Author Topic: Does VMX in Australia need a refresh?  (Read 38370 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Does VMX in Australia need a refresh?
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »
Really I don't see why there can't be two tracks utilised at the Bonanza, one for the non-comp rider and one for the races, I think it could bring in even more paying spectators?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2013, 08:28:04 pm »
So do i John great idea
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Curly3

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2013, 08:29:14 pm »
It aint broke and niether is VDT, as TM Bill said its more economic issues today.
Involvement is and should always be open to anyone at any level even if you don't race yourself.
To suggest anything else is ludicrous.

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2013, 09:25:57 pm »
Really I don't see why there can't be two tracks utilised at the Bonanza, one for the non-comp rider and one for the races, I think it could bring in even more paying spectators?

I don't think it would work John the cost for Insurance / Permit fees
      between the 2 is a fair bit going on what has been said early in this
      tread..
      Plus the weekend is Pre 85 Exibition events..
      I don't think the MX boys would be too keen to give up there track...

The Stig.

albrid-3

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2013, 09:41:45 pm »
These threat start off with good thoughts and suggestion to help the sport prosper and then it turns to shit, and I can see why people walk away and don't come back, John you are onto something
There are members in our club CSC that don`t want to race anymore, all they would like to do is go to a place like a paddock or broadford and just have a ride on their bikes without the fuss, and the high cost.
Stick to guns John and don`t listen to a lot of these wankers on this forum, and some of us are also looking into that, we also have a few land option in the making.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:52:47 pm by Dave #6 »

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:53 pm »
Very difficult to compare state to state. Really vmx in Qld is a brisbane based population. (Spent a decade in the Whitsunday's and really there are only a handful dotted in Gladstone, Mackay, Prossy, Townsville. Would imagine WA is the same being Perth based. NSW is a different story with many riders  all over the place. While  Vic looks small on a map but travel from Frankston to Mortlake isn't just round the corner. Each state has its own geographical unique situations that mimic many other sport problems. Look at the National Basketball League 14 teams a decade ago, 7 next year as Townsville Crocs went belly up last week. Times are lean, ride when and where you can afford and enjoy. My interest based in pre78 mx and dirt track/speedway, feel the post classic situation is a shame and perhaps we need to via our clubs lobby MA to make all fees easier for Classics as it is a recreation based sport not one where riders are trying to escalate to the international stage.
Rosco86

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2013, 09:56:00 pm »
Ok , now we are talking again . That brings me to the next question . To be classed as a VMX brother , do you have to race ?
Or are you still classed  a VMX  enthusiast if you just like to put around for the sake of memories ?  

If you aren't then there is something real wrong with the communities mindset .

albrid-3

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2013, 10:00:15 pm »
I think broadford is in a very good position, rider can meet every month if they wish toot at the dirt track or speedway, or motocross track or road race track just to have a ride, no racing just a fun day out. It has a lot to offer, 2 hour drive for me, Avalon is also another venue that could be used for speedway, 30 min from melbourne. Rallycross at Calder could be another venue (Just a thought)

albrid-3

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:34 pm »
Whether you like to race or not it should make any difference, I have been racing motocross from 1972, just because I have not race for a long time doesn't make me any different, racing is not on my high priority list,
and all we would like to do is meet a natural terrain paddock, with a small or large group of same minded people and have some fun with out the bullshit and cost, But in saying all that, Boardford complex could easily hold a race meeting of any description at a HBBB easter weekend. They just need the volunteers to support. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:34:24 pm by Dave #6 »

STW996

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2013, 11:10:54 am »
I was going to start another thread but will take the time to use this one to put forward what are my comments.

After reading the thread on the Post Vintage nats I think most people need to rethink things and the way events are run and put forward. In business we would look at the product we have and taylor it to suit the times and what the guidelines are as set by the governing body.

So I looked at the MA GCR'S re Australian championships and less I am missing something do not see a set guideline to running the event (outside of the MA flag and logos??)

Now NSW is not the bigest supporter of the post vintage movement, please don't get up in arms that is fact (I have backround to this so PM me if you want to gripe), so to put on an event over three days with a below average number of base supporters is always going to be hard. Add to that the format of approx 17 minute heat races spread over three days and you have lost another fair percentage of riders that may have travelled.

I see on the thread for Post vintage the numbers are at 71 so in my mind that is still not a bad turn out. well yes for a three day event but not for a one day event. (I can here the shouting now ONE DAY EVENT FOR AN AUSSIE TITLE), well why not? run races concurrent for the age groups (or just dont run at all) as say over / under 50 and 3 x 10 minute races. you can arrive Saturday PM set up, race Sunday (including practice) and drive home Sunday night / Monday morning. Cost is down for everyone, action is up as all is in one day and the best of the best will still win. Seems to work for the American AMA? Remember it is a national title and not a get together we already have two events like that on the calender so a title should be a get on with the show approach.

I think we also need to look at the state sub-commitees to put forward guidelines as to the running of VMX events and this will take some of the problems out of the event, a national standard for the event. also maybe a expressions of interest on the MA website (could be done as an email alert) so clubs like the Lakes are better informed as to a preceived number that WILL attend and not the hey Shit I will enter response of the Forum people.

Times are tuff people I can atest to that as my business sales are down 30% and my work hours are up 30% to try and keep afloat, so like it or not numbers will be down and people will choose to stay more local in their approach to racing.

We need to taylor thinks for the times and not just have events fall on their arse year after year. If the event was a one day event I for one would reconsider running, who else??

Regards

Shane Wilson
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:17:31 am by STW996 »

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2013, 11:22:44 am »
Agreed Shane, thanks.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2013, 11:43:19 am »
agree..
Classic titles are a whole different ball game to mx titles and this needs to be recognized with all those MA persons/scb and hosting clubs organising one.

Three days in three years time for sure,but not yet.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2013, 11:58:55 am »
I agree - my stance has always been, and risking pissing off the racers again, VMX is different (to state the obvious) with a SIGNIFICANT number of people in for the "lifestyle/atmosphere" as opposed to sheepstations - isn't that why CD and HBBB are so successful.  Maybe a Titles even for us is not needed - will be for tHE 5% of us that are at the pointy end but many others of us (maybe) feel it is geting too serious and expensive so will do as I so regularly get told to do and go to a social event rather than a race event - but leaves the race event to be economical/successful/up there with a very smallr acer base?  VMXWA is an extremely successful club - don't race for points, don't have annual titles just get out and enjoy whever you are.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:27 pm »
I was going to start another thread but will take the time to use this one to put forward what are my comments.

After reading the thread on the Post Vintage nats I think most people need to rethink things and the way events are run and put forward. In business we would look at the product we have and taylor it to suit the times and what the guidelines are as set by the governing body.

So I looked at the MA GCR'S re Australian championships and less I am missing something do not see a set guideline to running the event (outside of the MA flag and logos??)

Now NSW is not the bigest supporter of the post vintage movement, please don't get up in arms that is fact (I have backround to this so PM me if you want to gripe), so to put on an event over three days with a below average number of base supporters is always going to be hard. Add to that the format of approx 17 minute heat races spread over three days and you have lost another fair percentage of riders that may have travelled.

I see on the thread for Post vintage the numbers are at 71 so in my mind that is still not a bad turn out. well yes for a three day event but not for a one day event. (I can here the shouting now ONE DAY EVENT FOR AN AUSSIE TITLE), well why not? run races concurrent for the age groups (or just dont run at all) as say over / under 50 and 3 x 10 minute races. you can arrive Saturday PM set up, race Sunday (including practice) and drive home Sunday night / Monday morning. Cost is down for everyone, action is up as all is in one day and the best of the best will still win. Seems to work for the American AMA? Remember it is a national title and not a get together we already have two events like that on the calender so a title should be a get on with the show approach.

I think we also need to look at the state sub-commitees to put forward guidelines as to the running of VMX events and this will take some of the problems out of the event, a national standard for the event. also maybe a expressions of interest on the MA website (could be done as an email alert) so clubs like the Lakes are better informed as to a preceived number that WILL attend and not the hey Shit I will enter response of the Forum people.

Times are tuff people I can atest to that as my business sales are down 30% and my work hours are up 30% to try and keep afloat, so like it or not numbers will be down and people will choose to stay more local in their approach to racing.

We need to taylor thinks for the times and not just have events fall on their arse year after year. If the event was a one day event I for one would reconsider running, who else??

Regards

Shane Wilson
Valid points but three months too late. Lakes club TAILORED the event to our wishes at the time with exception of a three day event and lack of camping.  I will add that maybe race length should be reflected in age. Younger age class more, older less.

I agree - my stance has always been, and risking pissing off the racers again, VMX is different (to state the obvious) with a SIGNIFICANT number of people in for the "lifestyle/atmosphere" as opposed to sheepstations - isn't that why CD and HBBB are so successful.  Maybe a Titles even for us is not needed - will be for tHE 5% of us that are at the pointy end but many others of us (maybe) feel it is geting too serious and expensive so will do as I so regularly get told to do and go to a social event rather than a race event - but leaves the race event to be economical/successful/up there with a very smallr acer base?  VMXWA is an extremely successful club - don't race for points, don't have annual titles just get out and enjoy whever you are.
the last two nationals entries say that there is a want for title events. Socials do social events, racers do racer events and some cross over both ways. To say only 5% want to race is more your perspective. Thing is that even at a race event there is still a social vibe which makes it appealing as well.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2013, 12:24:48 pm »
  geting too serious and expensive 

So is Christmas but we still do it  :P 
Its a National Title...the best of the best  8)
Its tradition and if we all though we'd be mid pack no one would even enter..

I loved seeing you all dressed up ready to kill  ;D
Best is in the West !!