Author Topic: RD350 Dirt Tracker  (Read 83718 times)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RD350 Dirt Tracker
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:41 pm »
It's funny you should mention that Mark, as I tried a couple of different Maico tanks and a Bully tank, and they all looked pretty good, but the old fibreglass worried me. That shiny new ethanol resistant Knight tank is the ticket.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2013, 07:51:35 pm »
I've just found an RD350 sitting under a verandah. It is in better nick than Pete's but not by much.
How much should I offer ?
regards  Mark

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2013, 11:37:47 pm »

I've just found an RD350 sitting under a verandah. It is in better nick than Pete's but not by much.
How much should I offer ?
regards  Mark
I was lucky getting mine for nothing Mark, but I would reckon if you could pick it up for $500 - $600 you would be doing pretty well.....even up to a thousand if you have to as you won't have any trouble on-selling it if you need to. I really hope you get it and build one up.

Progress on mine has ground to a halt as I am still O/S but I am busting to get back and get stuck into it. I think it will be a hoot to ride, particularly as all the Yanks say you have to be crazy to ride one.

Pete.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:58 pm »
 Thanks Pete,
I didn't think an old RD would be worth that much. Might be worth chasing.
Hmmm,.....RD Longtracker or an RD Flat tracker .
cheers   Mark

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2013, 10:42:48 pm »
Any more progress?

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2013, 11:21:47 pm »
Just back from China last Thursday Graeme, so back into it this week, finally.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:24 pm »
Settled back in at home and started doing some work on the RD. Made up the seat mounts, coil brackets and rear shock mounts.

The tunnel in the Knight tank that Firko was kind enough to donate is really wide so made up some mounts to use Yamaha tank rubbers to give it a bit of stability. The tank only mounts on a single centre bolt so this should stop it flopping around.

Next will be a proper centre bolt mount for the tank, steering stops and gussetting around the steering head.

Everything is just tacked together for the mock-up. Once that's all finished the frame will be stripped bare and fully welded prior to painting.
Putting off making the pipes as I'm not really sure about the design at this stage ???

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2013, 11:25:13 pm »
Broadford Pete. Welcome home matey.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2013, 11:26:47 pm »
2 up the RHS only way to go
I see the seat/base
what tank?

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 11:39:37 pm »
2 up the RHS only way to go
I see the seat/base
what tank?

Knight tank Graeme, courtesy of Uncle Firko.

Two pipes up the right hand side was always the plan, just need to get my head around the design.

Broadford Pete. Welcome home matey.

Thanks Mark. Broadford's on for sure.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2013, 12:10:48 am »
Pete its always nice to see your work. You are a true credit to your craft.   8)  Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:34 am »
The tank was still a little floppy so a saddle was made up and glassed into place with enough clearance between the saddle and the frame for a thin piece of insertion rubber,

Made the top tank mount and tacked in into place, bit fiddly to get it into the right spot,

Tank and seat bolted up and the line between the two looks pretty good. Tanks and seats not lining up spoils the whole look of a bike, in my opinion,

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2013, 05:08:33 pm »
This is along the lines of my T20 Suzuki weapon that Pete was keen to help me with, injury and financial's put a stop to that
Hey Steve, do you still have the Suzuki Hustler? I reckon once you make a start start on it, the motivation to finish it will come back. Finishing the little 360 tracker that had sat gathering dust for two years has pumped a lot of my previously missing mojo back into my system to the point that I'm jumped straight into the next job....finally finishing the Hindall motocrosser which has had four or five false starts over four years. Finishing a race project is the best cure to all sorts of ailments, I'd almost forgotten why I started doing this in the first place but it's all clear now. ;) Give it a shot Steve, you know you want to blow Jimmy and his new/old Trumpy off ;D

stick the 315 barrels and carbs onit  ;) still comeing to grips what the zook was mauling out there in the real world, no wonder they called them the Norton slayers

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »
Pete, can you cut a bigger scallop out of the back edge of the tank to get it sitting lower? I cut a little half moon so it'd fit the Hindall frame but it still needed to go lower as on yours. It's looking pretty good though. That tank mount's looking pretty groovy matey. I'll be making a start on the OW soon too. I'm parking all the motocross projects until I get it up and running.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:55:37 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2013, 08:25:25 pm »
Love your work Pete, as always it's looking good.
The T20 is for sale if anyone is interested?
It's still an original, 99% complete road bike but has been completely stripped down.