Author Topic: RD350 Dirt Tracker  (Read 83710 times)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RD350 Dirt Tracker
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2013, 10:35:28 pm »
Pete, can you cut a bigger scallop out of the back edge of the tank to get it sitting lower? I cut a little half moon so it'd fit the Hindall frame but it still needed to go lower as on yours.

Do you think the tank needs to go lower Mark? It lines up well with the seat now and I can't get the seat any lower.

Love your work Pete, as always it's looking good.
The T20 is for sale if anyone is interested?
It's still an original, 99% complete road bike but has been completely stripped down.

Thanks Steve. Still happy to help with the T20 if you want to do it a little further down the track.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2013, 11:01:30 pm »
Maybe l was looking at it funny Pete, it looks fine now. That's the first bike I've seen that particular tank suit.  Alan and I tried it on 3 or 4 different bikes and it looked odd on them all.
Good work old mate.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2013, 07:19:55 am »
Finished the lower rear shock mounts and made up the wheel adjusters,

Found a pair of handlebars that are a bit higher and feel good sitting on the bike,

Just need to make the side numberplate mounts and the battery box mounts and the frame can be stripped and fully welded.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2013, 06:30:55 pm »
Stripped the front wheel, polished the rim, made some spokes and then assembled the wheel. Need to make some spacers to suit the forks and then weld a lug on for the brake plate locator. Just using the standard old conical Yamaha hub which are easy to find and work very well.

Unfortunately work stops for a while as I have to go back overseas until just before Christmas.

mainline

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2013, 06:47:24 pm »
you've had another busy weekend!

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2013, 07:07:55 pm »
Pete I would have a disc braked wheel if you prefer one.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2013, 07:53:32 pm »
Hi Pete, great work. Curiosity is driving me nuts though and without any intent to start another rules bun fight.

Which class will this build fit at a National?

Cheers, mate.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2013, 08:10:05 pm »
That is looking great Pete the RD rim that you sent me I had re chromed and it came up really nice I will lace them soon and send you a picture, thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2013, 08:20:12 pm »
Pete I would have a disc braked wheel if you prefer one.

Thanks for the kind offer Graeme, but I'll stick with the drum. I was thinking about using the original disc off the RD but the conical hubs are nice and light and are easy to set up to work effectively. They are unobtrusive and I'm trying to keep with the traditional flat tracker look.

Hi Pete, great work. Curiosity is driving me nuts though and without any intent to start another rules bun fight.

Which class will this build fit at a National?

Cheers, mate.

Hey Mick, I'm thinking that it should fit in pre 75, and with dirt track not being as regulated as MX I'm hoping that the non original swing arm and frame geometry won't cause too many problems. If it becomes an issue I'll make a street bike out of it, or push it into the shed next to the B40 ;D

That is looking great Pete the RD rim that you sent me I had re chromed and it came up really nice I will lace them soon and send you a picture, thanks Michael.

Thanks Michael, glad you could use the rim. Look forward to seeing some photos.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2013, 08:29:17 pm »
Hey Mick, I'm thinking hat it should fit in pre 75, and with dirt track not being as regulated as MX I'm hoping that the non original swing arm and frame geometry won't cause too many problems. If it becomes an issue I'll make a street bike out of it, or push it into the shed next to the B40 ;D

Thanks Pete, sort of what I was thinking. Have I missed something? is there a special Twin class in DT now that it can run in as well? 
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2013, 08:33:36 pm »
Looking great Pete wish we had dirt track down here . Some down here are talking oval style grass track should be fun if enough get behind it .
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2013, 08:48:51 pm »
Hey Mick, I'm thinking hat it should fit in pre 75, and with dirt track not being as regulated as MX I'm hoping that the non original swing arm and frame geometry won't cause too many problems. If it becomes an issue I'll make a street bike out of it, or push it into the shed next to the B40 ;D

Thanks Pete, sort of what I was thinking. Have I missed something? is there a special Twin class in DT now that it can run in as well? 
I believe there are a number of people working feverishly on their twins in anticipation of a class for them, Mick - at least I hope they are...

Looking great Pete wish we had dirt track down here . Some down here are talking oval style grass track should be fun if enough get behind it .

Oval style grass track would be great Iain, hope it comes off.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RD350 Dirt Trackerq
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2013, 08:49:51 pm »

[/quote]

If it becomes an issue I'll make a street bike out of it, or push it into the shed next to the B40
If it becomes an issue I"ll stone the complainer we need more bikes / riders / entrants
IMO for Flattrackers the engine is the unit

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RD350 Dirt Trackerq
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2013, 10:35:01 am »

If it becomes an issue I'll make a street bike out of it, or push it into the shed next to the B40
If it becomes an issue I"ll stone the complainer we need more bikes / riders / entrants
IMO for Flattrackers the engine is the unit
[/quote]
Pete you have had a week off
More photos????

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »
Sorry Graeme, away down the coast, but I did manage to sneak the tailpiece down there to straighten it up a bit. Told my wife it was part of the scoop off our boat 8)

Think that she may be on to me though.... ;D ;D ;D

Back into it later next week before I go back overseas.