate this issue to identify what occurred during lead up to the event, and more specifically what occurred on the weekend itself.  There should be some lessons learnt from this, as there should have been from previous events looking towards process and planning to ensure that there is not a repeat of this in the future.

At the end of the day MV made some very bold statements in their press release and the reality of the weekend is far removed from those statements, not withstanding that if the weather played a significant role in the result then it would been out of their control. I need to believe that Andrew Weiss & Paul Bray are at least a little bit embarrassed and disappointed as to the final outcome of the third Round of the 2013 Monster Energy MX Nationals.

Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 08:04:15 pm »
This is not the first time that Broadford has been subjected to such scrutiny in both the lead up to (&) post an event. I can remember a HBBB where the track was flooded to a point where the overflow of the irrigated water coming off the track flooded the camping area. If my memory serves me correct a Vintage Motocross Nationals a few years back suffered the same fate.

Don’t recall the HBBB episode but the Classic Nats and CD4 turned into a quagmire because of rain.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 08:13:17 pm »
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:02:27 pm by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 08:18:24 pm »
Don’t recall the HBBB episode but the Classic Nats and CD4 turned into a quagmire because of rain.

Geoff,
The Baker Clan, Gazza H & Andy M woke in the early hours of the morning to water running through their campsite. For a brief moment it was comical till we worked out where the water originated from.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 08:59:02 pm »
yep the same fool is in control of the watering system it seems.
The sprinklers were left on most of the night .
Anyone with half a brain knows the place is on a hill with very bad drainage why this hasn't been upgraded beats me or if it has
they didn't do it to well.
In the case of the nats it was mother nature
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 09:26:46 pm »
I was there at sparrow fart and the track looked awsome untill Josh cachia (title contender) seamed to be struggling to get around. It was good to see how different riders attacked different sections. Alot of breath holding moments were had watching them launch down the hills into foot deep ruts.
Ben Townley expressed his thought quite clear on his twitter account. He was there supporting Ford Dale and Ford happened to tweak a knee and looks to be out for season. There was alot of bike blowing out the crank case breathers like there was a volcano inside during practice.
As a spectator, i still enjoyed every bit of it, Matt Moss and Luke Styke were unbelievable and the technical/big balls risk taking definately showed amongst who was who.  Sniffed plenty of 2 stroke fumes this year which is usally very rare!  ;D
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 09:37:53 pm »
What a difference 6 days make. Rode the Mitchell ride day yesterday and apart from 3 or 4 sections of the track it was pretty bloody good, although it was obvious that excessive water had been "sprinkled" on the track in some sections the day/night before in an effort to reduce the possibility of dust on the Sunday.

People either love or hate the Broadford track, and there is no doubt that due to its location and environmental challenges it is a labor intensive facility but it needn't have turned out like it did weekend before last.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:44:51 pm by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 08:12:45 pm »
People either love or hate the Broadford track, and there is no doubt that due to its location and environmental challenges it is a labor intensive facility but it needn't have turned out like it did weekend before last.

Your right, and I bloody hate the prick of a joint! World Class you say, BULLSHIT! If anyone thinks it's world class, they obviously have not traveled OS and they clearly live under a rock in the Simpson Desert!

Barrabool, Manjimup, Conondale are true MX tracks, Take a leaf out of their books MA, bunch of goat tracks. You wonder why we struggle against the rest of the world MA? look no further!
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 04:16:14 pm »
UNBELIEVABLE........ You'd think the track preppers would know NOT to leave the water on overnight. They've seen what happens to the track when they do. STUPID to the point of being MORONIC.

You'd also think that with the money that is made from HBBB alone there would be "world class" amenities. Not only for the spectators but the race teams who spend gazzillions getting their respective riders around the country.

What really peevs me is the fact that the road race crew have great amenities. The speedway lot have great amenities. What about the MX people MA/MV?

How about you improve OUR facilities and stop buying relics to put in YOUR museum! That $10K CZ you recently bought would have gone a long way to building some DECENT and HYGIENIC amenities at the MX circuit. If not that then some decent drainage around the track.

I've personally seen the septics FAIL at both toilets at the MX track. I had to move my camp site at the top of the hill one year so I didn't get washed away with the effluent! And the showers....well, what do you say? CRAP!

You had a good crew of racers over from Tassie for the Nats in 2010 and they had to put up with the smell of shite all weekend.....not to mention the dust from every vehicle that went past. And the overflow from the showers. Allegedly they were given the best spot! 

It's still the same to this day.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 04:58:13 pm »
MA run the HBBB, MV own the circuit, they didn't make ALL that money out of the event.

MA bought the CZ not MV.

One toilets/showers block is new 12 months ago, the MX track has 2 toilet/shower blocks!

But I agree with you that MA/MV continue to have unsatisfied licence holders.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 05:02:48 pm »
After discussions with staff at the circuit, apparently it was Kevin Williams (Kev runs the whole show) that requested the watering, I am surprised that Kev doesn't know better?!!  He use to race and still gets on a bike, I'm speechless  :-(

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 08:02:54 pm »
After discussions with staff at the circuit, apparently it was Kevin Williams (Kev runs the whole show) that requested the watering, I am surprised that Kev doesn't know better?!!  He use to race and still gets on a bike, I'm speechless  :-(

Yep, I'm not surprised, he is self obsessed fork wit. SAY NO MORE!!
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!